Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I really want to try these bu (a) the $80 price tag is off-putting and (b) the sizing skips my ideal waist size of 35".
    They aren't cheap, for sure. I don't buy clothes on a regular basis. I wear my clothes until my wife throws them out (against my will) because they are so horribly worn and embarrass her.

Generally speaking expensive clothes are a waste of money to me. Every job I've ever had has come with a uniform. That's probably why I've never concerned myself with nice clothes - I just don't have a reason to wear them. I've never paid $135 for one pair of shorts and one pair of pants. Hitting "Submit order" made me a little nauseous. That said, these make me feel like they were worth it. If I take off the belt and gun I could easily sleep in them.

If you haven't done so, sign up for the Duluth email promos. Within a day or two I got a 20% discount email. They also offer free shipping over $50 but you can't combine free shipping and the 20% off.

You might be a medium. There is a ton of give in the waistband and that may be perfect. They do offer a 100% No Bull guarantee so returning them shouldn't be too much of a hassle - I'm not sure if you pay return shipping or they do though.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    ...I also wear the LAPG urban ops recon (don't get me started) in canvas because they look decent, have slim cut cargo pockets, and are about $25.
    Thanks for the tip. I just went to that site and bought 3 pair to try. Under $23.00 per pair. At that price, even if they are only half as good and comfortable as they appear to be, I will dance with joy at the screamin' deal I got and will return to by every color offered.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I recently got a pair of the pants Ubervic linked to and I love them. They fit great, feel comfortable, and actually look okay (not tactical). The negatives are that the cargo pocket on the right side has a single button closure without a flap so I think it's useless and the rear pockets are kind of shallow. I've caught my wallet having fallen out on more than one occasion when getting up from my seat at a restaurant. I also haven't had them long enough to need to wash them so I can't comment about them shrinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Update: I've washed my Mountain Khakis twice now. I followed the directions on the tag and they still shrank to the point that it looks like I'm wearing capris. One of the front pockets also has a hole in it. Guess I won't be recommending these anymore.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Update: I've washed my Mountain Khakis twice now. I followed the directions on the tag and they still shrank to the point that it looks like I'm wearing capris. One of the front pockets also has a hole in it. Guess I won't be recommending these anymore.
    I have not experienced the drastic shrinkage after washing that others have, but I have found that the sizing of the Mountain Khaki brand is inconsistent. I love the weight of the cotton, the cut of the legs and the design of all pockets...but I now have three (3) pair of pants in the same size yet one feels perfect, the other feels slightly tight, and the last purchase is virtually unwearable, all right out of the box. Too bad, and I won't recommend them going forward, either.

ETA: Didn't realize I had already replied to this thread. Oh, well.

I'm a cargo pant addict. I recently moved from a uniformed position at my plant to a management role, which means now I get to wear pretty much whatever I want, so I've been on the hunt for new pants. Here are a few that I've tried recently.

Vertx Original. Hands-down my favorite.
    Pros: Low-profile cargo pockets for a semi-professional appearance. Internal organizer slots in the cargo pockets which are perfectly sized for a CAT tourniquet and Dark Angel Mini. Comfy elastic waistband. Boot cut legs that are perfect for ankle carry. Roomy fit without being baggy and unsightly. Notched hip pockets that let you clip in a knife and light and still access everything in your pockets. Articulated knees which keep the pants from bunching up when kneeling or sitting.
    Cons: I carry my knife in my right hip pocket, and the zipper pull on the hidden pocket is visibly marring the blade of the knife. The heavier weight fabric is a little warm for summer use in South Florida. Sizing is a little wonky (inseams run about an inch long, waists run about an inch short—I'm a 34Wx34L in almost every other brand, but Vertx I have to wear 35Wx34L).

Vertx Phantom Ops.
    Pros: Lighter fabric than the Originals and better suited to warm weather. Roomier cargo pockets. Dedicated (but small) slot pockets on each hip for knives/lights, etc.
    Cons: Fabric is noisier than the Originals (at least when they're new). Fit is a little more snug around the hips and seat.

5.11 Stryke. Really not a big fan of these.
    Pros: Wide variety of colors. Lightweight fabric. Teflon coating that resists stains.
    Cons: Low rise and snug in the seat and hips. I'm not a metrosexual. I don't like tight pants.

TAD Force 10. Second favorite after the Vertx Originals.
    Pros: Tons of pockets. Externally accessible kneepad insert pockets. Front welt pockets. Hip pockets with integrated coin pockets and reinforced areas where knife pocket clips sit. Hidden document pockets. Sizable cargo pockets with multiple internal organizer slots. Pockets pockets pockets. Also available in a quick-drying 100% nylon "Amphibious Cloth" version that is great for hot weather.
    Cons: These are not grey-man pants. They are basically Crye Combat Pants without the hard kneecaps and stretch panels. Pricey.

Kuhl Kontra Air. These would be my favorites for hot weather if the hip pockets weren't so shallow.
    Pros: Lightweight, quick-drying fabric. Multiple mesh air vents for breathability. Articulated knees. Low profile zippered cargo pockets. Slot pockets perfect for CAT TQ/Dark Angel Mini. Reinforced fabric panels inside pant cuffs.
    Cons: Jeans-style and way too shallow traditional hip pocket design. Leg openings are a little on the narrow side.

