Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

I finally snagged a pair of TD Carlos Ray 2.1 pants. BLUF: I don't expect I'll buy any more.

Some observations:
    - The thigh is a bit on the snug side. I don’t have overly thick legs, but hopefully these will break in over time.
    - Being able to wear a BUG on your ankle (or med kit) will be hit or miss. I haven’t dug out my snubbie to try, but the G26 and ankle med kit barely fit and someone who knows what to look for may figure out something is there. Also, the material is clingy enough that unless it relaxes over time, I’ll probably have to save these pants for days when I’m not at work.
    - I’m not a fan of their belt loop configuration. I prefer the side loops to be along the seam, exactly on the side (3 and 9 o’clock). I have found over 25+ years of carrying a gun that this places the loop out of the way of any and all holsters, mag/light pouches, etc. The side loops on these pants are back near 4 and 8 o’clock which means my SOS pouch is too far forward or too far back, and is messes with where I prefer to wear my cuff pouch. I also prefer pants with at least 3 loops in the back to support the weight of all the crap I wear day to day, and these have one small one. Note, I do not like tunnel loops like some pants offer – but 3 well made loops work best in my experience. These Ray’s have a tunnel in the weird Velcro spot on the right rear hip where a leather tag would normally be on jeans. You can run your belt through it, but that would only give support to one side, and as a right hander, it doesn’t work with my OWB and IWB holsters. If I run AIWB then I could run the belt through it, but again – it’s only giving support to one side.
    - The cell phone pockets. I had such high hopes for these… sadly they missed the mark.
    -- I prefer cell phone pockets that swallow the entire phone, but my iPhone 8 and my work phone stick out about ¾ of an inch. I recognize cell phone makers are constantly moving the goal posts, and the idiots at those companies keep making them larger, but my iPhone 8 is not that new. Nor is my POS Android based work phone.
    -- The pockets are also too low on the leg for me. The bottom of my phones hit the back of my knees which is uncomfortable when sitting, standing, walking, etc. Also, I’m 6ft 2in tall with fairly long arms, but standing up my finger tips can barely tough the top of the phones. I have to bend left or right to actually remove one from the pocket.
    -- Finally the pockets are so loose that when sitting anywhere that your thigh is horizontal ore more (desk chair, vehicle seat, couch) the phones easily slide out.

I wanted to try the Braddock pants, but suspect they will have similar issues. I was waiting for VertX to make the Hyde pants in more colors... but now they appear to be discontinued. The search continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Try their carpenter pants; they're made from a heavier material than the technician pants (with which I wasn't impressed). The carpenters are all I wear now for casual pants, although I did order a pair of the TD Carlos Ray's from the sale.
    Just an FYI, it appears the Wrangler has raised the prices on their Riggs Carpenter pants, so they're no longer quite the deal they were.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Anyone want a free pair of 38x30 Grey vertx PHANTOM LT 2.0 MEN'S TACTICAL PANTS? I guess I waited too long to return them. They are re unworn save the initial try-on.

I’ll just ask you to PayPal me like $10 to cover my shipping cost (and to make it super easy for me to print a shipping label).

If this turns into drama or you make this difficult I’ll just throw them in a fire.

First one to PM me gets ‘EM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone want a free pair of 38x30 Grey vertx PHANTOM LT 2.0 MEN'S TACTICAL PANTS? I guess I waited too long to return them. They are re unworn save the initial try-on.

I’ll just ask you to PayPal me like $10 to cover my shipping cost (and to make it super easy for me to print a shipping label).

If this turns into drama or you make this difficult I’ll just throw them in a fire.

First one to PM me gets ‘EM.
    Put them in the Karma thread. I've got two pairs of LAPG BDU pants that I bought in my pre-chemo size of medium/regular that don't fit, I now need large/regular. That's where they're going.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I finally snagged a pair of TD Carlos Ray 2.1 pants. BLUF: I don't expect I'll buy any more.

Some observations:
    - The thigh is a bit on the snug side. I don’t have overly thick legs, but hopefully these will break in over time.
    - Being able to wear a BUG on your ankle (or med kit) will be hit or miss. I haven’t dug out my snubbie to try, but the G26 and ankle med kit barely fit and someone who knows what to look for may figure out something is there. Also, the material is clingy enough that unless it relaxes over time, I’ll probably have to save these pants for days when I’m not at work.
    - I’m not a fan of their belt loop configuration. I prefer the side loops to be along the seam, exactly on the side (3 and 9 o’clock). I have found over 25+ years of carrying a gun that this places the loop out of the way of any and all holsters, mag/light pouches, etc. The side loops on these pants are back near 4 and 8 o’clock which means my SOS pouch is too far forward or too far back, and is messes with where I prefer to wear my cuff pouch. I also prefer pants with at least 3 loops in the back to support the weight of all the crap I wear day to day, and these have one small one. Note, I do not like tunnel loops like some pants offer – but 3 well made loops work best in my experience. These Ray’s have a tunnel in the weird Velcro spot on the right rear hip where a leather tag would normally be on jeans. You can run your belt through it, but that would only give support to one side, and as a right hander, it doesn’t work with my OWB and IWB holsters. If I run AIWB then I could run the belt through it, but again – it’s only giving support to one side.
    - The cell phone pockets. I had such high hopes for these… sadly they missed the mark.
    -- I prefer cell phone pockets that swallow the entire phone, but my iPhone 8 and my work phone stick out about ¾ of an inch. I recognize cell phone makers are constantly moving the goal posts, and the idiots at those companies keep making them larger, but my iPhone 8 is not that new. Nor is my POS Android based work phone.
    -- The pockets are also too low on the leg for me. The bottom of my phones hit the back of my knees which is uncomfortable when sitting, standing, walking, etc. Also, I’m 6ft 2in tall with fairly long arms, but standing up my finger tips can barely tough the top of the phones. I have to bend left or right to actually remove one from the pocket.
    -- Finally the pockets are so loose that when sitting anywhere that your thigh is horizontal ore more (desk chair, vehicle seat, couch) the phones easily slide out.

