Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Catalog of Myths.

Site Supporter
    The Beretta 92 is more sensitive to dirt, dust, etc than other pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's not as much a myth as a maybe. We had an officer shot in the back of the head with a .25 and he thought he'd been punched. Turned around to see the stunned bad guy still pointing a gun at him, gunfight ensued, officer won and .25 guy lost. Last year I had a guy shot through a screen door and his shoe and get bruised with the bullet still in his shoe. Shooter was right on the other side of the door. Finally, guy shot himself under the chin in a suicide attempt, .25 bullet lodged in his pallet like a shiny tonsil hanging down. He couldn't talk real good, but wasn't in any danger of dying. .25's not even a good suicide gun...

I've seen it be fatal, but I've seen it not be fatal waaaaaaay more times.
    In addition to that, I'm sure many here know of cases when people get shot with X caliber (some of them "respectable" manstoppers) and don't even notice it until waay after the fighting/shooting has ended, even if the internal wound was significant. So much for "stopping power" myths...

Safest way to carry your gun is to not have one in the chamber. The Israeli military does it so it must be the best way.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    This is a thread that would really lend itself to a wiki.

I'd say the myths around what's bulletproof: learning what will, and what will not, reliably stop a bullet was a real eye opener for me. The first time I saw someone demo skipping a bullet off the hood of a car was stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    The Israeli military does it so it must be the best way.
    And pretty much anything involving the Israeli fetish. Also, the myth that anyone who has "done it for real" is too much of a secret squirrel to talk about their background ("I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you.")
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    I had an instructor in a subgun class class tell us "if you don't use solvent on your bore brush while cleaning you'll wear out the barrel".

I swear if I did not HAVE to have that certificate to to take back to my agency I would have walked out of that class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A J-Frame/Sub 2 inch snub is a "belly gun" and is only capable of adequate precision at very close range (3-7 yards).
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 01-26-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    The Moro insurgency was ended by the 1911.

The Japanese didn't invade the USA because there would be a gun behind every tree.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-26-2016 at 10:39 AM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    And pretty much anything involving the Israeli fetish.
    Among the mail-order commando set, Israelis are old and busted. Russians are the new hotness.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Among the mail-order commando set, Israelis are old and busted. Russians are the new hotness.
    ...are we still talking about guns?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ...are we still talking about guns?
    I guess it's kind of a twofer combination of systema and Pron.

I'm waiting for Russian hostage rescue techniques to become tactically fashionable...

User Tag List