TAD Recon. I love TAD stuff, but hate the pockets on these.
    Pros: Cargo pockets are not as ostentatious as on the Force 10s. These look more like hiking pants than tactical pants.
    Cons: Cargo pockets are small and force the contents toward the front of your thighs, which looks a little odd when full. Front welt pockets are inside/above the hip pockets, meaning they are difficult to access and the contents of each pocket are layered on top of each other. If you put something in the welt pocket, it obstructs access to the hip pocket.

TAD Covert. Little more professional looking than the Force 10s, but you sacrifice storage space.
    Pros: Outer thigh phone pockets that fit a CAT TQ/Dark Angel Mini fairly well. Reinforced knees. Reinforced cuffs.
    Cons: Snug fit compared to the Force 10s. Button fly.

I've also gone down the Mountain Khakis path in recent years. I really like their clothes, but I agree they tend to shrink excessively over time. I'll have to give Duluth another shot. I tried their original firehose pants years ago, but didn't care for the fit at the time.
    Last edited by Casey; 04-01-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

I'm a cargo pant addict. I recently moved from a uniformed position at my plant to a management role, which means now I get to wear pretty much whatever I want, so I've been on the hunt for new pants. Here are a few that I've tried recently.

Pros: Low-profile cargo pockets for a semi-professional appearance. Internal organizer slots in the cargo pockets which are perfectly sized for a CAT tourniquet and Dark Angel Mini. Comfy elastic waistband. Boot cut legs that are perfect for ankle carry. Roomy fit without being baggy and unsightly. Notched hip pockets that let you clip in a knife and light and still access everything in your pockets. Articulated knees which keep the pants from bunching up when kneeling or sitting.
    Cons: I carry my knife in my right hip pocket, and the zipper pull on the hidden pocket is visibly marring the blade of the knife. The heavier weight fabric is a little warm for summer use in South Florida. Sizing is a little wonky (inseams run about an inch long, waists run about an inch short—I'm a 34Wx34L in almost every other brand, but Vertx I have to wear 35Wx34L).

Vertx Phantom Ops.
    Pros: Lighter fabric than the Originals and better suited to warm weather. Roomier cargo pockets. Dedicated (but small) slot pockets on each hip for knives/lights, etc.
    Cons: Fabric is noisier than the Originals (at least when they're new). Fit is a little more snug around the hips and seat.

Pros: Wide variety of colors. Lightweight fabric. Teflon coating that resists stains.
    Cons: Low rise and snug in the seat and hips. I'm not a metrosexual. I don't like tight pants.

Pros: Tons of pockets. Externally accessible kneepad insert pockets. Front welt pockets. Hip pockets with integrated coin pockets and reinforced areas where knife pocket clips sit. Hidden document pockets. Sizable cargo pockets with multiple internal organizer slots. Pockets pockets pockets. Also available in a quick-drying 100% nylon "Amphibious Cloth" version that is great for hot weather.
    Cons: These are not grey-man pants. They are basically Crye Combat Pants without the hard kneecaps and stretch panels. Pricey.

Kuhl Kontra Air. These would be my favorites for hot weather if the hip pockets weren't so shallow.
    Pros: Lightweight, quick-drying fabric. Multiple mesh air vents for breathability. Articulated knees. Low profile zippered cargo pockets. Slot pockets perfect for CAT TQ/Dark Angel Mini. Reinforced fabric panels inside pant cuffs.
    Cons: Jeans-style and way too shallow traditional hip pocket design. Leg openings are a little on the narrow side.

Pros: Cargo pockets are not as ostentatious as on the Force 10s. These look more like hiking pants than tactical pants.
    Cons: Cargo pockets are small and force the contents toward the front of your thighs, which looks a little odd when full. Front welt pockets are inside/above the hip pockets, meaning they are difficult to access and the contents of each pocket are layered on top of each other. If you put something in the welt pocket, it obstructs access to the hip pocket.

TAD Covert. Little more professional looking than the Force 10s, but you sacrifice storage space.
    Pros: Outer thigh phone pockets that fit a CAT TQ/Dark Angel Mini fairly well. Reinforced knees. Reinforced cuffs.

I've also gone down the Mountain Khakis path in recent years. I really like their clothes, but I agree they tend to shrink excessively over time. I'll have to give Duluth another shot. I tried their original firehose pants years ago, but didn't care for the fit at the time.
    no 5.11 apex?

n00b.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

5.11 Apex are the most comfortable cargo pants I've ever worn, by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, unfortunately I'm done with them too. Really loved the fit and comfort.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...cessor=content

These are what I've been wearing recently. The pockets are very deep. I easily carry a G-26 in the front pocket and I could get away with a G-19. Cargo pockets are easily big enough for a J-Frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

Vertx Phantom Ops.

Have you tried TAD legionnaires? Good middle spot between the coverts and the full blown Force 10s.

User Tag List