Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does one REALLY need a dust cover and forward assist?

Does one REALLY need a dust cover and forward assist?

Title says it all. Does the average joe really need a dust cover or forward assist for a HD / range / coyote shooting AR? I've come across an M&P 15 Sport for $500 bucks and wondering if it's worth it. One part of me is thinkin why not I hardly use those on the gun I have now. The other part of me is say but you live in AZ there's sand everywhere.

The forward assist is unnecessary. The dust cover is probably important if you are going to really expose it a lot of dust and grit. If you carry it around in a case and store it indoors, then no.

Apparently Colt is taking a page from S&W and introducing the budget priced M4 Expanse without dust cover or forward assist.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I've frequently used my FA with a dirty rifle on reloads to strip the top round.

Does one really need a military based weapon? I'm not being flip, what do you need the gun for? That will answer the question.

You should ask Pat Rogers this question.

It's interesting that they don't show the port side of the gun, and it says it "can be upgraded with a cover and forward assist". I wonder how it's actually configured.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I would buy it and add the dust civer in my parts bin. I want another colt.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Need for light use? Probably not.

I wouldn't personally own an AR without them, though. A mix of habit, military indoctrination, and just 'cuz if not necessarily based on realistic needs for a light use weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Title says it all. Does the average joe really need a dust cover or forward assist for a HD / range / coyote shooting AR? I've come across an M&P 15 Sport for $500 bucks and wondering if it's worth it. One part of me is thinkin why not I hardly use those on the gun I have now. The other part of me is say but you live in AZ there's sand everywhere.
    Nope.

I do use the forward assist on my ARs after I do a chamber check to ensure it's in battery. It wouldn't matter to me if any of my ARs had dust covers.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 01-15-2016 at 10:21 PM.

User Tag List