Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Riggs also make the ranger pants that do have cargo pants I've worn these for years for outside work and they can take some serious abuse and hold up great, some of the best pants I've ever worn...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I used to like these for when I had to maintain business casual at work but now that I don't, I like jeans.

By far, my favorite type are the humble Wrangler Riggs. Sort of like Carhartt on a budget. Just comfy and plain tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Wranglers Riggs have cavernous pockets.
    Riggs Ranger "carpenter" pants FTW. That hammer loop is just big enough to make them look not tactical, but it never catches on stuff.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    My vote too. They wear like iron. I took the Riggs label off the rear pocket and relocated the 3-o'clock belt loop on a few pairs and only wish they offered a few more colors.
    I think they do, but not in enough sizes...
    Last edited by Drang; 01-17-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    How are the cargo pockets held closed? Velcro? Buttons?
    Two Snaps on each cargo pocket flap.

FYI the Riggs are made with a rip-stop like material that has zero stretch. Unlike other pants/jeans that feel like they stretch some in the waist while your wearing them Riggs don't. What I'm talking about are pants that feel tighter after a wash & dry. Riggs don't. There is no give in the material over time as you wear them. They come out of the wash feeling exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Blue jeans, Carhartts, the occasional Vertx here. Lots of jeans with carpenter pockets.

Good stuff in these threads:

Custom "tactical" or like clothing
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-like-clothing

Khaki pants for carry
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ants-for-carry

Pants. (Or, A Newbie's Guide to Functional Clothing)
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....onal-Clothing)

Detective Uniform
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ective-Uniform

I really like the term "functional clothing" for this stuff.

Have you tried these? Softer material, and when hang-dried they look like a casual colored jean after laundering.
    http://www.carhartt.com/products/Loo...nter-Jean-B159
    I think I have a pair, but I'll have to check. If so, they may be the one Carhartt pant I like.

When I said cheap before, I meant cheaply made, not price. I "like" all of the carhartts, but after some washing's they appear cheaply made and look cheap to me. Possibly not the ones linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    FYI the Riggs are made with a rip-stop like material that has zero stretch. Unlike other pants/jeans that feel like they stretch some in the waist while your wearing them Riggs don't. What I'm talking about are pants that feel tighter after a wash & dry. Riggs don't. There is no give in the material over time as you wear them. They come out of the wash feeling exactly the same.
    Yup. They last and last.
    #RESIST

I wear the 5.11 pants, in different styles, quite a bit. However, I love my Duluth Firehose pants in the winter. They do make some lighter blends for summer months. If you are looking at the Duluth trading company pants, they are roomy in the legs but run a size small on the waste.

I have found climbing/hiking pants to be the best alternative to tactical pants. They can usually hold a similar amount of things, but have the benefit of being made from higher quality materials (harder wearing), fit (don't look like you're wearing a parachute), and looking presentable.

Depending on how much you wanted to spend or what fit you would need I would recommend brands (in addition to Arcteryx and Kuhl which have already been mentioned) such as: Haglofs, Fjallraven, Black Diamond, Outdoor Research, Marmot, Mammut, Mountain Hardwear, Eider, and Mountain Equipment (amongst many others). Fjallraven and Haglofs probably have pants that are most similar to tactical pants in regards to pockets, but their pretty much the same price as Arcteryx.

double tap
    Last edited by Mack; 01-17-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    I have found climbing/hiking pants to be the best alternative to tactical pants. They can usually hold a similar amount of things, but have the benefit of being made from higher quality materials (harder wearing), fit (don't look like you're wearing a parachute), and looking presentable.
    I was wearing 5.11 pants before they were ever associated with Tactical. Back in the day they were climbing pants designed and made by Royal Robbins. At the time 5.11 was the most difficult rating for a climbing pitch.

I forget the exact history but Patagonia founder (got to look up the spelling) Yvon Chouinard was Robbins climbing buddy. Chouinard had Great Pacific Iron Works making Pitons, Carabiners and other climbing gear. Patagonia was the clothing side. This was all before Patagonia & North face went main stream. Somewhere in the house I still have a few pairs of "Stand Up Shorts" (probably 2" to small in the waist to wear but not bad for 30+ years later). I can't remember if Patagonia picked up the 5.11 name at the time or just had their version.

This was circa 1977 - 1981 when I worked in a Ski Shop while in college and we also sold Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing and Backpacking gear. I picked up my first handgun the day before I turned 21 (Browning Hi-Power) and the infamous Glock had not been born yet.

I have found most of the hiking/mountaineering pants to be noticeably less durable than "tactical" pants, which is one small reason why I went from my favorite Arcteryx pants to the vertx. Now, I'm back around to the begining, since vertx is not only not what it once was, but is now as ubiquitous as the 5.11's.

The Duluth firehose definitely seems to be the most durable I've used. Not great for summer, but as already noted, there are plenty of lighter weight options for the warmer months.

User Tag List