Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

I don't wear cargo pants. But I rock Mountain Khaki Camber 107 pants almost all the time outside of the office. They're comfortable, sharp-looking, and are 87% cotton canvas with 3% spandex for a bit of stretch. And they cost under $75 per pair.

I don't get excited about pants....until I got into these.

http://www.mountainkhakis.com/produc...l-107-pant.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I don't wear cargo pants. But I rock Mountain Khaki Camber 107 pants almost all the time outside of the office. They're comfortable, sharp-looking, and are 87% cotton canvas with 3% spandex for a bit of stretch. And they cost under $75 per pair.

I don't get excited about pants....until I got into these.

http://www.mountainkhakis.com/produc...l-107-pant.cfm
    I haven't used the pants you linked to, and they look nice. I used to have a professional agreement with MK, but I've stopped using them because they all shrank really badly, and the "triple stitched" hems wore out very quickly. Same with some expensive tops I had from them. They pilled fast, and got holes pretty easily. I know others love their stuff, so it is what it is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I think I have a pair, but I'll have to check. If so, they may be the one Carhartt pant I like.

When I said cheap before, I meant cheaply made, not price. I "like" all of the carhartts, but after some washing's they appear cheaply made and look cheap to me. Possibly not the ones linked above.
    I left Carhartts behind about 6 years ago, I was doing a lot of physical labor and crotch on like 4 relative new pants blew out. I have been very happy with Arborwear Tree Climber pants ever since. The lightweights are pretty good for summer, they recently upgraded to heavy pocket material which helps keeps all my stuff from wearing holes in the pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I was wearing 5.11 pants before they were ever associated with Tactical. Back in the day they were climbing pants designed and made by Royal Robbins.
    Yup, me too. I "discovered" them when I spent some time at the FBI Academy in the early 90s; definitely still Royal Robbins then. I bought a couple of pair and started wearing them when I got back… and was hooked. We were wearing dyed-gray BDU pants and embroidered polo shirts; the RR pants had low-profile cargo pockets and looked very nice with the polo shirts and un-bloused foot gear. I actually was able to retire my Corcorans for some ankle-height hiking boots.

Been wearing both ever since, except when court/interviews/warrant service dictated more "official" clothing. Of course, now that uniform (the old Royal Robbins/now 5.11 basic trouser, and a polo shirt with badge/logo) has become almost universal as the "5.11 Tuxedo". I skip the polo shirt… untucked Hawaiian shirts are where its at for we FROGs.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I gave up on high-end cargo pants because they just get wrecked and then I'm mad.
    Aren't you the guy who said we should buy better clothes? I definitely don't buy high end cargo pants for the same reason.

Duluth Firehose are tough, but are really only appropriate about three days of the year in this climate.

5.11 made some lightweight ripstop cargo pants that dried quick, which is necessary about 362 days per year in this climate. But the fit was a little funky and they cost too much for what they were.

Wrangler makes a lightweight ripstop cargo that runs <$30, dries quickly, and doesn't make me whine when I trash a pair. Their down side is that they only have velcro on the cargo pockets.
    Last edited by Hambo; 01-17-2016 at 06:55 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    5.11 made some lightweight ripstop cargo pants that dried quick, which is necessary about 362 days per year in this climate. But the fit was a little funky and they cost too much for what they were.
    I've experienced the same "Funky Fit" issues with 5.11 the past few years.

I;ve really been liking the Propper lightweight / Ripstop pants the past year or so. I'll be picking up a few more this year.

http://www.galls.com/propper-lightwe...tical-trousers

Our climate is similar to yours, though a bit drier. Carhart and Duluth firehouse type pants are OK maybe 2 month a year,

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I haven't used the pants you linked to, and they look nice. I used to have a professional agreement with MK, but I've stopped using them because they all shrank really badly, and the "triple stitched" hems wore out very quickly. Same with some expensive tops I had from them. They pilled fast, and got holes pretty easily. I know others love their stuff, so it is what it is.
    I've not yet noticed these deficiencies with my couple pairs of MK pants, but I do appreciate the heads-up and will be interested to see how mine fair over a longer period of time (beyond the roughly six months that I've been wearing them).

The TAD pants have been great, as have Kuhl's and both have varying weights. Kuhl's held up well in a few classes with ground work.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The TAD pants have been great, as have Kuhl's and both have varying weights. Kuhl's held up well in a few classes with ground work.
    I am also very happy with Kuhl. Very durable and light in my experience.
    Last edited by El Cid; 01-17-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yup, me too. I "discovered" them when I spent some time at the FBI Academy in the early 90s; definitely still Royal Robbins then. I bought a couple of pair and started wearing them when I got back… and was hooked. We were wearing dyed-gray BDU pants and embroidered polo shirts; the RR pants had low-profile cargo pockets and looked very nice with the polo shirts and un-bloused foot gear. I actually was able to retire my Corcorans for some ankle-height hiking boots.

Been wearing both ever since, except when court/interviews/warrant service dictated more "official" clothing. Of course, now that uniform (the old Royal Robbins/now 5.11 basic trouser, and a polo shirt with badge/logo) has become almost universal as the "5.11 Tuxedo". I skip the polo shirt… untucked Hawaiian shirts are where its at for we FROGs.

I hate to tell you this, but they were "tactical" before the FBI found them, so...

I had some original RR branded pants and shirts, but even then, they were already too cool.

User Tag List