Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commonly heard ideas

Commonly heard ideas

So I wanted to start a thread to address questions/statements I hear regularly when talking about pistol craft/shooting.

So I'll start with this question. How much of a role does bore axis really have? I have heard some people even say that their biggest issue moving to "xyz brand" is the bore axis is so high..

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I usually use the words "bore axis" as my cue to bow out of a discussion.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Some people are heavily invested in this idea.. I have a friend I shoot with that I shoot with that said "the biggest issue I would have with the hk is the bore axis" I think that is complete shit because I doubt its the bore axis that is keeping me from a perfect bill drill..

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Right there with you, Tam. The only thing that will run me up the street more quickly is the nimrod extolling the virtues of his Serbo-Croat Special and Uncle Mike's sausage sack…

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Some people are heavily invested in this idea.

They don't know what they don't know.

Site Supporter
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is a good indication that this discussion is gonna turn into a goat rodeo.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

"Traditional double action pistols are old technology and uncompetitive". Makes my eye twitch every time.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 01-23-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: grammar

Commonly heard ideas

Can we talk about people teaching "fighting with a gun" while never having actually been in a fight? In my opinion, this is the biggest goat rodeo in the entire training industry... Especially when it comes to self defense with a handgun.

The above isn't to suggest that normal people who haven't so much as spat an angry word cannot be excellent shooters/teachers or are without value. There are many gun school teachers who are less hard than me teaching fantastic shooting and gun handling skills. These are very valuable people doing awesome things.

However, comma, if someone is going to teach me how to fight with a gun, I want that person to have been in many (and won at least some) fights.

If you're teaching me to deal with getting my skull caved in with a socket wrench while never having experienced/investigated/witnessed multiple times/committed the act you're probably in a little bit over your head.

Experience is paramount, in my opinion.
    Last edited by JDM; 01-23-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Too many spaces
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Regarding "bore axis", there is no question that HKs/SIGs have more muzzle flip than Glocks/M&Ps. Even good technique cannot mitigate it, though pure strength and/or copious body mass can ameliorate it considerably.

"Fighting with a gun" usually refers to an open enrollment class that omits marksmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post

"Fighting with a gun" usually refers to an open enrollment class that omits marksmanship.
    This is horrific and all too true.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

User Tag List