Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

I don't wear cargo pants, the Wrangler Riggs and Duluth Fire Hose Logger pants are my favorite work pants. In my free time I wear shorts year round unless it's snowing or in the 20's temperature wise. My favorite are the Duluth Fire Hose cargo shorts or Dry on the Fly shorts. For off the rack shorts I can buy locally the Lee Dungaree cargo shorts aren't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Notso View Post
    SLG, you're right. They do draw attention for people "in the know" but I hate sitting on a wallet and these new bigger iPhones (compensation??) are getting harder to stuff in pockets. Nevermind lights and knives. And let's face it, even in jeans, we probably still stand out in a crowd for the way we act and the number of things clipped on our pockets.

Arcteryx makes good stuff but I swear the threads must be made by golden caterpillars and glued with the tears of a Kardashian for the price.

I really liked Vertx but I have some issues with the fit every once in a while. They don't scream tacticool too badly but as they became more popular... Might as well be called 5.12 now.
    Try some Under Armour, they are well made and seem to fit better than the 5.11, even though I think everything cost more than it should.

In my opinion one prime requirement for any outdoor/tactical activity pant would be a gusseted crotch. With all other features your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I used to like these for when I had to maintain business casual at work but now that I don't, I like jeans.

By far, my favorite type are the humble Wrangler Riggs. Sort of like Carhartt on a budget. Just comfy and plain tough.
    My vote too. They wear like iron. I took the Riggs label off the rear pocket and relocated the 3-o'clock belt loop on a few pairs and only wish they offered a few more colors.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Wranglers Riggs have cavernous pockets.
    Those look pretty good. How cheap though? I won't wear carhart anymore because they really look bad coming out of the wash. They seem to crease really badly and don't wear soft like my others. Very "cardboardy."

SLG, you're right. They do draw attention for people "in the know" but I hate sitting on a wallet and these new bigger iPhones (compensation??) are getting harder to stuff in pockets. Nevermind lights and knives. And let's face it, even in jeans, we probably still stand out in a crowd for the way we act and the number of things clipped on our pockets.

Arcteryx makes good stuff but I swear the threads must be made by golden caterpillars and glued with the tears of a Kardashian for the price.

I really liked Vertx but I have some issues with the fit every once in a while. They don't scream tacticool too badly but as they became more popular... Might as well be called 5.12 now.
    Everyone has different comfort levels with what and where they carry stuff. As a reference point, I carry a very large cred wallet in my front left pocket, with a small CC and cash wallet in front of it. Skellgel on the outer (inside) edge of the that pocket. Right front pocket holds my S5 in a military otterbox case, Foster jack and a SAK. Right rear pocket holds my TQ, which is an old skool, triangular bandage, wrapped correctly and laying very flat, for immediate use. My left rear pocket is empty most of the time, but will sometimes hold my car keys for short durations, or anything else I need impromptu. My pistol, mags, knife and light are all on my belt.

This setup allows me to use a very wide range of pants, without much issue at all. The carpenter type pants are really nice because I can drop my car keys in there and not have them in my back left pocket. Either way works ok though, and prevents me from needing cargo pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Those look pretty good. How cheap though? I won't wear carhart anymore because they really look bad coming out of the wash. They seem to crease really badly and don't wear soft like my others. Very "cardboardy."
    In my size, they're $32.99 on Prime. I've got two pairs, probably about four years old. They don't wrinkle bad at all and I dig the leather on the pocket for knives and such. They definitely look more blue collar than Vertx and I think they're tougher. No cargo pockets and that's fine by me.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 01-17-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    #RESIST

Since you were looking at Arcteryx and Crye, I'd suggest Triple Aught Design. Not crazy expensive and made in the US. Bonus points for meeting the CEO in a Shivworks class.

I always get a kick out of the EDC photo thread while wondering how the heck you guys fit all that in a pair of "discreet" jeans and go about your day.

Ordering a pair of the Riggs to try out.

Ok, to be serious. I reckon you all have a lot of input on wearing these. I'm on a quest for the best pair ever. I have worn the original 5.11 tacticals, Vertx when they first came out, some Arcteryx. What do you all find to be the best these days. I've been eyeballing the Arcteryx Combat Pants Gen 2 and they might be it (if I could ever find a pair of mediums) but they're PRICEY beyond belief. In their defense, I have an old set of ill-fitting Gen 1’s and they are definitely worth the money for what they do. And to answer the question, I'm just looking for a good pair of pants that has the pockets to carry all the EDC, the wallet, the big phones these days, etc. and stands up to wear and tear, all while not looking too over the top tactical. (Crye would be great but you have to mortgage the house and multicam in a mall...) I love cargo pockets for carrying wallets and phones and other things for easier access while sitting and driving. Reinforced pockets of the 5.11’s for knives and lights has always been a charm. I got my hands on arcteryx's new Xfunctional AR pants that they just released and they just didn't really work for me. The quest goes on.
    Blue jeans, Carhartts, the occasional Vertx here. Lots of jeans with carpenter pockets.

Good stuff in these threads:

Custom "tactical" or like clothing
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-like-clothing

Khaki pants for carry
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ants-for-carry

Pants. (Or, A Newbie's Guide to Functional Clothing)
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....onal-Clothing)

Detective Uniform
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ective-Uniform

I really like the term "functional clothing" for this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Have you tried these? Softer material, and when hang-dried they look like a casual colored jean after laundering.
    http://www.carhartt.com/products/Loo...nter-Jean-B159
    Last edited by ST911; 01-17-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List