Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 357 carry revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman House DDS View Post
    I have the standard, stainless 3" GP 100 AND the Wiley Clapp GP 100. If I had a good kydex AIWB rig for them, I'd use them. Also, if I was still forced to carry a revolver in a guard/uniform capacity, I'd use either of them, gratefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fear not lad! JM Custom Kydex can rescue you from the perils of bottom feeders.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=13161

Last edited by Hizzie; 02-01-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman House DDS View Post
    I have the standard, stainless 3" GP 100 AND the Wiley Clapp GP 100. If I had a good kydex AIWB rig for them, I'd use them. Also, if I was still forced to carry a revolver in a guard/uniform capacity, I'd use either of them, gratefully.

I carried my 686 SSR at one security posting for a long time and was more than happy to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a JMCK AIWB rig for my GP100 WC. It's the usual awesomeness that is their product line, very highly recommended with impeccable customer service.

If you're like me and have the beginnings of a spare tire (5'10" and ~190 lbs) and you plan on AIWB while sitting, consider either a bobbed hammer or seeing if your holster can be ordered with enough of a sweat guard to protect your gut from the sharp edges of the hammer.

Come to think about it, does anyone have a pic of a high sweat shield JMCK AIWB for a revolver? I just searched but couldn't find an example.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I have a JMCK AIWB rig for my GP100 WC. It's the usual awesomeness that is their product line, very highly recommended with impeccable customer service.

If you're like me and have the beginnings of a spare tire (5'10" and ~190 lbs) and you plan on AIWB while sitting, consider either a bobbed hammer or seeing if your holster can be ordered with enough of a sweat guard to protect your gut from the sharp edges of the hammer.

Come to think about it, does anyone have a pic of a high sweat shield JMCK AIWB for a revolver? I just searched but couldn't find an example.
    Tony is my main holster guy now! He is currently whipping up an AIWB rig for my 2" Model 12. I have several of his auto rigs, but this is the first revo holster. Once I see how I can run the 2", I'll get some for me GP's too.

If you're going to carry a wheelgun, carry at least two. In the middle of a fight, when the weapon clicks empty drop it and perform a new york reload.
    Woof, Woof Dirtbag!!!

A 3" ruger sp101 would serve you well. Check out buffalo bores website and you'll see some impressive numbers. IIRC, a 158 gr slug was traveling 1400 fps out of a 3' sp101.

I have both the sp101in .357 (2" bbl) and a .38 lcr.

I'm selling the sp101.

I've got stock grips on the sp101 and boot grips for the lcr. Shooting .38 in the ruger stings a bit, but it isn't too far from the sp101 with .38s.

Only shot 5 rounds of full power .357 through the sp101. It was painful and I probably wouldn't do it regularly. I managed a decent group but again, not fun. The larger hogue grips certainly helped but they didn't exactly fit my hand.

The main reason I'm selling the sp is because my long fingers have a difficult time with the long trigger. Not a big deal until I practiced drawing and rapid fire. I did much better with thw lcr.

Someday Ill get the 3" lcr when they chamber it for .357. I might also get a 2" in .357 to reduce the recoil with .38s.

With some big grips, I don't think the .357 lcr would have much more felt recoil than the sp101, despite its weight. Heck, I've even heard people say the plastic lcr soaks up the recoil better.

Two words that will make you want the sp101...

Gemini Customs.

My Brace of J frame Smiths

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
    If you're going to carry a wheelgun, carry at least two. In the middle of a fight, when the weapon clicks empty drop it and perform a new york reload.
    Name:  S&W snubbys.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  63.8 KB

The Scandium / Titanium Airlite proved so vicious in recoil with either +P .38's or the .357's it's chambered for that I bought the 640 Pro to have a gun I can train with and enjoy shooting.

I had thought I'd shoot .38s and carry .357's in the Airlite but now I'm thinking the even for carry I'll use +P .38's in it and just work on accurate shot placement and follow up shots with it.

I'll still do most of my shooting with the 640 Pro and most of my carry with the Airlite. It is a dream to carry, so light and small. The bobbed hammer and shorter barrel is more comfortable for AIWB and now, since I bobbed the hammer, it can fit in my ankle holster's retention strap. I can even carry the Airlite in the elastic of sweatpants or running shorts without sagging. I don't even notice it's there once my body heat warms it up.

The 340 pro's recoil seems reasonable even with .357's because compared to the Airlite it's a pussycat. Of course it also feels like an anchor in comparison.

I bought my Kimber Ultra CDP II to have a .45 carry gun that is small and light, it's even lighter than the 640 Pro. It took a couple of hundred rounds to "break-in" and since that, and going to S&W magazines, I have not had any failures with it in 300~400 subsequent firings.

Digiroc
    Last edited by Digiroc; 04-17-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    ... No J frame will comfortably handle magnums...
    Taken out of context SLG, but could you elaborate on that point? I think shooting magnum handguns "comfortably" is plinking with .22 Mag's. although my High Standard .22 Mag derringer might be the exception to that rule. In my opinion, any adequate defensive weapon will produce some discomfort when firing from the hands.

It's your ability to manage recoil that contributes a great deal to the relative comfort, as well as the accuracy achieved, especially with follow up shots. My own method is to get ahold of it with both hands in a very firm grip lay my left (weak) hand's index finger in a squeeze on the front of the trigger guard, which in the case of the AirLite as well as the Kimber are given grip with some skateboard tape stuck on the leading edge.

With my all steel J framed 640, it's weight makes it "comfortable" to shoot in a relative sense, at least when my two handed "death grip" is applied. Offhand, not so much. To me, if I can accurately control a magnum handgun that's comfort to me.

Digiroc
    Last edited by Digiroc; 04-17-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: comma splices

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    Taken out of context SLG, but could you elaborate on that point? I think shooting magnum handguns "comfortably" is plinking with .22 Mag's. although my High Standard .22 Mag derringer might be the exception to that rule. In my opinion, any adequate defensive weapon will produce some discomfort when firing from the hands.

It's your ability to manage recoil that contributes a great deal to the relative comfort, as well as the accuracy achieved, especially with follow up shots. My own method is to get ahold of it with both hands in a very firm grip lay my left (weak) hand's index finger in a squeeze on the front of the trigger guard, which in the case of the AirLite as well as the Kimber are given grip with some skateboard tape stuck on the leading edge.

With my all steel J framed 640, it's weight makes it "comfortable" to shoot in a relative sense, at least when my two handed "death grip" is applied. Offhand, not so much. To me, if I can accurately control a magnum handgun that's comfort to me.

Digiroc
    I would rather fire 500 158 gr full house .357s from my GP100 Match champion than 10 from my LCR. Make of it what you will, but as the round count goes up, "comfortably" begins to matter a lot more. Especially when you start taping blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ... as the round count goes up, "comfortably" begins to matter a lot more...
    The Ruger Match Champion is a beautiful weapon. I'd say the weight and full size grip go a long way to making it a joy to shoot hot .357's all day long. A carry gun if in open carry, but kinda hard to hide on my small frame if concealment is a priority.

Five rounds of .357's through my AirLite left my wrist sore for three days, yet I shot a couple of boxes of the same ammo with the 340 without much discomfort. What a difference a kilo makes when it comes to handguns!

Digiroc
    Last edited by Digiroc; 04-17-2016 at 09:24 PM.

User Tag List