Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Carry Position

OP asked about firearm choice. A G19 with a gadget, a P2000SK, depending on how baggy your pants are in front, or even a P2000 could work. G19 sized 9mms or smaller work well with a Smartcarry. An advantage to the P2000sk or P2000 would be a longer trigger-pull in a place where trigger is not protected by a hard holster.
    If double stack is too fat, you could do a Wather PPS, Glock 43, or Kahr single stack of some type.
    Then again, one could always go J-frame...
    Last edited by Cincinnatus; 01-28-2016 at 12:41 AM.

though company policy does not permit concealed carry,
    Until this changes it's a moot point. It doesn't matter if the director is good with it. Unless it's allowable by company policy, you're on your own if things go sideways. In that scenario, the director will simply deny any knowledge of it and throw you under the bus to save his skin. Any kind of letter drawn up between you and your boss will be worthless unless it's approved of in policy. Trying to circumvent policy by those means won't be worth much when you're both fired.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post

Here's some further unsolicited advice: carrying is your business, and not the business of your employer, director, manager, coworkers, whatever. There is no significant upside to random people knowing that you're carrying, and in particularly anti-gun industries like healthcare, huge, colossal potential downsides. If I were you, I would never mention carry to this director ever again, and pretend you've instead decided to preach passive non-violence if ever asked about it. But I suppose your mileage may vary.
    That.

I'm a nurse in a skilled nursing facility. Our parent company has a funding contract with the state and the vast majority of our resident's are DHR placed...in other words, just about all of my patients are there because they have some really shitty folks in their lives. If someone comes in and wants the narcs..."here's the keys, here's how you get the drawers open"...however, if someone comes in and wants to harm one of my resident's or in the case of something like San Bernardino, harm ALL of my resident's, well, we'll burn that bridge when we get to it. I WILL NOT however, be discussing whether or not I'm armed in any way, with any of my co-workers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Until this changes it's a moot point. It doesn't matter if the director is good with it. Unless it's allowable by company policy, you're on your own if things go sideways. In that scenario, the director will simply deny any knowledge of it and throw you under the bus to save his skin. Any kind of letter drawn up between you and your boss will be worthless unless it's approved of in policy. Trying to circumvent policy by those means won't be worth much when you're both fired.

I'm afraid this ^^^ trumps the "mutual agreement letter" idea. There is just no way you want to risk the rest of your life on a letter, IMHO.

I also just noticed that I put a possessive apostrophe on the word residents every time I typed it. I'm so used to doing nurses notes and typing about the "resident's" behavior/medications/belongings/statements/etc. that my brain automatically tells my fingers to put an 's on the end of the word.

Smartcarry with a G42/43 size gun or smaller. A couple years ago I carried in a NPE almost everyday for 7 months. I typically carried a Sig 238 in a Smartcarry. Some days a G27.

With the amount of applications for a smartcarry/belly band type of deal, I'm surprised and dismayed no one has tried to make a sort of nylon/kydex hybrid. I could see a thin kydex pancake being retained by a nylon belly band, am I stupid or what? I've never actually seen or tried one of these nylon belly carry things.

edit: the thread made me curious, so I googled a little. it turns out such a thing exists: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...s/Default.aspx

I've never noticed anyone talking about it, though.
    Last edited by jellydonut; 02-07-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    With the amount of applications for a smartcarry/belly band type of deal, I'm surprised and dismayed no one has tried to make a sort of nylon/kydex hybrid. I could see a thin kydex pancake being retained by a nylon belly band, am I stupid or what? I've never actually seen or tried one of these nylon belly carry things.
    I know there's the 3speed but that's not Kydex. Problem I see is added bulk and may not conform as well.

There's not much bulk in the 3Speed Holster. The difference between that and my Kydex AIWB holster is the rigidity of a thick gun belt actually conceals a compact or full size firearm better. But for people who wear scrubs, or belt less active wear it's a great alternative.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kennydale; 02-08-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Advice on Carry Position

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post

edit: the thread made me curious, so I googled a little. it turns out such a thing exists: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...s/Default.aspx

I've never noticed anyone talking about it, though.
    I got one many years ago. Some of the stitching holding the two layers of the belly band ripped the first time I stretched it to the extent of the elastic (34" waist here, so I don't think this one's on me). Otherwise, the band is nice enough as belly bands go, with a pistol pocket and two magazine pockets sewn in and lots of Velcro for adjustability.

The Kydex portion, while decently molded to the gun, has a very thick backer on it which makes the whole package bulkier than a simple IWB holster. That plus the fact that the Velcro interface between the stick-on Kydex holster and the Velcro on the band gives you an occasional tell-tale ripping sound as you move throughout the day pretty well relegated the Kydex part to the "it looked like a good idea" box of holsters.

I still use the belly band from time to time when apparel dictates, or when I manage to drag my lazy butt out for a run. But overall, I'd just skip it if I were you. I certainly wish I had.

EDIT: I should have checked out your link more thoroughly before the above response, it looks like they have addressed some of the issues I had with the product. But it also appears they may have deleted the sewn in pistol and mag pouches from the band itself. In general, I don't think there's a lot of love for the crossbreed stuff around here. Including from me, and I own the above holster (older style) and an AIWB holster from them.
    Last edited by Rick_ICT; 02-09-2016 at 02:47 AM.

User Tag List