Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Carry Position

Advice on Carry Position

I recently began a position at a healthcare facility and was surprised to hear that they are at least considering an active shooter disaster response scenario. This really ramped up after the San Bernardino incident. We are an unlocked facility (not allowed to change this either) and house a lot of prescription narcotics, which seem to be the drugs of choice aside from crystal meth, for the local drug populous in nearby counties. However, they are uncertain as to what to do because it is not a “drill” we can run as our residents would certainly be frightened. Their “best” option: install a panic button.

After some conversation with our director, though company policy does not permit concealed carry, he is ok with it AS LONG AS there is NO printing whatsoever. He does not want any residents or even some of the staff to have a clue that employees there have a firearm.

Now the interesting part; my initial suggestion was to hire a security guard or someone who had previous LEO/MIL training and have them carry. The former was not an option and trying to find someone in our town that is in the industry we are in that has former LEO/MIL training is like finding a needle in a haystack. We had a long conversation about concealed carry and folks needing training to be competent. He agreed. He is willing to reimburse for between 50-75% for the costs of a class and ammo. Travel is on me. He wants to wait until after my initial 90 days so as there is no question to why I am not there in my trial period.

I have read the thread on suit carry and there is some great advice there. However, this situation is unique as one minute I may be in a suit and tie while another I may be passing food trays or helping a fallen patient. During the latter and most of the time while I am in the facility, I typically have my suit coat off.

Given the above situation, what would be my best option for carry position? I am really leaning towards pocket or ankle given the need to be discrete.

Also, what would be the best gun for this? All I currently have are full size service pistols. I would like to stick with a semi auto 9mm.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Given your requirements, something like a "Smart Carry" or "Thunderwear" may be your best option. Speed of draw is not of ultimately concern for you, absolute ability to conceal is. So, the benefit of a Thunderwear set up is it conceals very well unless you wear very tight pants, and even if someone notices a little "printing" over your crotch, they are not likely to mention it.

Given that you may be helping patients up, which also makes me thing you may get the occasional hug from a resident or the like, shoulder holsters under the shirt, belly bands, etc. can be felt and detected during those "encounters". IWB is going to be problematic for the same reasons, plus at least some indication of a pistol is likely to remain visible.

I'm sure there are other viable options, but I carried a single stack in Thunderwear when I worked IT for 3 years and never got made at work.

I've had great success with a Shield in a stiff leather pocket holster.

If he is good with it, who is going to do the inspections for " No Printing"? Most people really don't have a EFING CLUE, and those that do.. well, it will be hard to hide it from them anyway. As long as everything is legal CCW wise, who's to say a bulge, bump.... What ever is actually a concealed weapon, it could be anything.

Smartcarry sounds ideal for this situation. In normal cloths and a small gun, nobody that doesn't grab your junk will ever know.

Keep in mind that it's a softer material than leather or kydex; personally I won't carry anything with a light or short trigger in it. Some people do, however.

Here's some further unsolicited advice: carrying is your business, and not the business of your employer, director, manager, coworkers, whatever. There is no significant upside to random people knowing that you're carrying, and in particularly anti-gun industries like healthcare, huge, colossal potential downsides. If I were you, I would never mention carry to this director ever again, and pretend you've instead decided to preach passive non-violence if ever asked about it. But I suppose your mileage may vary.

Definitely thunderwear or smartcarry.

Others here are way more expert regarding your OP. I'd probably look at pocket carry with a G43 in a quality holster, FWIW.

But I'm really chiming in to say that your boss is cooler than hell. At least on this matter.

Smart carry or belly band, body dependent.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

One other bit of advice not mentioned by others. If it is against company policy to carry a firearm, but your Director is condoning it, I would highly suggest you draft a letter that states as much and both of you sign it. In the event that something were to happen and you were forced, or chose, to discharge your firearm, you do not want to be the only one left standing after the music stops. Losing a job is one thing, but you're opening yourself up to civil suits because you ignored part, or all, of the company weapons policy. In effect, you acted alone, and alone you will stand.

The CEO where I work is thrilled that I carry, and often chats me up about it, but we both agreed that a letter specifically granting permission to do so was prudent to protect all parties.

Here is the simple letter I drafted and used, just to give you an idea. You're welcome to use it if you believe it covers all the bases with your employer. It's one big run-on sentence, but most legal documents are.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMPLE LETTER View Post

27 Jan 2016

XXXX,

This letter serves as official request, and confirmation with your signature as President and Chief Executive Officer, express permission to carry my personal firearm(s) in accordance with Florida law, as covered by my State of Florida issued Concealed Weapon License, into the offices of XXXXXXX XXX located at 1234 Sample LN Sunnyville, FL 54321.

Craig X. XXXXXX:______________________________________ Date:__________________________

Dr. XXXX XXXXX:______________________________________ Date:__________________________
    Last edited by StraitR; 01-27-2016 at 11:32 PM.

What has been said ...smart carry or thunderwear. That being said I also used the activeprogear deep concealment shoulder holster and it worked ok. You have to wear patterned shirts as you can see it through a white dress shirt. It can also be constricting during hot days.

As far as gun...any good single stack 9mm...g43, shield, pps.
    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 01-28-2016 at 12:40 AM.

User Tag List