Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    $77 for a pair of pants?

I'm way too cheap to buy 'em.
    This ^^^^ - guess I'll just stick with my Dickies/Walmart $19/pair "tactical" pants.

Related to cargo pants, cargo shorts...

I’ve been on a quest for my idea, house shorts. Cargo, $25 or less, elastic waist so I can go belt or no belt...

Decided to try the Propper Tactical Shorts because they seems to check a lot of the boxes. Got one pair of 34” and the waist was too small so sent them back and got the 36”. Tried them on quickly and they seemed fine.
    yeah, no.

Cell pocket won’t close on an iPhone X to start with. Then sitting around in them, walking around in them, the cut is just super jacked up. Crotch is cut too low and binds when walking, the waist is elastic but about 4” down from there it cinches when sitting.

So now I’m back to the drawing board, but upping my price cap to $35.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Related to cargo pants, cargo shorts...

I’ve been on a quest for my idea, house shorts. Cargo, $25 or less, elastic waist so I can go belt or no belt...

Decided to try the Propper Tactical Shorts because they seems to check a lot of the boxes. Got one pair of 34” and the waist was too small so sent them back and got the 36”. Tried them on quickly and they seemed fine.
    yeah, no.

Cell pocket won’t close on an iPhone X to start with. Then sitting around in them, walking around in them, the cut is just super jacked up. Crotch is cut too low and binds when walking, the waist is elastic but about 4” down from there it cinches when sitting.

So now I’m back to the drawing board, but upping my price cap to $35.
    Similar to my experience with Propper Cargo Pants. I'm not sure who they are using for their cuts, but it must be a martian, because the pants don't fit anything like they should. I ordered my default size 36x30, the 36" waist was sized like a 40, and the 30" inseam was closer to a 38" inseam. I tried them on, meant to return them, and then forgot about them and by the time I remembered it was past the return window. So, I ended up cutting 9" off the bottom of the pants to get them to fit properly length wise, but of course the rise and crotch were all wrong, looked like I was wearing a sewn up pair of pajama bottoms.

Similarly, I tried one of Propper's hoodies in an XL and it was sized like a M in the torso and an XXL in the sleeves.

For shorts, I honestly can't find anything I like that is cheap enough. So, I spent the cash on two pairs of Kuhls last year and gave up on trying to find something else. Hmm, maybe I'll try cutting the pants into shorts...that might work better.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.

So LA Police Gea had 5.11 taclite pro shorts on sale.
    https://lapolicegear.com/511-taclite-pro-shorts.html

Got a 34” and a 36”. 34 fit better even though in many brands, like Levis, I seem to have left the land of the 34. They aren’t perfect (modern cell phone doesn’t fit the small pocket, elastic isn’t as tight as I’d like, material is a little too plastic-y) but for knockaround shorts that are <$35 they’ll do ok.

Funny that I’m back where I started 15+ years ago. Royal Robbins 5.11 were for sure my first “tactical” pants and shorts.

The vertex are probably my favorite that I’ve tried. They look just un-lame enough that I don’t mind leaving the house in them if I need to. The 5.11 and other cargo shorts I have are good for a Home Depot run and not much else. But at the price of the Vertx I don’t really want to wear the for chorin since I’d feel bad getting them munged and don’t want to pay the price to replace them.

I wish Vertx hadn't discontinued the Core line. Better yet, I wish I bought a few pairs when they were on close-out...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Best Tactical Cargo Pants

The newly redesigned Arc’teryx xFunctional pants are amazing. I bought the heavier model (SV IIRC) a few months ago and pretty much haven’t stopped wearing them. Obviously I wish they were cheaper, but they’ve completely replaced my Vertx pants and I’ll be buying the standard pair shortly. I had the original xFunctionals and wasn’t a fan of the fit - the new model is a little baggier and significantly more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-31-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Pretty much giving in on this and looking to get another pair of the Vertx Phantom LT 2.0 shorts and possibly a pair or two of the pants. Any good online sources that offer these things at lower prices?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any good online sources that offer these things at lower prices?
    Promo Code "warpoet" provides a solid discount.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Promo Code "warpoet" provides a solid discount.
    much appreciated.

One other question for those that have been wearing them...

The waists seem to be a known issue re: sizing from everywhere I look, and the pair I have are a 36 with no room to IWB when I typically wear a 34.

so the new pair of shorts are easy, I just get the 36, and the pants waist size I'm going to assume will match, but do they have the same issue (running small) in the length as well? In other words, if I usually wear a 32" inseam, should I size up to a 34"?

I'd go longer. Over time, mine have drawn up.

User Tag List