Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does one REALLY need a dust cover and forward assist?

I have none but casual field use, but have used the forward assist a number of times, and have used my thumb in the cutout of the bolt to close it on earlier Colt SP-1s. I much prefer to have the forward assist than try to close the bolt with the thumb in the cutout method. It was always on chambering the first round, either with the gun dirty, or in the cold. I started leaving one round out of the mag and it helped, but didn't entirely eliminate the need. When shooting, I've hever used or needed it, just chambering the first round to get the bolt completely closed.

I can see the forward assist plunger being a possible hang-up point, but I haven't had it happen. I cant think of a reason not to have a dust cover, but if not sleeping with your gun in the dirt, it probably isn't required. I use them.

These discussions are interesting. Its often said they aren't needed (and I'm not saying they are or not, just making the observation), but nobody mentions that it was standard procedure when chambering the first round in M1 Garands, it was common, if not actually protocol to bump the cocking handle with the heel of the hand. Ive done it a number of times when shooting M1's. One of my guns often wouldn't start the first round out of the clip without the bump, but always ran perfectly once loaded.

From a Gov publication,

To load a clip, hold the rifle and pull the operating rod handle all the way to the rear. Place the clip on top of the follower assembly. Place your thumb on the center of the top round in the clip (fig 56) and press the clip straight down into the receiver until it latches. Remove your hand and allow the bolt to travel forward freely. Note that the operating rod is not held to the rear after fully inserting a loaded clip. In order to chamber the first round, it may be necessary to strike the back of the operating rod handle with the heel of the right hand to fully close and lock the bolt.
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/M1GarandGuide.pdf (page 30)
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-16-2016 at 01:51 PM.

User Tag List