Thread: New 6-shot J-frame

New 6-shot J-frame

Yeah, right. Another SHOT show, another underwhelming S&W experience. Why no alloy 6-shot J-frame in .327? I still see a place for a small revolver, and a 20% increase in capacity is appealing, assuming the cartridge actually performs. Against my better judgement, I'm seriously thinking about trying the LCR, but it seems kind of bulky (for the pocket) and I'm a little leery of that weird, double click reset issue. Anyway, to the point: Are there any recent, credible reports on the terminal ballistics of the .327, especially the Gold Dot? On paper, it would seem to be OK, but what about penetration?

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

The reason is the poor, poor sales of the S&W 431 and 432 models introduced in 2005. There are not a lot of people willing to spend money on a .32 J-frame in any configuration. Heck, I bought an old pre-war S&W .32 Regulation Police for less than one-third of MSRP of an AirLite.
    Last edited by farscott; 01-23-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The reason is the poor, poor sales of the S&W 431 and 432 models introduced in 2005. There are not a lot of people willing to spend money on a .32 J-frame in any configuration. Heck, I bought an old pre-war S&W .32 Regulation Police for less than one-third of MSRP of an AirLite.
    Where do people find these deals? I love the 32SWL for "fun" shooting. Around here, no S&W revolver goes for less than $300 anymore, and those are clapped out M10s or rattletrap 32 I-frames from the not-quite-blackpowder-era.

Chris

Take a look at the energy in the .327 cartridge. I've shot my friend's SP101 all steel 3ish inch gun, and it was miserable. I don't think these would sell well at all. Sadly, the .32 H&R mag won't expand(at least from a J frame), so your best bet is an older 431/432 with the 100r full wadcutter .32 S&W long load.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Where do people find these deals? I love the 32SWL for "fun" shooting. Around here, no S&W revolver goes for less than $300 anymore, and those are clapped out M10s or rattletrap 32 I-frames from the not-quite-blackpowder-era.

Chris
    Found mine at a local pawn shop. It looked so sad and neglected that I had to ask how much was required to provide it a new home. After a bit of haggling, I paid the freight and took it home.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Yeah, right. Another SHOT show, another underwhelming S&W experience. Why no alloy 6-shot J-frame in .327? I still see a place for a small revolver, and a 20% increase in capacity is appealing, assuming the cartridge actually performs. Against my better judgement, I'm seriously thinking about trying the LCR, but it seems kind of bulky (for the pocket) and I'm a little leery of that weird, double click reset issue. Anyway, to the point: Are there any recent, credible reports on the terminal ballistics of the .327, especially the Gold Dot? On paper, it would seem to be OK, but what about penetration?

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

The LCR cylinder is actually slightly smaller than the typical J frame cylinder, at least in the .38 Special configuration. As far as reset goes, flip and press is by far the best way to address that particular issue.

I'm on the hunt for a .327 but have decided that I want something with six shots and a 3" barrel at a minimum. I'm also not interested in the weight of a SP-101. I've almost convinced myself a couple of times to have a cylinder made for my S&W 16-4 and just can't quite bring myself to modify it. That's fodder for another thread though.

Magnum cartridges of any caliber don't fare well out of short barrels. Then there's the negatives of flash, noise and over pressure.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List