Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Natural POA?

Finding Natural POA?

I was reading in another topic when I saw someone mention this, and decided to explore exactly what natural point of aim is.

While I've discerned what it is, I'm a bit perplexed on how to determine and troubleshoot one's natural POA. I've experimented with one method where you swivel turret-style back and forth until coming to a naturally comfortable position. I've wound up with numerous results from off left to off right and then hi's and lows.

I'm requesting insight and advice on ways to more effectively establish my natural POA.

What would be the point in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    What would be the point in this?
    From what I'm lead to believe, more instinctively accurate draws and easier/faster transitions between targets are some benefits to be gained.

I used to do this all the time but now its just a natural stance for me so i dont have to bother with it.

Stand in front of your target, in a natural fighting stance.

Look at the target and draw your pistol.

Put your pistol sights on the target.

Get a good sight picture.

Close your eyes.

Sweep your gun right to left two or three times and settle on where you think the target should be.

Open your eyes.

Do not move your arms or your head to make the align.

Move your feet and you feet only.

Once you get the sights in the correct area, reeat the eyes closed sweep.

Do it until you can get the sights aligned on target each time.

Everytime you move your feet do this. Every time you come upto the firing line do this. Eventually itll be natural for you without doung it at all.

I do a modified version sometimes, where i draw my pistol close my eyes and extend it from high ready to the target. If i am on target cool, if not i shift my feet and do it again.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

VDM summed it up. Make sure your hips are changing orientation when you move your feet. Its not where you point the gun that matters, but how you address the target from the ground up, so the whole body has to shift, not just the upper body.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    VDM summed it up. Make sure your hips are changing orientation when you move your feet. Its not where you point the gun that matters, but how you address the target from the ground up, so the whole body has to shift, not just the upper body.
    Yeah that, forgot the "move at the hips" part.

Early morning typing...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I've never really been trained in it per se but have been exposed to the concept but that was mostly in the context of explaining shooting rifles and belt feds. A highly experienced trainer of security forces overseas tells me that when candidates go through their quals, the break down of their natural point of aim will really eat them up on the belt fed quals because as they traverse across targets that MG is going to drive back into where that natural point of aim is.

Because the pistol is the hand gun and the practical use of it may often call for movement and odd positions, is it far less of a factor? Versus fundamentals of grip and posture from the hips up for example?

Wondered about that. Good thread question.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The principles of what VDM stated can be applied to many firearms.

With prone rifle you get in position on target and relax, see if this shifts you off target. If it does move you off target, change your position slightly until you are back on target.
    You are trying for a bone brace position, as much as possible, rather than one dependent on muscle tension. When you shoot see how the rifle tracks in recoil. If it tracks to the side adjust until it tracks straight up and down.
    This is much easier with a tight shooting sling or with a rest or bipod. It can also be done in slung sitting.

As much as is possible I try to get so my position brings me back on target almost automatically. I find this helpful with any firearm.

I find that in non sling shooting positions i have to use more muscle tension but I still try to get a good a natural point of aim as I can.

What VDM suggests can be applied in principle to many positions and weapons although the details will vary.
    Last edited by 1slow; 01-26-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Because the pistol is the hand gun and the practical use of it may often call for movement and odd positions, is it far less of a factor? Versus fundamentals of grip and posture from the hips up for example?
    Ditto that question. Is this really applicable for practical pistol application for LE/civilian self-defense? Is the idea that you ingrain it so subconsciously that you'll automatically take that stance in a real encounter?

Natural point of aim applies to any firearm, but especially when you need follow up shots to go to the same place. Its importance for practical pistol can easily
    Be masked because of the lower accuracy standards, but ask any steel challenge competitor if it matters and they will assure you it does. They may use a different term though. Uspsa is the same way, but there are fewer arrays where you stand and shoot out in the open at multiple targets, so it isnt able to be used as often.

The machine gun example is a really good one, and when learning to qual on machine guns, i found it very important.

User Tag List