Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stage Planning Tip From Julie Golob

Stage Planning Tip From Julie Golob

I was browsing some videos on Youtube, looking for information on stage breakdown in USPSA. Found this one, which had a piece of advice in it that would probably be good for me to pay more attention to - making sure to do the walkthrough at a real, honest speed that matches the way we will actually shoot the stage. Very clearly illustrated in the side-by-side video segment.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Very nice!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The point is particularly well made since Ms. Golob is so precise about physical position and placement. Not to knock the we-all-agree-godlike Mr. White, but contrasting his runs in Dundee with that video gives clues to the difference between his class and hers. Please no one take that negatively -- I am just astounded at Ms. G's athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The point is particularly well made since Ms. Golob is so precise about physical position and placement. Not to knock the we-all-agree-godlike Mr. White, but contrasting his runs in Dundee with that video gives clues to the difference between his class and hers. Please no one take that negatively -- I am just astounded at Ms. G's athleticism.
    Just to clarify, Julie is an A class shooter and Mr White is a master class shooter (or gm?, I dont remember). Classification does not always tell the whole story, as I know Ive mentioned before.

JAD, I'm not sure I understand, unless you meant that I pretty much stunk it up at the match the other day, and didn't break down and execute stages at that match as well as Julie Golob did in the stage/narration in the video. If so, no disagreement from me. There are a lot of people better at USPSA than I.

SLG, I'm M in Limited. I figure GM is a ways off...

Anyway, just posted the video because I thought it was a good tip, and one that I should pay more attention to.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    JAD, I'm not sure I understand, unless you meant that I pretty much stunk it up at the match the other day, and didn't break down and execute stages at that match as well as Julie Golob did in the stage/narration in the video. If so, no disagreement from me. There are a lot of people better at USPSA than I.

SLG, I'm M in Limited. I figure GM is a ways off...

Anyway, just posted the video because I thought it was a good tip, and one that I should pay more attention to.
    Copy.

My comment was in no way directed at you, since i have no idea what video is being discussed. It was a completely generalized comment. When it comes to stage strategy and planning, very few top 16 men come close to Julie in ability. More than one has told me after a run that they should have done it the way she did.

Understood SLG!
    Lord of the Food Court

My bad. I had those positions reversed in my brain, having forgotten that GW made master a while ago. Again I apologize and hope it doesn't come off in any way as disparaging.

My point was not that Mr. White stunk it up, but that while he is possibly a better or faster shooter than Ms. G, he doesn't demonstrate the same whole-body physical precision that she does, at least in those two examples. Stage planning goes into it, but it's also a sort of athleticism.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I get you better now JAD, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't taking offense anyway, I just didn't completely understand. I definitely did not shoot a good match the other day, but am very optimistic that is the reminder I needed so I can resume doing so. I hear you on the point of athleticism. There are some pretty darn nimble and briskly-moving people in USPSA and they definitely seem to benefit from it. I went and found the match video from the Open guy who won high overall combined the other day and looked at the stage where I had such a hard time with the extreme leans - he actually shot it very similarly to me, but obviously dealt with the leans a lot better.
    Lord of the Food Court

It just struck me -- I haven't shot the sport in a long time and don't watch much match video, and it stuck out. JG may have an extra dose because of her participation in several disciplines -- I should go look at video of Koenig and see if there's a parallel.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List