Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sling Set-up on AR Rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I hear this from time to time, and I just don't get it. A two point is great for carrying the rifle behind you (like for climbing stuff or going hands on), and it is also good for...
    And good for carrying the rifle in front of me, and better controls the rifle in the unlikely event I need to transition to the pistol. That said, I do agree that...

A single point is better for every facet of shooting and gun handling...
    I haul around a rifle for 12 hours a day at work, but haven't shot anyone yet, so admittedly my perspective is colored by the fact that I carry a rifle far more than I shoot a rifle. You're absolutely right, for pure shooting, the single point is better. I should have qualified my statement based on how I employ a rifle. That said, other than those unconventional shooting positions, I haven't encountered many instances where the two point was a hinderance.

Sling Set-up on AR Rifle...

I hear this from time to time, and I just don't get it. A two point is great for carrying the rifle behind you (like for climbing stuff or going hands on), and it is also good for...

A single point is better for every facet of shooting and gun handling (except slinging up, which a true 2 point won't do either), except strapping the gun tightly to you. If you are going to run a single point, I think it is mandatory to either have a convertible to 2 point sling, or to wear a weapons catch. I wore a weapons catch for many years, but when I started carrying a breaching shotgun in the catch, that didn't work anymore, and now I much prefer a convertible, so problem solved.

My main, issued weapon has a convertible sling on it, since most of the time it gets used for cqb type stuff. My personal weapons all have adjustable 2 (or 3 point slings on them so I can actually use them as shooting aids), because if'n it's personal, I'm unlikely to have gear on me, and more likely to want to do other things with the gun, like sling up for a difficult shot. In that case, I use a PIG sling, and it is attached as it has to be to work properly.
    I certainly respect that you have a much more serious career using guns, probably more experience than me, etc...

However, your experience is not at all similar to mine. (With the exception of convertible slings.) I like using a single point sling for subguns, and a three point sling if there is no chance of wearing a plate carrier with any mags mounted, I'm not going prone, etc., meaning, in a t-shirt, at the range, a three point sling is great. And with a subgun, a single point sling is great.

Outside of that, for me, I have found the two-point, rapidly-adjustable sling to be king. It is more comfortable and easier to deploy from a slung position, transitions to handgun are easier, best option with armor or mag carriers on the chest, better to hop a fence with, and the list goes on and on.

However, I should add that some tactics come in to play in my decision making as well. I don't believe in shooting a carbine offhand with two hands. Yes, I practice it "wronghandedly", but for me, it is only in the event that my primary hand does not work. I don't believe in switching offhand to create less of a target when "cutting the pie" doing room clearing, or other examples of when switching to off-handed operation of the firearm may be taught or recommended. So, some of the perceived benefits of a single point sling for a carbine or rifle may not be something that I would consider at all, but may be a consideration for someone else.

I just politely disagree, but recognize that you may probably have much more professional and/or practical experience in this area than I do, but your experience does not mimic mine.

ETA: I understand that you see the merits of 2-point for climbing, moving, etc., my points of disagreement are purely related to the aspect of shooting.

Also ETA: I LOATHE most padded 2 point slings. I am only referring to non-padded versions. The padded versions definitely slow me down and occasionally interfere with my ability to snap the gun up into a perfect cheek weld.
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 01-26-2016 at 01:40 AM.

I run a "Way Of The Gun" Proctor QD sling (FR & R QD swivels): http://www.wayofthegun.us/black-proc...-w-qd-swivels/

Im a right handed shooter, and I have the front of the sling mounted as close to the muzzle end as possible on the left side of the handguard, and the rear of the sling is plugged into the stock on the outside of the stock (right side of stock).

This video by Mac sums up pretty much exactly how I run my sling (minus the "SlingDing") in a LE patrol rifle context:

I used to be a big proponent of single point slings, but running my 2-point this way (looped over the neck like a necklace), I see zero benefit in running a single point over a 2-point.

I also found single point slings to be a mess when it comes to placing bad guys into custody or dragging downed good guys. Even with the 1 to 2 convertible slings, I don't want to have to monkey around with converting my sling from 1 to 2 point in a bad situation.

I also haven't found any of the 1 to 2 point convertible slings that function anywhere near as well in 2-point configuration as a dedicated 2-point sling like the WOTG Proctor sling, the SOB B-Sling, or a BFG Vickers sling.
    Last edited by NickDrak; 01-26-2016 at 03:38 AM.

