Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving the reload for gun games

Improving the reload for gun games

Shooting USPSA Production, I get plenty of opportunities to reload in a stage, and arguably a fast reload is a more important USPSA skill than a fast draw. Lately, I have had some real breakthrough developments with my reload, and wanted to share what has been working for me, in case it helps others. This is art more than science, so don't think this is the only way of doing this.

1) Spend some time just looking at the shape of your magazines and magazine well, trying to figure out where the sweet spot is, and if you are off which side you want to favor. For example, with a Glock 17 with a Glockmeister style grip plug, if you are off you want to favor the rear of the mag well, so the grip plug helps get the magazine in. With the CZ Shadow and Sig 229, if you are off, you want to be forward. In contrast, the P2000 has pointy stuff in front that you want to avoid.

2) Use dry fire to improve. I have been using the Anderson dry fire book, with a series of descending par times, using the Burkett practice reload method (where you bring the magazine just to the insertion point of the maxwell).

3) I am placing my support hand index finger over the tip of the top cartridge, and literally trying to stuff my index finger in the magwell.

4) I am keeping the pistol higher and more vertical, which allows me to better track the sights back onto target, and break my post reload shot quicker. I think this one specific thing is helping me most.

My reload skills are still perishable, but using these methods, I have had a draw shoot one, reload one to the A at 7 yards in 1.89 and 1.90, with multiple 1.04-1.05 reloads (open carry, Production rig with Blade Tech pouches). When I screw a reload up, it has been more in the 1.30-1.40 range lately. I am hoping over the next month of dry fire practice to make this more durable. The point of mentioning the times is just to reinforce that there is a lot of low hanging fruit for most game shooters to pick up with their reload.

Timmy note -- I think the draw is a lot more important overall than the reload, so disregard if you are only interested in surviving the food court encounter.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I noticed myself flubbing #3 pretty badly in dry fire lately. I've been curling my finger in anticipation of it getting squished and as a result a lot of my reloads ended up with crooked magazines. Once I hammered that issue out those mofos go straight in now.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Good stuff! I need to try me some of these burka burka reloads. I always thought they were dumb but here recently a few people who are far better shooters than i(you,Gabe, I think taadski too) have been mentioning they do them.
    Last edited by Luke; 01-15-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    i used to wannabe

I find it difficult to insert the mag w/o depressing the muzzle slightly and rolling the gun over a bit to meet the incoming mag. But then I'm working with a single stack gun and no mag funnel.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Good stuff! I need to try me some of these burka burka reloads. I always thought they were dumb but here recently a few people who are far better shooters than i(you,Gabe, I think taadski too) have been mentioning they do them.
    On paper they sound stupid as hell (reloads are so quick in the first place) but they really work to isolate issues. Generally when I blow a reload it's right before inserting the magazine (wrong gun angle, wrong magazine angle, etc). Everything after that is wasted practice time; once you screw up getting the mag to the well you're probably going to have a crappy reload.

Site Supporter
    I point the mag well at the pouches and look the mag in like a gamer fag.

Also, if you shoot single stack like me, a gigantic magwell is available. The timmie in me prefers the Smith and Alexander magwell, but the Techwell is necessary for full gamer fagness in Single Stack. But it's not only untactical, but also ugly

Agreed on seeing better gaming with better reloads.

Also agreed on the draw being more important for timmies.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

A Timmie is just a gamer with reactive targets

Number three seems like a really high grasp on the magazine. If it works for you, go for it with a passion. FWIW, draw, fire (and hit), reload, fire again, in under two seconds with a single stack equipped with an S&A magwell is achievable for most shooters, if it is a serious goal and the shooter puts forth the effort.

I think the key is to be open to figuring out what works for you individually, and then evaluate it with the timer in dry and live fire. It may well change over time.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I agree. And I think draw shoot reload shoot under 2 seconds is INSANELY fast.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List