Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming UFC fights

Upcoming UFC fights

McGregor vs dos Anjos.

Holm vs Tate.

Thoughts?
    #RESIST

I should point out that the Rousey vs Holm rematch is indefinitely postponed upon request of Rousey.
    #RESIST

McGregor and Dos Anjos will be a barn burner. I think Holly Holm will clean Meisha Tate's clock.

I don't think Tate has a chance. I need to watch some Dos Anjos fights but McGregor is on fire as of late.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I should point out that the Rousey vs Holm rematch is indefinitely postponed upon request of Rousey.
    Indefinitely? That's too bad. I've been watching some of Holm's fights...they are very entertaining and at least to my amateur eyes, she seems like a very analytical, scientific boxer. Plus she can land a killer side kick. I'm a sucker for any fighter than can land a killer side kick.

McGregor is a fun fighter to watch too. I look forward to the Dos Anjos fight.

Holly Holm is the most complete fighter I've seen in UFC in forever. I'd put my money on her without hesitation. A skilled striker who knows how to negate most grapplers is fairly rare in that sport. To be honest, I haven't really followed the sport since Machida used that beautiful leaping front kick to knock out Randy Couture and my all-time favorite UFC fight was Matt Hughes beating Royce Gracie like a red-headed stepchild.

Minor OT rant, but coming from a nearly purely striking background, UFC has a LOT of rules that make much of what I do against dedicated grapplers illegal (one defense I use against the double-leg takedown is to sprawl to keep my base before dropping elbows and hammerfists into the spine which is illegal under UFC rules; using finger locks to pry apart chokes is another thing that's not allowed. Not saying that's a bad thing for a sport as you can't have people crippling each other regularly and maintain the sport, but it is an observation I've made). It annoys me that the game is skewed in favor of grapplers, from what I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Holm destroys Meisha Tate in the first round by TKO from that wicked left foot. - Holm vs. Rousey rematch will be another Rousey loss, unless she ditches her coach, and focuses heavily on her training. Holly Holm is an extremely talented and technical fighter. Rousey has had her number called and will need to double down on her technicality and training to win it.

McGregor vs. Dos Anjos - I find this fight annoying. There are a lot of guys at 155, who I feel should have gotten a title shot long ahead of McGregor. This is a pure marketing ploy by UFC and Dana White. My hope is that Rafael dos Anjos puts a fast end to McGregor's mouth and hands him the beating his ego needs. That said, I'm still stunned at how stupid Jose Aldo was. Analysis of McGregor's fighting style, shows he is a quintessential counter-puncher. And Aldo walked right into that left hand like a moron. If Rafael dos Anjos underestimates McGregor or worse does not go into the fight with his head straight, McGregor is going to clean his frickin' clock.

Then thing about McGregor is - he is as confident as the only rooster in the hen house - And it rubs everyone the wrong way and they want to beat him at his own game. - Which is their own cockiness and ego getting in the way. A good fighter would break down McGregor's fights and take a plan of action to move him away from his comfort area and get the job done. Just like Holly Holm took out Rousey, by not playing her game, the person that takes out McGregor will do the same. I'm not sure Rafael dos Anjos will be that guy, given his desire to get it done with striking. A smart guy would employ a bunch of smarter fighters as his coach and think hard about strategy. Also - a smart guy wouldn't play McGregor's mind games, he's excellent and managing the mind game and dos Anjos is not. - Despite my desire to see McGregor lose, I think he becomes the first UFC fighter to hold titles in two divisions, with a third-round finish of dos Anjos by TKO.

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-16-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    Minor OT rant, but coming from a nearly purely striking background, UFC has a LOT of rules that make much of what I do against dedicated grapplers illegal (one defense I use against the double-leg takedown is to sprawl to keep my base before dropping elbows and hammerfists into the spine which is illegal under UFC rules; using finger locks to pry apart chokes is another thing that's not allowed. Not saying that's a bad thing for a sport as you can't have people crippling each other regularly and maintain the sport, but it is an observation I've made). It annoys me that the game is skewed in favor of grapplers, from what I've seen.
    There are MMA promotions where spine attacks like that are legal?

In general, I find UFC (and pro MMA in general) has jumped the shark into professional wrestling territory. McGregor is silly, though I do like how he handled Mayweather.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Holm destroys Meisha Tate in the first round by TKO from that wicked left foot. - Holm vs. Rousey rematch will be another Rousey loss, unless she ditches her coach, and focuses heavily on her training. Holly Holm is an extremely talented and technical fighter. Rousey has had her number called and will need to double down on her technicality and training to win it.

McGregor vs. Dos Anjos - I find this fight annoying. There are a lot of guys at 155, who I feel should have gotten a title shot long ahead of McGregor. This is a pure marketing ploy by UFC and Dana White. My hope is that Rafael dos Anjos puts a fast end to McGregor's mouth and hands him the beating his ego needs. That said, I'm still stunned at how stupid Jose Aldo was. Analysis of McGregor's fighting style, shows he is a quintessential counter-puncher. And Aldo walked right into that left hand like a moron. If Rafael dos Anjos underestimates McGregor or worse does not go into the fight with his head straight, McGregor is going to clean his frickin' clock.

Then thing about McGregor is - he is as confident as the only rooster in the hen house - And it rubs everyone the wrong way and they want to beat him at his own game. - Which is their own cockiness and ego getting in the way. A good fighter would break down McGregor's fights and take a plan of action to move him away from his comfort area and get the job done. Just like Holly Holm took out Rousey, by not playing her game, the person that takes out McGregor will do the same. I'm not sure Rafael dos Anjos will be that guy, given his desire to get it done with striking. A smart guy would employ a bunch of smarter fighters as his coach and think hard about strategy. Also - a smart guy wouldn't play McGregor's mind games, he's excellent and managing the mind game and dos Anjos is not. - Despite my desire to see McGregor lose, I think he becomes the first UFC fighter to hold titles in two divisions, with a third-round finish of dos Anjos by TKO.

-Rob
    I feel exactly the same way on every point you made.

I'll add that I absolutely can't stand McGregor. I will be a very happy guy when someone finally shuts him up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I dont care either way, i just like to eat wings, drink whiskey and watch people get their asses kicked.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List