Over the years I have gone from a carry strap, to a single-point, to a two point close mounted (barrel nut and castle nut) to a two-piping far mounted (muzzle end of rail, outside of butt stock) to finally arrive at using a Magpul Ms3 with mounts at all four locations and a single-point adapter on the sling.

The sling is, almost always, far mounted, and on guns where I don't have the ability to mount four points I use an SOB sling far-mounted, but with most guns I see no reason not to have options.

FWIW, the two-point close-mounted pretty much turned out to be pointless to me. All of the instability of the single point with none of the benefits of the far-mounting.

But, to the OP, if this thread has taught you nothing else it should be that there is no right answer. You have to find what works for you, in your application.

I will say that shooting with Kyle Lamb, Kyle Defoor, and Pat McNamara taught me some ways to overcome the perceived negatives of the two-point and many actual benefits that led me to pretty much never need or want to put the sling into two-point mode.

Everyone has different needs/wants/skills/perceptions. When old style 3 points were all the rage, I ran an old Bonnie Packer 2 point. Even bought 100 of them for my unit at the time. When the Vickers sling came out, I switched to that, though before that, I had already been using a single point a lot. Used the VTAC for many years as well, and still do. When the modern 3 point PIG sling came out, that mostly replaced my 2 point slings, but not entirely. A buddy makes a little known 2 point sling that i like a lot on non AR's. RS-1 from Riflecraft, though all of his slings are very good.

I don't believe in switching shoulders 99.9% of the time, so that doesn't drive my single point use. I do believe in being able to instantly go from low gun to high gun, to striking with the weapon, to shooting it, to reloading it, to transition (very little use for that skill in the real world, imo, unless it is proactive, which I do alot). I see people fighting their slings all the time. For me, a single point sling is the next best thing to not having a sling on it at all - which is probably what its critics think as well:-) When I have a single point sling on, I'm wearing a plate carrier as well. Gun sits inbetween mag pouches really well for short term "drops", and only takes a few seconds to convert it and sling it behind me.

At any rate, I'm in no way trying to convert anyone to anything. People who make slings, are usually trying to sell them. Nothing wrong with that, as they usually really believe in them. I just haven't seen anything on or off the range that would make me doubt the capability and versatility of the modern single point. Can a 2 point be used very effectively? Of course. So can a single.

I very much appreciate the discussion. I don't run a carbine for anything but fun, but I showed up to a recent combo class with my circa-1997 carry strap and felt like I was missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I used to be a big proponent of single point slings, but running my 2-point this way (looped over the neck like a necklace)
    Do you ever let the gun hang by itself when in necklace mode? Or do you transition to arm through for that?

I ask because that looks like it would put a lot of strain on the neck, especially long term.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Do you ever let the gun hang by itself when in necklace mode? Or do you transition to arm through for that?

I ask because that looks like it would put a lot of strain on the neck, especially long term.
    IME...

you *can* let it hang from your neck if you need/want to very quickly, for example to transition to a handgun, but it's not ideal. If there is time then sticking the arm through is better, and it doesn't really take much time at all. You can see how quickly Mac does it in the video, and if your hand is already on the forend it's even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IME...

you *can* let it hang from your neck if you need/want to very quickly, for example to transition to a handgun, but it's not ideal. If there is time then sticking the arm through is better, and it doesn't really take much time at all. You can see how quickly Mac does it in the video, and if your hand is already on the forend it's even faster.
    This. I patrolled a lot more then I fought in Afghanistan. I used a two point because I was made to. I figured out really quick that to get full mobility while searching I would have to either take it off or necklace it. I searched probably 30-50 small dug outs where field workers lived in the poppy field by necklacing my sling and putting my stock over my shoulder... as ideal as a one point? Nope but gotta do what u gotta do. I will say I had a couple times where I had to go hands on with someone I startled and thag shit was not ideal for weapon retention or nice on my neck

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    This. I patrolled a lot more then I fought in Afghanistan. I used a two point because I was made to. I figured out really quick that to get full mobility while searching I would have to either take it off or necklace it. I searched probably 30-50 small dug outs where field workers lived in the poppy field by necklacing my sling and putting my stock over my shoulder... as ideal as a one point? Nope but gotta do what u gotta do. I will say I had a couple times where I had to go hands on with someone I startled and thag shit was not ideal for weapon retention or nice on my neck
    And this is why i really do like the single point. By having the 2 point sling only on the neck, you negate many if not all of its advantages, in order to allow the gun to move as if it was on a single point sling, while having none of the advantages of a single point sling.

Anyway, enough beating a dead horse, they all have pros and cons. I just get tired of hearing some well known personalities slam the single point all the time. No one on this forum.

User Tag List