Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    FWIW, the one pair of vertx I got years ago were about two inches small in the waist. Tried them on, never wore them. They're in a closet somewhere. I'm sticking with Duluth, and sometimes Tru-Spec.
    I'm a big fan of the Tru-Spec pants. They're near rip-proof, take a decent crease, blood washes out without staining and they're comfy even in the summer. Plus not every brand carries the 38 inseam I need. They make them in a light "suntan" shade instead of a brownish khaki and the prices are very reasonable. All things considered, they get my vote.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    I love the Tru-spec Ascent pants and shorts. A little thinner and More comfortable than the regular Tru-spec.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’m actually glad to see this thread come back. It’s hot again and again I’m on my fruitless annual quest for:
    1) Elastic-waist board shorts with beltloops, cargo pockets, back pockets, and a zipper fly
    2) Relatively inexpensive but properly fitting cargos for choring around the house.
    I picked up some of these shorts from Costco about a month ago. They meet all of your requests except cargo pockets. They do have an extra pocket in one of the thighs.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I recently discovered the Wrangler ATG line of pants:

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/men-outdoor-pants

Their synthetic pants are very comfortable, less baggy, light weight and perfect for the summer time heat here in Texas. I think they also look less “tactical” than regular cargo pants. I like the utility of cargo pants, but was never a fan of how the extra baggy material would sometimes snag on twigs and branches in heavy brush. The Wrangler ATG synthetics are less baggy and have some stretch for more flexible movements. They also dry very quickly, unlike the cotton and “heavy canvas” cargo pants that just add even more weight when they get wet in the rain. A few of my cotton ones have also torn in the front during weighted belly crawls. With that said, the Wrangler ATG synthetic material might be more prone to tearing, as it’s much thinner than regular cotton ones. I guess time will tell how they hold up in that regard.

Pretty much giving in on this and looking to get another pair of the Vertx Phantom LT 2.0 shorts and possibly a pair or two of the pants. Any good online sources that offer these things at lower prices?
    much appreciated.

One other question for those that have been wearing them...

The waists seem to be a known issue re: sizing from everywhere I look, and the pair I have are a 36 with no room to IWB when I typically wear a 34.

so the new pair of shorts are easy, I just get the 36, and the pants waist size I'm going to assume will match, but do they have the same issue (running small) in the length as well? In other words, if I usually wear a 32" inseam, should I size up to a 34"?
    thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and ordered the pants in both a 32" and 34" inseam just in case. Also ordered the shorts in both tan and OD just to see if I wanted to wind up with a second pair in the same color I already have, or something different. I'll just send back one of the shorts and one of the pants.

i'll let y'all know what I find with the lengths.
    So you guys are going to love this...

Got the shorts and pants. The good news is that the 36” waist seems consistent between all three, and pretty much consistent with the old pair of shorts I have. However...

That 36” waist is *barely* big enough for this guy that typically wears a 34” at most. And when I say ”barely” what I mean is that the elastic is probably at about 75” of its stretch. And that’s without having washed them at all.

The legs on the pants? You’re not going to believe this, but even the 32” length is too long. Maybe that’s good news since someone previously posted that the shrinkage they experienced was all in the length.

But I can’t help but find it hilarious that a guy that wears a 34w 32l in almost every other pant I own, has to UP a size in the waist to get them to barely fit, and DOWN a size in the legs with vertx.
    In some weird way, they kind of have?

Or, at least, become standardized?

Several years ago I ordered three identically-sized pairs of pants from them and received three different fits, all wearing identical size tags (meaning, the issue wasn't that they sent the wrong sku). IIRC they were all manufactured in different countries, which explained the issue but didn't excuse it.

if it turns out that I have to order pants from them with a waist size of "monkey" and a length of "pineapple" then I can do that so long as I know "monkey" and "pineapple" are what fits me.

I use "monkey" and "pineapple" because if Vertx can't do numbers, i won't either when dealing with them.
    FYI, washed and dried once the 32” inseam is AT LEAST 2” too long on the pants, and the 36” waist is pushing it. I could easily see needing a 38w 30l, which in any other pant would mean I was a troll.

FWIW I’m 6’-1” 190 lbs. “office loser” body.
    Most probably don't care, but somebody somewhere must find this amusing...

As the temperatures in SE Florida dip from 90s to 80s, I'm reminded that I'll want some sort of pant when the temps get to the 50s. I was thinking of this thread, and figured I'd try ordering up my troll pants from Vertx in my annual pursuit of futility, so I placed an order for some 38W 30L Phantom 2.0s in grey. Pants arrived, and I tried them on this morning.

Length seems right, but will possibly over-shorten in the wash, and is hard to assess because...

The 38 waist is voluminous. Not just oversized for IWB, but like falling off my body oversized. Went and grabbed up some of the shorts that I've been wearing, two of which are too tight while one is just right, to verify that they are in fact 36 (despite the differing fits across the range) and confirmed that yes, those are all 36" waist.

so, back they will go. I may try ordering a pair of the 36 first just to have two otherwise identical pairs on hand to photo-document for my own future reminder.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I recently discovered the Propper Aeros and Lithos pants. The Aeros are lightweight and very comfortable. They have additional pockets but don’t look traditional cargo pants. The Lithos are a bit more heavy duty with heavier material. They also have good pockets but are more like a traditional pair of pants. They’re now my favorite outdoor type pants. Propper is currently having a sale on them right now, but today is the last day of their sale.

https://www.propper.com/aeros-lithos

I pretty much live in Railriders if I’m outdoors, they’re a bit pricey but bomb-proof.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Advantage Police Supply on eBay has been selling off the old Woolrich Elite pants for $28 in khaki color. These were by far for me the most comfortable “tactical” pant I ever wore. I had two pair and it took years to wear them out. I bought six (6) so hopefully they’ll last me a bit.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    I recently discovered the Propper Aeros and Lithos pants. The Aeros are lightweight and very comfortable. They have additional pockets but don’t look traditional cargo pants. The Lithos are a bit more heavy duty with heavier material. They also have good pockets but are more like a traditional pair of pants. They’re now my favorite outdoor type pants. Propper is currently having a sale on them right now, but today is the last day of their sale.

https://www.propper.com/aeros-lithos
    I just got a pair of the Lithos off Amazon. Curious if you find the waist to be sized "generously"? I ordered 36 x 32 and the waist is falling-down loose on me. Thinking of exchanging for a 34 x 32.
    Otherwise, I like the fabric, front pockets are yuuuuge (I like that), and they don't really look "tactical" either.

Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    I just got a pair of the Lithos off Amazon. Curious if you find the waist to be sized "generously"? I ordered 36 x 32 and the waist is falling-down loose on me. Thinking of exchanging for a 34 x 32.
    Otherwise, I like the fabric, front pockets are yuuuuge (I like that), and they don't really look "tactical" either.
    Yes, now that you mention it, I did find the Lithos a little baggy around the waist. I’m typically a size 34x34, so that’s what I ordered. They were more like a 36x34. I washed them and threw them in the drier, and they did shrink a bit, maybe to a size 35x34. I bought another pair of Lithos, this time a size 32x34, and they’re right on the money, a perfect fit around the waist, albeit still somewhat baggy in the crotch area, which I don’t mind at all. However, I haven’t washed and dried those yet, and I’m guessing they may end up a tad tight around the waist when I do, but still wearable.

I will say the Aeros fit perfectly right from the get go and have not shrunk after several washings. The material is lighter and different from the Lithos, though.

User Tag List