Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC - Do we make a big deal out of nothing?

I only wear the shoot me first vest when @ an IDPA match. Dont like the 5.11's either. I try to blend in as much as possible. I buy my pants @ Walmart and try to buy shirts/jackets that go far enough below my belt to hide any potential flash of a holster. I keep my spare mags/knife/light in a pocket, not clipped.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think the no logo rule is a good one though admittedly it's one I break regularly, putting me in danger from the 1% of 1% of 1% of people who recognize the pistol-training.com logo.

On the other hand, last year I was wearing one of my PTC logos while walking the dog, and a guy on the sidewalk stopped to meet the puppy. We were outside a Starbucks, and the whole "guns in Starbucks" story was still national news at the time. He made some comment about bringing the dog into Starbucks, and when I said that probably wasn't allowed, his response was, "Hell, they'll let you bring guns in there. What kind of guy needs to carry a gun all the time to feel like a real man?" So I very slowly looked down at the bright orange logo on my black shirt, looked back up at his blank unaware face, and said goodbye...
    Was it Freyja? Mals and caffeine are a bad mix.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Was it Freyja? Mals and caffeine are a bad mix.
    Yes. Luckily, she only drinks decaf.

Having been a cop for awhile before tacticool was "in" I dressed the way I wanted. I then spent 15 years working as a full time pro photographer. During those 15 years I LOVED my Bananna Republic and Domke photo vests as well as my BDU khaki trousers. They held so much stuff and allowed me to lug a smaller camera bag around. Even the camera bags were great for general stuff besides cameras. I still have a selection of Domke, Tenba, Lowe Pro and Tamrac bags that I haul either camera or gun gear in. When I returned to LE 10 years ago I continued to wear my comfortable and full of pockets vests and BDU style trousers and found out that now I was tacticool. To this day it is still my preferred manner of dress. I still do the occasional freelance photo job and often am out and about with my son's scout troop. The cargo pockets and vests work great for me. My odest son and daughter in law actually worry when they do NOT see me in my vest.

On one occasion 7 years ago however I was at Universal studios FL and a gentleman walked up to me and asked what agency I worked for. He and I were wearing identical 5.11 vests at the time. In my case that day I was shooting a photo assignment and I was using it as a "photo vest". We still had a good laugh out of it though.

When I get off duty I will be wearing a Fox outdoors photovest and some brown TruTest cargos, and I have no worries about being "made".

Apparently in some states it can cause legal problems for a ccw holder if their gun becomes visible. But that is not the case in Oregon were I live. The only reason I carry concealed is so people don't hassle me over it, or make people nervous. Which means I don't really care if someone notices my gun(though I've never had it happen).

Awhile back in Wall*Mart I took off the hoodie I wore out of the house and had a t-shirt on underneath that left a fairly gun shaped bulge on my hip pretty visible. No one said anything. If they noticed they didn't care, but I don't think they did.

As one of the previous posters said(possibly the OP) most people are just too bound up in their little world. And if someone does notice what does it really hurt? You may get into a social situation, but even that is unlikely.

I wouldn't say it's a big deal out of nothing for everyone, different people in different circumstances have different needs. But for me it would be.

Not sure where this is from originally, but it made me laugh and think of this thread:

I'm anti-tactical.

I actively avoid wearing any gun brands, gun shirts, or anything related to that scene whatsoever.

I go athletic instead. Every sporty Nike or Under Armour shirt I've ever bought has been sized a little big, perfect for covering weaponry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I have been doing some thinking about this topic lately. The "tactical tuxedo" term is descriptive and amusing. I think it has a lot to do with your locale. Here in western PA, having an NRA sticker on your car window is perfectly normal, as is wearing a ballcap and having a folding knife clipped to your front pocket.

However, add in the foliage dark taupe Merrills, 5.11 pocket-covered pants, Wilderness riggers belt, the photog/fisherman/SMF vest, Rudy Project sunglasses and 360 degree velcro for all your morale patches on your hat, and suddenly your profile has increased. Note: I am absolutely in no way bashing any of the brands I just mentioned - it is all excellent gear.

I can do a lot better, and plan to. I'm trying out some different types of clothing now, along with some more discrete bags and packs.
    Very true.....I'm not one to go with the Tuxedo (for the most part anyway). In the first paragraph, minus the NRA sticker, that's pretty much me. Maybe the odd "Got Sig ?" T-Shirt every blue moon. I don't really do the vest thing unless I am fishing (and no knock on folks who do wear em on a regular basis).

So far as other parts of my "tactical ensemble", it's not a whole lot. 9.9 times out of 10, I'm walking out the door with my cell phone, folder clipped to my right front pocket, flashlight on my person somewhere, and a watch on my wrist. Other than a couple of hats and shirts, you'd probably never know I was some self defense/gun wielding/tacticool psycho ......

Anyhow, I do own a few pairs of 5.11 shorts, and a pair of their pants. I wear them the same way I wear jeans or slacks. If they're clean, I'm putting them on. Unless I know I'm going somewhere where I know I'll need the extra pockets (ie going to an amusement park, picnic, out fishing or camping), then I'll specifically have those on deck. I didn't buy them to be "tacticool", I bought em cause they're comfy, durable, and they suit my lifestyle. With that said, they aren't camo, or anything resembling that I'm all "tacticool" (with the exception of the strap near the back pocket for a gun...but I use that for other things too ). Black, blue, or Khaki....and I don't think I've ever had anyone comment on them either.

With that said, I've also got normal "Joe Suburbanite" clothes. I'd say about 95 percent of pants/shorts that I own are just stuff you'd buy at WalMart, Macy's, Kohls etc. I've got some regular pairs of cargo shorts, but I put them in the same area as the 5.11's. And as well, I don't advertise on my ride either. No "Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition" or stuff like that

Every so often, I'll wear my Leatherman Ti Charge on my hip, but again, not many folks think much of it, and don't say anything. And the few that do think I'm some kind of "computer geek" when I've got that on. And at work, where I do have it on always, folks don't think I'm some gun nut. They think then definitely that I'm a "computer geek" because on top of the light and Leatherman, I've got a cell phone, pager, and SpectraLink Phone on the opposite hip.

In short, I look like Nick Burns, your company's computer guy, and not John Rambo .

But to sum it up, I dress more to blend in, and (to quote someone else) "be the gray man" (can't remember who that's attributed to).

Am I knocking anyone who does don the "tactical tuxedo" ??? Hell no. It's your perogative. You've got to do what's best for you. I'm not one to judge
    -Jon
    Pittsburgh, PA

I think wearing a vest and some of the other tac-cool clothing screams NERD! to the average person. But to the insider it screams "I'm carrying".

If you are part of the culture or have been, you recognize others. I'm about a 2 hour drive from Fort Bragg, living in occupied Pineland. I have great fun "making" the SWC instructors and other action guys when they are loading up on pogey bait at the Walmart when a Robin Sage or other exercise is going on.

Around these parts, it's not 5.11 vests, Merrell kicks, and BDUs that are "shoot me first". It's Tall Tees, Airforce Ones, fitted caps, and baggy jeans.

It's very much an environment thing. I'm in the Suburban Detroit Area, so anyone thuggin' stands out. Conversely, I'd probably stick out - more as a victim / target - hanging out on 7 Mile and Runyan Ave.

I know the ninja / mountain climber community is kind of peeved that The Northface is getting too mainstream. Myself, I like that. Now there's good apparel that blends in with the general suburban populace. Same could be said of Under Armour. Love me some UA.

User Tag List