Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm liking my TD Carlos Ray (AKA Chuck Norris) pants.

The fit is true to size, after laundering in hot. The pants are stretchy and comfortable, and functional for ninja moves if needed. These pants have a jeans look and don't have side cargo pockets, which made me shift my wallet to the front left pocket, but that's ok. They fit my big knife, and my light. Most importantly, they also got the Mrs. CF stamp of approva--who inspected them from the front, then the back, and said "I like them."

I tried the new TD Braddock Pants with less success. The cloth is heavy, which I like. But the fit is... weird. The waist is really large (~34"+), and the cloth is super stretchy. The front pockets hang open with a big gap. Possibly I could go 2" smaller, but I'm not going to try.

Carlos Ray (AKA Chuck Norris) pants
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I had been about to ask you about these; I think I saw them in the “comfortable aiwb” thread.

I just picked up a pair of these plus a pair of the “Otte gear universal CL” pants. Have only worn these so far. I’m a bit worried about the waist shrinking; they fit perfect around the waist right now before washing. But I like them a lot! Only thing is I don’t know why they had to go with contrasting stitching on the pleats:
    Are these a slim/tapered fit? Thinking of ordering a pair but not into real loose fitting pants. Curious about shrinkage after washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Are these a slim/tapered fit? Thinking of ordering a pair but not into real loose fitting pants. Curious about shrinkage after washing.
    Not super slim, but not "loose fit" saggin' style either. If you want a slimmer fit, maybe order a size down and only wash in cold? I could have gone with 30", and usually wear 32 for IWB carry.

What I like about the 32" TD Carlos Rays I have on now is that with all the stuff I have in my pockets, and a full-size gun AIWB, I still have a full range of movement. That does mean they are on the looser side for a jeans-style pant. They are tapered at the legs, and stay up while wearing boots.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter

Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Just wore these after washing for the first time. Much neater fit than most “tactical” pants. Wife gave them the seal of approval just now, that’s a pretty high bar and is solely appearance related.

The pocket arrangement isn’t perfect for me; I’d prefer at least one super low profile cargo pocket. But everything else seems good, including front pocket depth and roominess.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Just wore these after washing for the first time. Much neater fit than most “tactical” pants. Wife gave them the seal of approval just now, that’s a pretty high bar and is solely appearance related.

The pocket arrangement isn’t perfect for me; I’d prefer at least one super low profile cargo pocket. But everything else seems good, including front pocket depth and roominess.
    Thanks. I ordered two pairs of the Dynamis Alliance jeans and really like them, but even the slim are a bit roomier than I'd prefer.
    I may try a pair of these too.

Site Supporter

Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Bit of a longer term update on these FWIW:

Carlos Ray pants are now probably my favorite pants.
    Was originally worried about the 2 extra pockets on the legs being open-topped and a little narrow. The “narrow” thing is a real limitation, My kindle won’t fit in any pants pocket. But that is really the only complaint I have.
    Got a “nice pants” compliment from my wife, my daughter, and a random soccer mom at the park [emoji1]
    I Will have to admit, the pants are mobile enough that twice now I’ve gotten lazy on my light squat day of the week when I lift without a belt, and just worked out in these pants. Had to hitch them up just a tad, but no problems doing light low bar back squats, goblet squats, or kettlebell swings.

The Otte gear universal CL pants haven’t been as impressive. At first glance they look dressier which is why I tried them. But they are a little too baggy for my taste, and the material is such that it makes me want to iron them, and they still don’t look all that great. Plus a larper designed the pockets. There are weird hidden pockets that I would never use, and the pocket location/sizing is unusual and problematic for me.

So at least for me, one triple that almost made it out of the park, and one swing-and-miss.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    Yes, now that you mention it, I did find the Lithos a little baggy around the waist. I’m typically a size 34x34, so that’s what I ordered. They were more like a 36x34. I washed them and threw them in the drier, and they did shrink a bit, maybe to a size 35x34. I bought another pair of Lithos, this time a size 32x34, and they’re right on the money, a perfect fit around the waist, albeit still somewhat baggy in the crotch area, which I don’t mind at all. However, I haven’t washed and dried those yet, and I’m guessing they may end up a tad tight around the waist when I do, but still wearable.

I will say the Aeros fit perfectly right from the get go and have not shrunk after several washings. The material is lighter and different from the Lithos, though.
    Wanted to give another update on the Aeros. After several more washes and putting them in the dryer, the inseam shrunk about an inch. The waist is still fine, though. I’ll just have to hang dry them from now on.

I just got two pairs of the TD Carlos Rays in - love the design and construction, but the sizing is all over the place. One pair is slightly loose, the other (same size on the tags) I can get my clenched fist into the waistband without stretching them out. Both are very long in the leg as well - I wear precisely the same size in five or six other brands/styles, but these are oversized, over length, and inconsistent. Also, "hand wash and line dry only?" Seriously?

Waiting to hear back from them on their "100% satisfaction" guarantee, if I have to pay to ship them back I'll be pretty unchuffed...

I was just going to follow up on my TD Carlos Rays....they fit the same as my LA Police Gear jeans. They are the "Just Right" spot with me, not too loose and not too tight. I have three pairs now and they all fit the same. The construction seems good and they have held up well to my rides through the desert on my TW200 and a few shooting trips as well. Nothing crazy on the bike as I am too old to break stuff, but they have held up well to some good swipes against the creosote bushes.

TD is also having a sale right now on the CR's.

I hope the above poster gets his situation sorted out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I just got two pairs of the TD Carlos Rays in - love the design and construction, but the sizing is all over the place. One pair is slightly loose, the other (same size on the tags) I can get my clenched fist into the waistband without stretching them out. Both are very long in the leg as well - I wear precisely the same size in five or six other brands/styles, but these are oversized, over length, and inconsistent. Also, "hand wash and line dry only?" Seriously?

Waiting to hear back from them on their "100% satisfaction" guarantee, if I have to pay to ship them back I'll be pretty unchuffed...
    Crap, I have 2 more pair on the way. Hope they fit the same as the first pair.
    LOL at hand wash. That’s not happening in my house. Think mine have been washed 3 times as of now, no ill effects so far from machine washing and drying.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

I tried to return mine because one 32" pair (Braddock) was massively huge, and the Carlos Ray pair was 2" too large. The CS girl told me that they do not do refunds on used clothing.

It was an interesting pants experiment because the design is very unique. But, I'll pass on TD from now on.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List