Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1k lumen rechargeable flashlight on Amazon for $4.80

Site Supporter
    I would use extreme caution when using inexpensive rechargeable LiCoO2 batteries and chargers with unknown or questionable charging current.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I would use extreme caution when using inexpensive rechargeable LiCoO2 batteries and chargers with unknown or questionable charging current.
    Was wondering about that, considering that not too long ago there was much hand ado about generic CR123s turning flashlights into unintended IEDs.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Was wondering about that, considering that not too long ago there was much hand ado about generic CR123s turning flashlights into unintended IEDs.
    The concerns are similar with primaries, especially when it comes to the functioning of protection circuits in LiCoO2 chemistry batteries. IMR chemistry batteries are generally safer and do not have protection circuits. You should also be careful not to over discharge or overcharge. I haven't used a lot of different 18650s, but I've had very good luck with batteries from KeepPower and AW.

Any concerns or recs on cr123 battery brands?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Any concerns or recs on cr123 battery brands?
    I haven't heard of any issues with USA made batteries. I've heard that the cells for all of the US made 123a batteries come from the same Panasonic factory.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I had a cheap Chinese charger for 2x 18650's. I made the mistake of putting the batteries in to charge without looking at the orientation molded onto the plastic case. The charger was adjustable to fit smaller batteries, not fixed size with an obvious "negative goes here" spring at one end.... Turns out that the batteries had to be installed in opposite positions, Pos on top in one slot, neg on top in the other.... I installed positive up in both slots.

The thing caught fire still in my hands, about 3 seconds after in put the second battery in it.

Thankfully...
    1. It wasn't plugged in and
    2. I was in the kitchen, close enough to toss the Burning, melting mess into the sink before it caught something important (like my flesh) on fire.

Caveat Emptor!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Has anyone received their light?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Nope, I ordered three, and never got them. They were supposed to arrive March 1.

I ordered them through Amazon, and just filed a claim. I'll let you know when I get my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Has anyone received their light?
    Not me either, sorry for the bad recommendation, gents
    #RESIST

I've got one of these brand new:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/led-f1r-...4eYaAvyy8P8HAQ

Insanely bright.

If someone is sad there 1,000 lumen light didn't come in I might could part with this one for a small price.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List