Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inertia Driven How does it work?

As an engineer, I liked the use of the spring with a smaller "K" to demonstrate the way the inertia of the bolt compress the spring as the lighter components move faster. The need for the bolt to remain still for the gun to run explains why a good mount of the Benelli is so important. If the whole gun moves, the bolt mass compresses the spring much less.

As far as additional topics, it would be cool to cover the Browning 'long recoil" from the Browning Auto-5 and Remington Model 11, especially the usage of the friction pieces, as well as the gas operation of the Remington 1100. The 1100 operation would be a good place to transition to the AR-15 direct impingement gas operation.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Cool video. If you could somehow get some slo-mo of the system in action, that would help a lot in understanding. Otherwise, very clear explanation and I learned several things.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The need for the bolt to remain still for the gun to run explains why a good mount of the Benelli is so important. If the whole gun moves, the bolt mass compresses the spring much less.
    By "good mount" do you mean more relaxed than you would normally mount a shotgun? I can make my M3000 choke with loads it will otherwise run if I hold it too tight to my shoulder while heavily leaning into the gun. Inertia guns need to move rearward in order to operate.

I wish I could. The 240 fps frame rate of camera's within the budget of a working man (me) will not come close to capturing this event.

Great explanation, thank you. That definitely helps make sense of various things I've heard in the past regarding inertia systems.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

One thing I can tell you about it, shooting slugs from a bench to check POA/POI gives quite a cheek bump.

Good explanation PE.

This video is from Benelli and it shows the systems function well. I used to use an older version from Benelli but I now use this more modern computer rendering. Mine is just the computer rendering of the weapon, but I was able to find a similar version (same computer rendering) online from Benelli. We still run some M1 Super 90's so I use this to show our guys exactly what is happening. The visual is easier to grasp. It also helps to show why the link needs to "drop" correctly into the stocks recoil spring and why it is easy to get this part wrong.

Last edited by Surf; 01-30-2016 at 01:04 PM.

That video was the reason I create mine. I did not feel it focuses enough on the Inertia Spring storing energy and how it does it.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    By "good mount" do you mean more relaxed than you would normally mount a shotgun? I can make my M3000 choke with loads it will otherwise run if I hold it too tight to my shoulder while heavily leaning into the gun. Inertia guns need to move rearward in order to operate.
    My last post is really not well written.

Too tight or too relaxed can theoretically cause the Benelli inertia system to fail, but too tight is a big problem with the inertia design. Both lead to compression of the bolt spring outside of the design tolerances for cycling. If one holds too tight, the gun does not move enough so the inertia of the bolt does not compress the spring as there is not enough gun travel. If one holds too loose, the whole gun, including the heavy bolt, move too much, so the spring does not get compressed. One has to really work though to hold the Benelli too loose as the gun cycles so quickly.
    Last edited by farscott; 01-31-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    As an engineer, I liked the use of the spring with a smaller "K" to demonstrate the way the inertia of the bolt compress the spring as the lighter components move faster. The need for the bolt to remain still for the gun to run explains why a good mount of the Benelli is so important. If the whole gun moves, the bolt mass compresses the spring much less.

As far as additional topics, it would be cool to cover the Browning 'long recoil" from the Browning Auto-5 and Remington Model 11, especially the usage of the friction pieces, as well as the gas operation of the Remington 1100. The 1100 operation would be a good place to transition to the AR-15 direct impingement gas operation.
    The Auto 5 is on the list! Love that gun.

User Tag List