Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC - Do we make a big deal out of nothing?

EDC - Do we make a big deal out of nothing?

Reading through the Liger post below and others on different forums made me wonder if we don't get too wrapped up in ourselves. What I mean by that is, does anyone really notice if you are wearing a Wilderness belt, TAD cargo pants, Merrell shoes, insert your own item, etc.? I really don't think so. I'm not talking about the guy who just stepped off the LA Police Gear website clad in all 5.11 closeouts. Just any one of us. I am out in public everyday, on a college campus a couple of days a week, work a few days a week with groups of people in size from 10-25 (including LEO, Firefighters, etc) and only one person has ever commented on my Wilderness belt. Rarely is my watch noticed and I wore Vertx pants/shorts pretty much all of last year without being made or called out. Todays fashions (watches, belts, pants, etc) are so saturated with stuff and the stuff is so similar that it really isn't a big deal. I was at a 3 yo's birthday party this past weekend and a guy was wearing camo cargo pants. I know the guy fairly well, he is a physical therapist/triathlete, has nothing whatsoever to do with shooting people in the face or posing as such, etc. He bought the pants at Old Navy.

That said, I notice. I notice if you have a Submariner or Seamaster on because I'm sort of a watch guy. I notice if you have on Arcteryx, Patagonia, etc. because I just do. I also notice if you favor a certain side, periodically make adjustments under your shirt, etc. However most others I'm with don't notice anything at all.

Anyway, just food for thought.

I know that suggestions from others have helped me find what fits me comfortably.

My Liger thread was for a specific purpose. I could probably wear my Eotac (Wilderness) belt to work without issue, I have worn a cobra buckle belt and the most anyone said was "that is neat, you kids and your fancy clothes". I seek a belt that will support a gun if need be and does not look like an old man belt. I simply do not like how most "gun leather" companies make their belts look.

To add to what you are talking about though, I like the idea of not having all of my clothes be from Eotac, VERTX, and TAD Gear. While everything most people here do involves "living the gun lifestyle", I don't need to wear it everywhere.

Interesting thing to note, Lowas, Vasques, Keens, and Merrells are pretty for footwear around here (Pittsburgh). The outdoorsey trend has rubbed off and folks are wearing stuff that is a bit more practical. I have a co-worker who wears Merrell boots with North Face, Arc'Teryx, and Columbia clothing. He is an avid hiker and normal guy. He thought my riggers belt was from the mall.

Oils and Lotions SME
    I don't think most people even pay attention to "Shoot Me First" vests, let alone your belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    I don't think most people even pay attention to "Shoot Me First" vests, let alone your belt.
    Vests are "in" with some of the hipsters and outdoor types.

We are diminished
    As someone who was sponsored by Royal Robbins before it became 5.11, then wore 5.11 and SIGtac vests for years, now that I aiwb from untucked polos and such I cannot believe how stupid and obvious I looked walking around town in an IDPA Shoot Me First Vest.

I see people in cargos, Merrells, and fanny packs all the time. I see a 5.11 or similar vest and guaranteed I can find a gun on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I see people in cargos, Merrells, and fanny packs all the time. I see a 5.11 or similar vest and guaranteed I can find a gun on the guy.
    I agree, but the normal person does not know what 5.11 is, or that the guy wearing a 5.11 vest likely has a gun on him. Hell, most people don't even notice you walking around anyway, they are too immersed into their phones. If they would detach for a moment, I doubt they would think twice about a man in multicam pants with a black vest and a pair of M-frames.

We are diminished
    o -- I agree for the most part. But the few times I was outed, it was while wearing a heavy 511-style vest.

It comes down to contrast. Where fanny packs are common, wearing a fanny pack raises no eyebrows. At least around here, the only time you see 511-style vests are on LE, obvious ccw'ers, and at the range.

Wearing a heavy vest in the summer heat also raises a red flag even for folks who don't know anything about guns or ccw. It stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I agree, but the normal person does not know what 5.11 is, or that the guy wearing a 5.11 vest likely has a gun on him.
    They might not know what 5.11 is or what an IDPA vest is but I do think they "stick out" more than regular cargos or a zip up fleece vest and that is enough to draw attention, no matter if they think you have a gun or not. It seems to go against the "gray man" mentality.

Contrary to what I just said ... around here someone in head to camo can often be considered "normal" and that's just sad. I guess it depends on where you live as to what is perceived as "normal".

I have pretty much dumped all my "tactical" looking stuff (5.11 pants, concealed carry shirts, etc.) with the exception of a couple of pair of LAPG tac pants I only wear to classes just for the pockets. I never wear them in public. I normally wear cargos or jeans in "real life". No, I don't see that violating the "train like you carry" mentality as the pockets are just helpful to stow empty mags, pen & paper, and such during class. If the rain holds off I plan to wear jeans in the AFHF class this weekend. We'll see. I am NOT wearing denim in the rain though (30%+ chance).

I do own a shoot me vest for IDPA but don't wear it all the time. I've never once worn it in "real life".

I mostly don't wear tacticool gear because I don't like the way it looks. I'm fortunate in that my default mode of dress outside of work -- jeans, t-shirt, and an unbuttoned overshirt -- works very well for concealed carry.

Last night I was standing outside a restaurant talking with friends when a gentleman walked out wearing business attire and a small fanny pack offset to his strong side. Cases like that make me wonder why they even bother and don't just open carry.

User Tag List