Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sling Set-up on AR Rifle...

Site Supporter

Sling Set-up on AR Rifle...

Looking at the finer points, using an adjustable 2 point sling.

Wondering the difference between using the QD point or sling hole/opening on the buttstock or the QD point at the endplate on the lower receiver? Advantages/Disadvantages?

I see more respected trainers with the sling attached to the buttstock. I've run both in classes and haven't found a preference for myself.

Probably a lot of personal preference, pointing me to any videos/articles/etc about setting up a sling would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IME the farther the mounts are apart the more stable the rifle is when slung across your back.

No issues with QD as long as its rotation limited. I like having 1 QD mount for separating the upper and lower

A little older, but good information: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/sw...43236911630989

I'm a nobody with limited carbine experience, but as a righty, I run my on the left end of the rail near the muzzle device and on the right side of the stock. The sling is generally worn basically like a necklace, so it's easy to do manipulations, and shoulder bumping and transitions are both of relative ease. If I need to haul ass, it's easy enough to sling properly, while transitions to pistols are not quite as bad as a single-point, though not as great as a three-point or two-point worn conventionally.

Site Supporter
    I am at work checking the thread every 15 minutes, so the I appreciate the response.

End plate attachment is for single point carry, or if you get a 2to1 enabled sling. that way its not hanging down to the ground via the stock attachment. Furthest ends of the rifle are, to me, the most safe & versatile setup.
    Last edited by Sadmin; 01-25-2016 at 03:13 PM.

As a general rule, the farther apart the attachment points, the weapon will become more stable, and the range of motion more limited. A single point sling will have the maximum range of motion, but will require a hand on the weapon almost constantly to keep it from swinging around unwanted. A two point attached to the end of the stock and as far forward on the handguard as possible will have a very limited range of motion (unless the sling is very loose), but will be extremely stable and allow for hands-free carriage. As Default.mp3 mentioned, a sling set up in the latter fashion can be worn like a necklace while shooting, and you can also swim your support arm between the weapon and the sling when not shooting.

Personally, I've settled on an adjustable two point attached to the handguard as close to the receiver as possible and to a QD endplate. I have found that this is an excellent compromise between stability and mobility. I can tighten the sling enough to where it is fairly stable, yet still be able to shoulder the rifle, and maintain the ability to trap the stock in my armpit for reloads and malfunction clearance. To be able to do that with the sling attached at the rear of the stock, I would need to run it much looser, to where the rifle would hang lower than I like when not actually shooting. Obviously, one of the benefits of the two point sling is that most are rapidly adjustable, but it is nice to be able to set it and forget it and still have it work in the majority of situations I encounter.

I should mention that all of my slings are set up so they can be converted to single point. The only time I have found the single point to be beneficial is when working in "asymmetric" positions like SBU and Brokeback prone, but even then a two point can work if it's sufficiently loose. And the two point is superior for just about everything else.

Site Supporter
    I view the QD on the rear mainly as a convenience. It's easier to fit more rifles in the safe if the slings are removed, and I can use the same slings for other guns.

Overseas, I preferred having a QD socket both on the buttstock and on the receiver end. In some vehicles, switching to the receiver QD made it a lot less likely for the buttstock to hit me in the mouth or chin when bouncing over rough terrain.

I took me a while to find this, but I like the method Failure2Stop describes and shows here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post78651

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    ...And the two point is superior for just about everything else.
    I hear this from time to time, and I just don't get it. A two point is great for carrying the rifle behind you (like for climbing stuff or going hands on), and it is also good for...

A single point is better for every facet of shooting and gun handling (except slinging up, which a true 2 point won't do either), except strapping the gun tightly to you. If you are going to run a single point, I think it is mandatory to either have a convertible to 2 point sling, or to wear a weapons catch. I wore a weapons catch for many years, but when I started carrying a breaching shotgun in the catch, that didn't work anymore, and now I much prefer a convertible, so problem solved.

My main, issued weapon has a convertible sling on it, since most of the time it gets used for cqb type stuff. My personal weapons all have adjustable 2 (or 3 point slings on them so I can actually use them as shooting aids), because if'n it's personal, I'm unlikely to have gear on me, and more likely to want to do other things with the gun, like sling up for a difficult shot. In that case, I use a PIG sling, and it is attached as it has to be to work properly.

Sling Set-up on AR Rifle...

I'm a big fan of the non-padded vickers bfg sling. I do not like the padded version. I used to carry qd to the rear of the receiver, but now prefer to the buttstock.
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 01-26-2016 at 01:01 AM.

User Tag List