Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber is introducing a revolver

Remembered a likely suspect and tracked it down. The Olmi.
    http://www.olmiarmi.it/home.php?idp=2&lingua=2

If they went to a hex cylinder instead of old fashioned fluted, it might be a suitable entry.

Site Supporter
    I suppose it's too much to hope they'll introduce it in interesting calibers like 32-20, 32swl, 44special, etc. Bonus points for an excellent DA trigger and good sights. We'll probably get another "also ran" in the form of 357mag or 45acp.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Maybe it's a s&w copy without a lock. There's a lot of folks that say they will buy that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Remembered a likely suspect and tracked it down. The Olmi.
    http://www.olmiarmi.it/home.php?idp=2&lingua=2
    This says it has an aluminum alloy frame and a Lothar Walther barrel. The picture shows sights that you can see. Might be interesting - - - - if it works.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I disagree.

Sure, you're right about the product side. But from the Financial Desk view ,there's plenty of market room for shiny safe ornament revolvers who 90% of the customer base won't fire more then 80 times a year.

Talk about nice margins; Kimber could make them out of zinc and few would notice as long as the finish held up. The profits would more than pay for the warranty claims by the 10% who'd shoot them often enough to see them break.
    Sure. If the aesthetics are nice enough, I could end up with one myself. Big if, though, especially if price is comparable to collectibles.

I think the revolver market is sort of like the motorcycle market. Looks and heritage, plus cool kids club, often counts more then pure performance. Even the performance buyers want decent aesthetics, though.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Gonna be scary to see revolvers get the Cohen treatment
    Wait, is SIG going to start making them, too?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    How good are the Rhinos anyway?
    Wretched pulsating balls of suck and fail.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    This says it has an aluminum alloy frame and a Lothar Walther barrel. The picture shows sights that you can see. Might be interesting - - - - if it works.
    A Spaghetti-Wesson might be accurate as all get out...but then what?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    ...If you want to see a perfect example of lower lug battering, just strip down a new production Kimber with 1,500 or so rounds through it..
    Is the lower barrel lug issue what occasionally results in, what's called, "barrel bump"? I read/heard about this after I get this in my one remaining Kimber. I stone down the flat spots which develop and do it again when they reappear. I don't know enough about how to totally reshape a barrel's lugs. It'd likely be beyond my meager abilities.
    Last edited by L-2; 01-16-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    It is exactly what causes "barrel bump". Repairing it is something I'd do extremely carefully. Coat the feet in sharpie or dykem layout fluid, cycle it a few times. It will wear off where the contact is made. Ideally you want to stone down the spots where you see contact until the slide stop pin moves freely about the radius of the lower lugs without hitching or catching.

MASSIVE FREAKING DISCLAIMER: The above is a hugely simplified explanation. Lower lug shaping/cutting is a delicate task and it must be done perfectly equally on both lugs, otherwise you will introduce more problems than you solve.

Alternatively, I'd probably think about seeing a gunsmith and have a new barrel fit, or fit a barrel with lower lugs already cut to the appropriate dimensions. I've had good luck with the Ed Brown "semi drop in"...meaning you may have to file down the barrel hood, but the lower lugs will not bump. I'm currently evaluating a Kart EZ fit, but there is still test firing to be done to assure it functions correctly.

As far as Kimber...I think they need to consider the fact that they may in fact need to change the slogan to "DeEvolver"
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 01-16-2016 at 09:05 PM.

User Tag List