Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this Sabre Pepper Spray GTG?

I have a few of the Saber 0.75 oz cans and found that the pocket clip sucks. It snags and doesn't stay clipped very well. I ended up zip tying a stainless cell phone clip to the bare can, and that works much better.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Is this Sabre Pepper Spray GTG?

I was not happy with the size of my Mk6 dispenser for EDC, so today I received this smaller key chain unit, $10 on Amazon Prime:

Sabre Red Pepper Spray with Key Ring - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UVTDLG..._EtFVxbGMK8RW4

Size comparison below; bottom is my EDC Streamlight, a snap cap, up one is the keychain unit, top is the Mk6 dispenser (this is my trainer unit; the 'live' dispenser is in the truck.

I think I'll be happier carrying the smaller item for dog walking etc.

Hope this helps someone choosing a spray. It's hard to tell relative sizes from pictures.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-24-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Just jumped on this thread, and unfortunately I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I haven't had the opportunity to open the imbedded links. I picked up some pepper spray for my daughters (20 and 19, in college, and while they are very good shots with a handgun, they are too young for a CCW).

I bought some Fox Labs for each of them, as Fox seems to have almost always received rave reviews - until this thread.

Is Fox still a good choice, or should I pick up something else? I experimented with Sabre Red stream, and I thought it had a prostate problem - stream was not impressive. The Fox had longer range, but I have no idea how effective it would have been.

Site Supporter
    Any thoughts on Sabre as compared to an ASP Key Defender?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I've been looking and looking for a better EDC LTL spray than the two I've ordered so far.

The twist locks looked problematic for pocket carry (risk of ND) and the Mk 6 canister was just too big.

I saw this flip top version on Greg Ellifritz' feed as a Prine Day Deal for $7, but I missed it by a few hours. Anyway, I felt the $12 regular price was worth trying, so I ordered one:

SABRE Flip Top Red Pepper Gel with Key Case and Finger Grip, 25 Bursts and 12-Feet (4M) Range (Black)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HB0XDRE..._tlPzzbASGQMAA

I'm attracted by virtue of the flip top.

My plan is this will be something I can carry all the time in my pocket, but with less risk of it going off in my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I've been looking and looking for a better EDC LTL spray than the two I've ordered so far.

The twist locks looked problematic for pocket carry (risk of ND) and the Mk 6 canister was just too big.

I saw this flip top version on Greg Ellifritz' feed as a Prine Day Deal for $7, but I missed it by a few hours. Anyway, I felt the $12 regular price was worth trying, so I ordered one:

SABRE Flip Top Red Pepper Gel with Key Case and Finger Grip, 25 Bursts and 12-Feet (4M) Range (Black)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HB0XDRE..._tlPzzbASGQMAA

I'm attracted by virtue of the flip top.

My plan is this will be something I can carry all the time in my pocket, but with less risk of it going off in my pants.
    That was one of my wife's stocking stuffers for Christmas last year, so she's been carrying it for over 6 months with no AD's. I discharged a live one before giving it to her and was happy with the amount of product, the range and the nature of the gel before committing to it being the one she carried.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Feverishly searching for my notes from Chuck Haggard's presentation at this spring's Rangemaster Tactical Conference....

If I recall correctly, Chuck much preferred the fog over the gel or stream. One was able to lay down a minefield-like cloud between the attacker and yourself, then beat feet. The gel was the preferred choice if one was engaged in a vigorous dogpile situation.

That makes a great deal of sense to me.

I do hope I have not mangled Chuck's advice. I'll keep looking for my notes.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Feverishly searching for my notes from Chuck Haggard's presentation at this spring's Rangemaster Tactical Conference....

If I recall correctly, Chuck much preferred the fog over the gel or stream. One was able to lay down a minefield-like cloud between the attacker and yourself, then beat feet. The gel was the preferred choice if one was engaged in a vigorous dogpile situation.

That makes a great deal of sense to me.

I do hope I have not mangled Chuck's advice. I'll keep looking for my notes.
    And I think Chuck's advice is spot on and were I to carry pepper I would much prefer a fog.

My wife saw a discharge from a fog can and said "There's no way I'm carrying that around our 3 year old" so we went with the gel.

It's kind of like her 10/22 with the 30 round mags. It's not the perfect tool but it's one she's comfortable with.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    And I think Chuck's advice is spot on and were I to carry pepper I would much prefer a fog.

My wife saw a discharge from a fog can and said "There's no way I'm carrying that around our 3 year old" so we went with the gel.

It's kind of like her 10/22 with the 30 round mags. It's not the perfect tool but it's one she's comfortable with.
    Understood, I have a five-year-old granddaughter. She's not a sprinter yet, so I have stream units and practice a lot with the inert trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Understood, I have a five-year-old granddaughter. She's not a sprinter yet, so I have stream units and practice a lot with the inert trainers.
    Huh, I hadn't thought of this angle (gel vs. fog). With me, it's my wife, who is generally with me at the stop and rob, or at WalMart.

Maybe I'll carry the Mk6 canister walking the dog.

I respect the hell out of Chucks input, though.

To be honest it was more the flip top cover against NDs.

User Tag List