Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LE Training for Plain Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Oakley,'Wiley X and other shooting style sun glasses are also a giveaway.
    You must mean in addition to other factors of clothing/posture/presence, right? I'm not a LEO, I wear M-Frames pretty much whenever I'm outdoors, and I know quite a few other non-LEOs who also regularly wear Oakleys or similar. (Most either are currently or were previously athletes or outdoorsy folks of some sort.) I guess if criminals mistake us for cops and give us a wide berth as a result, I'm good with that, but I find it surprising.

Oakley,'Wiley X and other shooting style sun glasses are also a giveaway.
    Haha. Used to have a CI that always made me take my oakleys off when we'd go do deals. And they weren't even the typical cop oakleys. Said bad guys don't wear sunglasses.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Shoot me a pm, lets take this offline.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

The biggest issues usually aren't training related, it's mindset and maturity issues.

Rule #1: When you're at an active scene and things aren't under control yet, the patrol guy in uniform is always right.

You can' train an officer to drop the "by God I'm POLICE and I'm enforcing the Law!" attitude every time he sees some piddly crap going down. If you appear so innocuous that someone is comfortable doing a hand-to-hand in your vicinity, you're doing something right.

Protect your cars, they're your identity. Once a cars been burned it needs to go. Cars usually get burned by guys getting involved in crap they didn't need to get involved in.
    Last edited by pablo; 01-26-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Don't grow a goatee, don't wear cargo shorts, and don't all wear the same style of shoes
    Now there is something that should be in LE SOPs.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

LE Training for Plain Clothes

Random musings...

As far as my sunglasses comment, crooks do judge a book by its cover.

If you are prior military, you probably have a high and tight haircut. You may have a beard. You may wear tac looking boots or cargo pants. Military style tatts are on a lot of cops arms. Any one thing may not attract attention. But a few items off the list may make a crook think "cop" even thought you are just prior military.

You see these guys at the range. BDU pants, specific styles of shirts and hats, military style boots. The style screams cop even though they aren't.

My CI taught me a lot about what crooks talk about in jail. Some of that is how they look for cops. And they do look at sunglasses. Also, I set my car keys on the table at a taqueria. The CI told me to get the handcuff key of my car keys before I got him killed...

Back to the OP... Some more random thoughts...

When I was out in field more often, I would wear a black "police" t shirt as an undershirt. I would buy cheap ass over shirts at wall mart and good will. If we had to pop out and do work, I would just rip of the top shirt and drop it. Take off and do what needed to get done in the police T. If I lost the outer shirt? Who cares, it was a Good Will $2 shirt...

Also, You had mentioned doing drills from concealment. Make sure that your guys can re holster one handed, without looking. If you need to transition to less lethal or go hands on, a cheap, soft, floppy holster means you are not going to be able to re secure the pistol.

(We had an agent who had to pistol whip a bloody shirtless suspect. The bad guy jumped out a window and surprised our agent. Our guy had a cheap IWB holster and could not get the gun holstered. The fight was on. Bad guy got smacked. It was a bad situation and a hard lesson about having a quality holster...)
    Last edited by Gadfly; 01-26-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

My partner today, wearing the exact boots I was saying scream cop. In his defense, we were sitting in the car all day waiting for a guy to pull up to his front door, so no one saw the shoes...

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

My partner today, wearing the exact boots I was saying scream cop. In his defense, we were sitting in the car all day waiting for a guy to pull up to his front door, so no one saw the shoes...

Anyone carrying a Sig is allowed to wear whatever boots they want. :-)

oh gawd...stahp...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter

On sale at LA police gear around tax return time ?

On another note, your compadre needs a handcuff case. Besides the obvious issues associated with any type of SOB carry (back injury and getting your hands pinned behind you), you will eventually forget they are there when you need to use the toilet and you will hear a splash .......

Not that this has every happened to me .........
    Last edited by HCM; 01-27-2016 at 09:09 PM.

User Tag List