I wanted to try the Braddock pants, but suspect they will have similar issues. I was waiting for VertX to make the Hyde pants in more colors... but now they appear to be discontinued. The search continues...
    Great observations. I bought a pair of the TD Carlos Ray pants as well. They’re decent enough, but they fit me a bit weird. The area around the waist is a bit baggy, almost like they were tailored for people with wider hips or something.

As for the belt loops, I actually prefer fewer belt loops - around 5 or so. Having too many belt loops tends to interfere with holster placement, for me at least. The LAPG chino pants and the 5.11 chinos have more belt loops if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I just got a pair of LAPG’s Terrain Flex pants and really like them:

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-btsf10...-fit-pant.html

They fit me better and are actually cheaper than the TD Carlos Ray pants. But they come in less color options. They have only 5 belt loops, though, which I actually prefer, but I know others prefer more belt loops. They also come in 36” long inseam, which I like because although I’m a 34” inseam, the LAPG brand pants always tend to shrink in the inseam after washing and drying a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    Great observations. I bought a pair of the TD Carlos Ray pants as well. They’re decent enough, but they fit me a bit weird. The area around the waist is a bit baggy, almost like they were tailored for people with wider hips or something.

As for the belt loops, I actually prefer fewer belt loops - around 5 or so. Having too many belt loops tends to interfere with holster placement, for me at least. The LAPG chino pants and the 5.11 chinos have more belt loops if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I just got a pair of LAPG’s Terrain Flex pants and really like them:

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-btsf10...-fit-pant.html

They fit me better and are actually cheaper than the TD Carlos Ray pants. But they come in less color options. They have only 5 belt loops, though, which I actually prefer, but I know others prefer more belt loops. They also come in 36” long inseam, which I like because although I’m a 34” inseam, the LAPG brand pants always tend to shrink in the inseam after washing and drying a few times.
    Thanks for the link; I might have to look in to those.

My pair of TD Carlos Ray's are so close to being good. Yes, the fit is a tad weird in the waist, and the belt loops are a bit odd (especially the Velcro one), but I like the material and the general fit and look. I think I like them a tad better than my previous favorite (the Wrangler Riggs Carpenter pants). I don't want to look "tactical," and I, in general, don't want cargo pockets, but yet I'd like some sort of extra pocket on my left side for my pepper spray.
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thanks for the link; I might have to look in to those.

My pair of TD Carlos Ray's are so close to being good. Yes, the fit is a tad weird in the waist, and the belt loops are a bit odd (especially the Velcro one), but I like the material and the general fit and look. I think I like them a tad better than my previous favorite (the Wrangler Riggs Carpenter pants). I don't want to look "tactical," and I, in general, don't want cargo pockets, but yet I'd like some sort of extra pocket on my left side for my pepper spray.
    Yeah I have no idea what is going on with the Velcro; I just skip it.

Pockets are so individual....the 2 “cell phone pockets” might suck for carrying a cellphone. But I find the size/location perfect for comfortably carrying a tourniquet, for example.

Site Supporter
    The mothership 5.11 website pushed out a sales ad today re pants etc. They had an apparent restock in my present favorite "tac pant"- the defender flex slim. 24 ish per pair, free shipping over 35.00 So get two pair or just one and add a t-shirt (10-15) and you are good to go.

These can do the work in the field but are "nice" enough to wear with a collared shirt and be "business casual" for most folks.

They have decent availability W-28-40/I-30-36 in Blk/light Khaki/Brown/and ODish brown (my color adjectives, not theirs). These pants are 65ish cotton/35ish synthetic so they have a bit of stretch such that while I would not size down, I would not size up re AIWB/IWB. They run spot on re length but if you had to go short/long, you could alway cuff them a bit, wear with boot etc.

They have the std 5 pocket set up augmented by two "mag" pockets behind each hip point.

I have 2 blk, 1 lt. khaki, 1 green and 1 brown already (5) . I am adding another lt khaki and an ODish brown to the mix. Sewn in Bangladesh, NOT CHINA if it matters to you.

I like these enough that I have sold all but one pair of OD Green Cargo 5.11 I am still using for Scouting.

Did I say they were 23.49 on sale marked down from 69.99?

https://www.511tactical.com/defender-flex-slim-6.html
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

@vcdgrips how slim is "slim"?
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Slim trending straight, not skinny. similar to the standard Prana Zion Stretch pant in the seat and thigh, definitely slimmer through the leg and ankle.
    In fairness, I do not have a big seat or thighs.

I am 6' 3'' , 204.6 this am. I typically wear 34-36 in the waist and 34 inseam for an off the rack pair of paints, jeans.

Even in the 34, after multiple washes, I can AIWB a G35 in CCC Shaggy, a mag in a Snake Eater Tactical and a Soc-P for a full IWB loadout with no issues to include a 6 hour drive.

FWIW, I washed these (34) inside out in cold and line dried the first few times. I did no such thing with the 36s I bought.

I think the photos on the website are representative of the fit.

Ed to add-ankle carry of a firearm may be marginal as they are about 7.5 inch wide when measured flat in the 34/36 ones I have. Cuffing the end of the pant would open them up a bit.
    FWIW.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List