Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Commonly heard ideas

Personal fav, "I'm buying a skeletonized XYZ because it gives you 0.002 seconds better lock up time" when their mouth is the only thing capable of running that fast. Buying stuff that their skill could never utilize because they're more interested in stats than shooting.
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 01-26-2016 at 11:04 PM.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

"My uncle was special forces, and he says..."
    "I have a cop friend, and he says..."

I know a guy who "carries" an XD(M) because his SPECIAL forces Uncle does. And a pretty good friend came to me looking for a recommendation on a 1911 purchase with $1100 budget. I gave him a good down and dirty education, a laundry list of reasons why a CRG or Springfield Operator would be my choice, and copious amounts of information resources to read for himself. A week later I get a picture via text of his new Sig Sauer 1911 Tacops. Why? Because that's what his cop buddy has.

Carrying a gun in the course of ones job does not automatically make them an expert on all things related to firearms. Applicable to both hardware and software.

When somebody says the words "Energy Dump," I exit the conversation. It comes up a bunch during conversations about 10mm loads that are driving projectiles designed for the .40 S&W at such high velocity they penetrate very shallowly, and come apart.

I am pleased that we have intelligent discussions about guns and bears on this forum. The only other place that that can happen on The Entire Internet is the Hill People Gear Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I saw variations of this comment when I started shooting in 2013, typically in discussions involving the S&W M&P Full Size 9mm and Apex parts:

"My M&P shoots fine; for a service pistol, I don't need to do better than 12" groups at 25 yards."

I thought this was all fine and dandy until I arrived at pistol-forum.
    Personally, I expect better performance out of my Remington 870 shotgun at that range! And with the new Federal fight controlled wads, I usually get it...

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But now I know a shooter who can run at insane speed and precision with a .40 Glock; equal to his G17 level.
    Possibly the best pure shooter (and pretty darned savvy investigator all around) runs his issued Sig P229R DAK in .40 S&W shooting our VERY stout 155gr JHP duty ammo faster and more accurately that I've shot anything except a 1911 or P7M8. Dude is just a monster - makes my 6'1", 235#s look short and svelte. But, boy, can he shoot...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    How about "Child accidentally kills another child with gun." Nothing accidental about it. An adult was very negligent.
    Accidentally does not preclude negligently. It can be both...and usually is.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the dreaded "I'm an NRA certified instructor," yet.

Another personal favorite, when people think uttering the phrase "I felt threatened" is going to save their ass after a bad or highly questionable shoot. This usually rears its ugly head when people start talking of shooting criminals for things like simple auto burglary, which on its own, is not a defensible use of deadly force here in Georgia.

And then the ever-classic belief that a basic pistol or basic CCW class is enough preparation for just about anything.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Another personal favorite, when people think uttering the phrase "I felt threatened" is going to save their ass after a bad or highly questionable shoot. This usually rears its ugly head when people start talking of shooting criminals for things like simple auto burglary, which on its own, is not a defensible use of deadly force here in Georgia.
    Very true. I had a guy last year who stabbed someone because he "felt threatened" and missed the second prong that the fear must be a reasonable fear. He believed it so hard he went against his attorney's advise and went to trial. He believed it so hard he took the stand and testified himself. He may still believe it, but he's believing it from a prison cell.

User Tag List