Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Commonly heard ideas

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    With the understanding I know jack-diddly-shit about precision rifle shooting, is barrel break in something that used to be required and no longer is, never was, or what?
    There are varying opinions on on the validity of barrel break in for precision rifles. For anything else it's kabuki theater.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I think that some people derive perverse pleasure in watching a novice shooter fire a .500 S&W (or other absurd choice) and be frightened or intimidated by the experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's all fun and games until a "revolver double" occurs and their girlfriend accidentally shoots herself in the head.

Those videos give me twitches...
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 01-25-2016 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is a good indication that this discussion is gonna turn into a goat rodeo.
    I've seen several variations on this throughout this thread. I guess I just don't know what I don't know.

Is the beef with the phrase or the concept? Based on my 1st hand experience both as a student and instructor there is no doubt in my mind that slowing down a movement and executing excellent mechanics will get you towards executing those excellent mechanics at speed. Does this mean you always practice slow in the hopes you'll perform at speed? Absolutely not. I don think that's the intent of that phrase, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I've seen several variations on this throughout this thread. I guess I just don't know what I don't know.

Is the beef with the phrase or the concept? Based on my 1st hand experience both as a student and instructor there is no doubt in my mind that slowing down a movement and executing excellent mechanics will get you towards executing those excellent mechanics at speed. Does this mean you always practice slow in the hopes you'll perform at speed? Absolutely not. I don think that's the intent of that phrase, either.
    We'll a lot of times its used as an excuse for being slow.

I've made a Venn diagram before. Slow can be smooth, fast can be smooth. Smooth can be both smooth or fast. Slow cannot be fast.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I've made a Venn diagram before. Slow can be smooth, fast can be smooth. Smooth can be both smooth or fast. Slow cannot be fast.

Ooooh, saving for future sig line somewhere: "Slow can be smooth, fast can be smooth. Smooth can be both smooth or fast. Slow cannot be fast."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'll find the diagram for ya.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

Obviously there are exceptions, but I generally move away when I hear someone I don't know use the term "head shot", or if they start talking about getting hits past about 300 yards with a rifle, ESPECIALLY if they quote bullet drop figures. These folks usually memorize the drop charts that ammo makers put online but have never chronographed those loads in their own rifles IF they even own a rifle chambered for the cartridge in question. And you generally get a blank stare if you ask them anything that has to do with wind.

Okie John

Site Supporter

Mostly it's because people parrot the phrase and misunderstand it simultaneously. Slow isn't fast. Smooth isn't fast unless it is "smooth and also fast"

You can be slow and still have crappy mechanics. Slowness is no guarantee of proper form.

Oddly, it was speeding up with the use of a shot timer helped me speed up my draw...not quarter speed draws and reloads....guess sometimes the best way to get fast is to go faster. Sshamelessly stole that from Todd

Central axis relock is the answer.

User Tag List