Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service animals

Service animals

This service animal thing seems to be getting out of hand but maybe I'm just insensitive.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/16/living...rpt/index.html
    #RESIST

Here in Portland, we have a lot of service animals--and not just dogs. There are service snakes, ferrets, rats, whatever. I know a girl who has a service wolf.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I was ok with it until I looked at the pics and saw the dress. It's one thing to put the brides maids into ugly dresses... a nice collar bedazled with Swarovski crystals would have been more tasteful, IMHO.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Last edited by 5pins; 01-17-2016 at 08:55 AM.

A capybara would be a really cool service animal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember when having a animal around for affection and companionship was just called, you know, having a pet.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I remember when having a animal around for affection and companionship was just called, you know, having a pet.
    But, but, but then I can't bring it everywhere and annoy people with it! *cry*

In all seriousness, I have nothing but respect for true service animals that do work. Seeing eye dogs, PTSD dogs, seizure dogs, dogs that assist the handicapped in doing tasks they otherwise couldn't are all worthy of praise and admiration. "Comfort" animals, though, are ridiculous, and letting them be exempt from regulations (or even simple rules of an establishment) that otherwise prohibit bringing them places is just enabling their owners to behave badly.

Site Supporter
    Agreed - it is out of hand. I fly a lot and amazed at the number of "service" animals in the ATL airport.

Sometimes I need to bring my dog to certain restaurants. I like their food, but sometimes it gives me gastrointestinal stress and then I need my dog to comfort me and guard the bathroom, as no one should be in the bathroom when my tummy starts bothering me
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I have a good friend who has a therapy dog to help him with his PTSD. His dog is a Pit/Boxer/Heinz 57 mix, and is named Booger. Booger and his owner do not "wear it on their sleeve", and he's mindful where his takes his dog. It's been a great deal of help having something to care for, and focus on.

Booger can't talk about what goes on in his life, and his owner is just learning to.

That's what a real therapy animal is, not some the pets we've discussed so far.

I think you would all be delighted to give Booger ear scritches, and I know you would be proud to shake his owner's hand.

User Tag List