Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Resigning after 25 years today.

Good luck JodyH.

Good Luck!

Good luck!

God, FLIR used to be so fun. The things we would see with that. I remember looking for bad guys one night and all we found was a momma bear and poppa bear bumping uglies. There was much fanfare and the video went up to the general the next day as part of the evening Intel. He was not amused. A week later we all had classes on what to record, how to record it and how to not curse while recording. The stuff we did then- I'd never make it today. So lame. We'd run those things up on "open house events" to amuse the kids but really we would just kick them all out and start scanning the crowds ourselves! And with today's temperature resolutions, I can't imagine the detail! *note to Jody, don't hire me, I would just use it to watch people or animals and we'd be in court two days later.

Good luck brother! I'd love to have a thread discussing your time in oil. It's been an investment hobby of mine for almost 20 years. I'd love to hear your thoughts and theories as to how we got here and see if they match up to mine. Another thread or PM you?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Hey JodyH,

I don't get on here much due to work and other interests, but I do appreciate your comments and had taken the time to type out some thoughts from a fellow small-businessman (myself) that might be able to help you out in some small way in exchange for all of the thoughts and info you've given to me and others. But then I did something on this laptop and it all disappeared, ne'er to return. Rather than type it all up again, I'll do a cut-and-paste of a reply I made on weldingweb...the thread was about a guy starting his own business and my post had some thoughts about what it was like. I know the middle part doesn't cross over to your situation, but maybe some of the first and last parts would be helpful. When I started out on my own, there were lots of pats on the back and congratulations but no direct advice on what to expect and what to focus on, and that would've been helpful to me. Here's a link to the whole thread just to prove it really exists:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ess&highlight=

And here's a cut-and-paste of my post:

I guess the answers to these questions depend on you. What does a "mobile welding repair company" do, in your mind? Who are your customers? What does the "repair" mean in your description? Are you doing mechanical repairs? Or just repairing cracked and broken welds?

I will tell you this much.

1) I would not go into a partnership, period. If I couldn't hack it on my own and employ my friend, I'd let my friend own the business and I'd be the employee. There are enough blurred lines and question marks when starting a business without ownership and decision-making rights being involved.

2) I have owned SA-200's. They are fine for specialized work that involves just welding. They fall down when you need very much generating capacity, or when you start adding up the fuel bill, or when you start adding up the unnecessary weight for the functionality involved. I have not owned any SA-200's for several years now. I have not missed them.

3) I have owned several Trailblazers, with two of them on my trucks presently. The spectrum of work I do involves onsite ag repair, new equipment assembly, construction equipment repair, one-off equipment modifications and fabrication, and general commercial and industrial equipment fabrication and repair. I have not wished for anything more than the Trailblazers have provided. The TB325 EFI with Excel power that I own is by far my favorite welder. I only keep the older 302 out of stubbornness. Not that it does anything wrong, but I hate to hear that engine screaming just to power a 4.5" grinder or a halogen worklight set. The 325 does all of this at idle, not to mention welds at low RPM's also.

4) As far as truck sizes go...there are days that I get by OK with the F350 with 8' utility bed on it, and there are days that the International doesn't have enough deck space and tool storage area for what I need to carry. I would not consider a 1/2 ton pickup for this job. If that was all I had, I'd sell it and buy an old 1-ton dually to get started with. 2WD or 4WD wouldn't matter near as much as having the weight carrying capacity. Most places that are worth going to, will have the equipment to pull you out (or in) if you get stuck on their property or jobsite. Gas or diesel engine....I went with a gas engine for the F350 and haven't regretted it a bit. Diesels are a status symbol for 95 percent of the people who own them, and status symbols are always more expensive than necessary. It's gotten to the point that when I see somebody driving around in a diesel pickup, I automatically assume they have more money (or debt) than sense, until and unless they prove otherwise.

5) As far as building a custom bed goes, that's up to you. I have modified factory beds to do what I want. I would certainly not go and build something I could just as easily buy. Once you hang your shingle out there, you need to be ready to go to work, not putzing around reinventing the wheel. If you have so little work that you have time to build your bed in daylight hours, you would be better served by using that time to knock on doors in my opinion.

6) Lastly, I feel like what I'm about to say gets beat to death on every thread like this, but it just has to be said. Knowing how to weld or repair equipment is by far the easiest part of owning your own business. Any mechanic or welder can do that, and there are tens if not hundreds of thousands out there doing it every day. Managing your finances, meeting and keeping customers over the long run, learning how to properly estimate a job, learning how to sell your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses (everybody has some of each), getting all the paperwork right including taxes and insurances, etc....those are the hard parts. It can be done, but it is a long row to hoe as they say.

I will have been in business for myself 10 years as of next April, and it has been a wild ride. Only the last two years have seen me noticeably making more right decisions than wrong and beginning to reap some benefits from all of that labor. I guess you could say that I've devoted the best years of my life to the business, and it has come first over almost everything except for my marriage. I haven't worked a standard 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. workday since I can remember. Most weekends are spent on equipment maintenance and paperwork. I don't mean for it to sound all bad, but I do want you to understand that if you own your own business you are always working. Even if you're on vacation with your family, your mind is back home on what has to be done to keep that business afloat and moving ahead. It's difficult if not impossible for me to disconnect from my business, as I expect it is for any business person who really wants to succeed.
    I really do wish you luck, and it sounds like there are at least a few small business owners here who I know would be happy to share advice or just commiseration if and when necessary.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Good luck dude!

It's a wise choice I think. You can always go back to your old style of job if in a couple of years you don't like your situation for whatever reason. But you don't wanna be kicking yourself later down the line for playing it too safe.

Alright I have got to ask. What type of investment would a company have to make in order to spot a CHL holder in a crowd?
    Last edited by CCT125US; 01-18-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Alright I have got to ask. What type of investment would a company have to make in order to spot a CHL holder in a crowd?
    Picking a concealed carrier out of a crowd with IR cameras? It'd be difficult especially if they were wearing loose clothing.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Day one... excellent.
    If the pace of incoming work doesn't slow down it looks like I'll be hiring another tech and investing another $200k into this venture with a month or two.

What's the old saying? "If you owe the bank $10,000 the bank owns you. If you owe the bank $10M you own the bank."
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List