Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS M2

Walther PPS M2

Ah, the single-stack polymer 9mm. I used to wonder what it's for; then I bought a house in Florida. In steamy SW Florida, standard uniform is a Columbia Tamiami fishing shirt and a pair of light shorts, so a lighter, flatter pistol is easier to manage than my standard P2000 AIWB. I've tried the Shield, the Walther PPS, the Glock 43. The original PPS was too square in the grip, trigger was just OK and I didn't care for the paddle mag release. Today I got the updated PPS, the M2. This pistol is virtually the same size as the Shield, the G43 and the old PPS. It is a few ounces heavier.

Name:  singlestack - 1.jpg
Views: 9212
Size:  46.1 KB

The M2 is nicely rounded through the grip, has a low-profile button-style mag release and an improved trigger. The trigger face is flat, feels like an Apex Glock trigger. I measured it at 6 lbs. I very much like the striker stud which protrudes enough through the endplate when pressure is applied to the trigger to work as a quasi-Gadget:

Name:  singlestack - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 2926
Size:  23.5 KB

With the 6-round mag inserted, the M2 fits as well in the front pants pocket as any of these others. Smacking the pistol while in the pocket did not release the mag.

I shot 150 rounds of 124-147 grain Fed American Eagle, Blazer and Gold Dots at 2" dots today, slow fire, fast fire, no issues. This pistol has the best inherent accuracy of any of the small plastic guns I've fired. The factory sights are very good, but I don't like 3-dot sights and will replace them, although I'll start by Sharpie-ing out the rear dots. I'm sending it off to Tony next week, so holsters should be coming. Looks like a keeper.
    Last edited by SteveB; 01-15-2016 at 04:58 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    How does it compare to the Shield? Considering flipping my shield for the PPS, not sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze, though... Already mostly satisfied with the Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    How does it compare to the Shield? Considering flipping my shield for the PPS, not sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze, though... Already mostly satisfied with the Shield.
    The M2 is more accurate and has a better out-of-the-box trigger than any of the Shields I've shot. I like my Shield, but it needed an Apex kit to improve the trigger. Of course, now it has a great trigger and, for a small pistol, it's accurate enough for me. I like the texture of the M2 grip better than the smooth surface of the Shield. The mag release button is lower profile on the M2, but easy to activate. We're talking small differences here. Because you're "mostly satisfied", you should shoot one before you flip.

I've been scouring Central Florida to try and find one of these to see in real life the last two days. No luck so far.

Could I ask where you picked this up?

Thanks for posting a shooting review. This pistol has really piqued my interest.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-15-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I've been scouring Central Florida to try and find one of these to see in real life the last two days. No luck so far.

Could I ask where you picked this up?

Thanks for posting a shooting review. This pistol has really piqued my interest.
    Bought it off of GB and had it shipped to the LGS:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-P...walther+pps+m2

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Bought it off of GB and had it shipped to the LGS:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-P...walther+pps+m2
    And he paid $70 more than where I bought mine, and sent him the link to!

https://www.kygunco.com/mobile/index.cfm

Sent from my iPad
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I very much like the striker stud which protrudes enough through the endplate when pressure is applied to the trigger to work as a quasi-Gadget:
    Maybe it's angle or foggy memory, but that looks like it sticks out further than I remember on my old PPS. Wonder if they lengthened it slightly to improve its Gadgetasiousness?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Maybe it's angle or foggy memory, but that looks like it sticks out further than I remember on my old PPS. Wonder if they lengthened it slightly to improve its Gadgetasiousness?
    That was my impression as well; it's been awhile since I had my old PPS but this thing seems to stick out further than the old one.

Steve, how grippy is the texture on the frame?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Steve, how grippy is the texture on the frame?
    It's a mild texture, not aggressive.

User Tag List