Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 357 carry revolver

Thanks all of you guys for the input.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Not much to add that others have not, except that handling each before you buy is important. Of the revolvers being discussed here, I've owned both production and custom versions of everything but the Kimber (natch), and I like them all, but I've decided that the stock SP101 trigger reach just doesn't work for me (and aftermarket grips just bung up speed loading and move the SP into 3" S&W model 64 or 2" model 12 territory anyways).

My favorite guns are the K frames in 3" and 4" versions in that order, eg. my 3" RB model 65 .357. The compact gripped 3" GP100s can be amazing shooters, and rival the K frame for sending bullets out of. But they're sort of boat anchors to carry, IMNSHO.

Funny, when I was, say, 21 I didn't think anything of sticking a partial-shroud 3" GP in my pants AIWB Mexican, but we didn't have the same options when I was 21 either. In an age of G26 and even G43 (to say nothing of my age now), it's harder to get behind the idea of a Clapp GP EDC. OMMV.

But, yeah, buy once cry once. Find a minty 13/65 or just try the Clapp GP. You'll find a place for it, even if it's not your daily pocket dump.
    JMO
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 01-21-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Another preferential recommendation for Rugers-particularly their GP100 models. I think that for carry in particular there's a lot to be said for the GP100 Match Champions, with either the Novak Lo-Mount fixed rear sight or the Ruger adjustable rear sight. While their 3" GP variants are very nice (both in the standard stainless offering and the Wiley Clapp versions), having previously concurrently owned both a 3" and a 4" GP, I found that the additional barrel length of the 4" (I guess now 4.2") gives more velocity and sight plane, without sacrificing much at all in drawability and carry comfort; I think the longer tube gives greater flexibility (but the 3" is still an excellent gun, that gainsaid).

I would also consider replacing the full-size grips currently OEM with all GP100s with the recently re-available compact grip from shopruger.com; it was originally the OEM grip for the fixed-sight GP100s, and is much more convenient to carry (especially if carrying concealed), and there's sufficient length and surface grip area to provide for a very secure grip. See: http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-wi...uctinfo/70084/

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Buds this Saturday for sure...unless I am snowed in. So what is the deal with older Smiths and no parts availability no warranty and will they even work on them?
    Brownells has quality aftermarket hands and cylinder locking bolts, the main wear items. Other parts, if they aren't available from Smith, can be found on the net. The Smith-Wesson forum is a good place to look. I cant recall needing much for my Smiths other than a several oversize hands for different guns, and I had a slightly bent extractor rod once. I think they are still available.

As to the guns, the 3" fixed sight K frame guns are a good all around size. I'm rather fond of the 2 1/2" model 19. The one I had was scary accurate, if a bit loud in the muzzle blast department. All 357 are a bit loud in the muzzle blast department to me though. I wouldn't be opposed to a 4" model 19 if I could get a summer special holster for it. I'm sure theres other good holster options also.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-21-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I really dig my Wiley Clapp GP100. That said, I don't find it any more trouble to carry a 4" than I do to carry a 3". When I do carry a revolver I tend to carry the Match Champion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Brownells has quality aftermarket hands and cylinder locking bolts, the main wear items. Other parts, if they aren't available from Smith, can be found on the net. The Smith-Wesson forum is a good place to look. I cant recall needing much for my Smiths other than a several oversize hands for different guns, and I had a slightly bent extractor rod once. I think they are still available.

As to the guns, the 3" fixed sight K frame guns are a good all around size. I'm rather fond of the 2 1/2" model 19. The one I had was scary accurate, if a bit loud in the muzzle blast department. All 357 are a bit loud in the muzzle blast department to me though. I wouldn't be opposed to a 4" model 19 if I could get a summer special holster for it. I'm sure theres other good holster options also.
    Smith still has parts for older guns and they will work on them though they are not covered by the lifetime warranty.

Ruger no longer supports the Six Series (Security six etc).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Smith still has parts for older guns and they will work on them though they are not covered by the lifetime warranty.

Ruger no longer supports the Six Series (Security six etc).
    My understanding is that Ruger might or might not support -Six series revolvers, depending upon the parts/work needed...

I have a 1978-vintage Security Six; it's been an excellent revolver, and is used to this day for carry, nightstand duty and IDPA.

Realistically, given at least the potential of limited factory support, their modern equivalent is probably the short-shrouded Match Champion-the Novak-sighted version would be the equivalent of a Service Six, the adjustable sight version akin to the Security Six. While they're probably still a tad heavier, their slab-sided short-shrouded barrels should provide some excellent dynamic handling characteristics, much like the -Six revolvers-in a modernized (and fully factory-supported) format.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100M...on/models.html

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-21-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    OP, I know you said .357 for occasional use, but consider a .38 special only GP-100.
    I found a 4" blued half-lug security trade in gun in early 2014 in a LGS for $275.
    Heavy .38 special factory loads are available from Buffalo Bore and Cor-Bon. My recollection is that current .357 factory ammo is not what it used to be, power wise.
    The GP-100 .38 guns can digest 38-44 equivalent loads with no issue and are probably comparable to the lower power .357 loads sold today.
    I have some 125 grain JHP bullets that will be used to develop a "+P+" load for this revolver.

Again Thanks to all. I couldn't stand it anymore and took a half day off :-) Saw some gorgeous older SW 41 44 and 357 magnums. This is from the era when they came in a wood box and a blue velvet lining.
    Also got to handle some K frame 4". I have to be honest the K frames are just too big. However I did get to shoot some 357 124 or 125gn through a 60 series Pro shop model.
    Boys with a deeper (More meat past the backstrap) set of grips that j frame is going to be hard to beat. The recoil was not bad at all. The checkering did a great job. Double action was buttery smooth and light, single action was very light. very very light. DA only on a pro shop model wouldn't make me hesitate one second.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Newer S&Ws have the keyed lock if that is a concern.

The 3" GP100 (mine is the Wiley Clapp version) with aftermarket Ruger compact grips makes a nice carry gun on the belt.

For pocket carry, the Ruger LCR is outstanding! That little gun has the best DA trigger pull of any wheelgun I have. Rides in the front jeans pocket without even noticing it is there.

User Tag List