Thread: "The Law of Self Defense" by Andrew F. Branca

"The Law of Self Defense" by Andrew F. Branca

Mods - Please feel free to move this thread if it is in the wrong section.

Book Review: "The Law of Self Defense: The Indispensable Guide to the Armed Citizen", 2nd Edition, by Andrew F. Branca

I heard about this book from Greg Ellifritz, a trainer I follow on Social Media.

As a non-LEO Civilian, my exposure to the criminal justice system and the legal issues that arise after a shooting, was limited to 30 minutes discussion in my 4 hour Florida CCW class. I remember the phrase "every bullet is attached to a lawyer", but that's about it.

In this 298 page book, Mr. Branca provides an easy to follow overview of the laws surrounding self-defense, in language that any ordinary person can understand.

After providing an overview of criminal law, he then devotes five chapters outlining the five Principles of Self Defense. Each Chapter includes comprehensive explanations of the legal nuances that arise in each of the 50 states. Terms are defined, and specific case law is cited, to back up the legal concepts.

After that, come chapters summarizing defense of others and property, concluding with legal issues after the event, as well as how best to strategize on an effective defense.

What I like about this book is that it combines a comprehensive summary of the issues surrounding a deadly encounter, with useful advice that you can implement right away. Although accurately defined, the legalese is never over your head, and he proceeds at a pace that is easy to follow without bogging down.

This is a great book, especially for those of us who need a broader exposure to the legal mindset of a self-defense scenario.

Kindle Edition, $9.99, Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Agreed.

Mr Branca also ran a podcast for a couple years and then just stopped. The episodes are worth listening too if you're that kind of learner. He also runs on-site seminars around the country.

He also has state specific online classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by LawOfSelfDefense.com website
    We currently have online training available immediately for COLORADO, FLORIDA, NORTH CAROLINA, OHIO, OKLAHOMA, OREGON, TENNESSEE, TEXAS , VIRGINIA and WASHINGTON.
    I haven't participated in any of it. I have the book and still need to read it.
    Last edited by David S.; 01-18-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Second the review. Excellent book.

Just told the wife we're going to a very romantic Valentines Day seminar on the law of self-defense in WA and OR...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I haven't read it, but a guy in my area is hosting a seminar with Branca: http://www.justifiableforcetraining.com/events/

Was it posted already??
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I haven't read it, but a guy in my area is hosting a seminar with Branca: http://www.justifiableforcetraining.com/events/

Was it posted already??
    I don't think so, but I was just thinking that when I posted this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Just told the wife we're going to a very romantic Valentines Day seminar on the law of self-defense in WA and OR...
    I should have included this link:

seminars – Law of Self Defense
    Scroll down and click on your state.
    Last edited by Drang; 01-22-2016 at 04:37 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'll say that even if you've read the book...and you should...the seminars are extremely worthwhile endeavors.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List