Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tritium Sight(s) for AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Which is ok on a personal rifle. On an issued rifle which will be re-zeroed when re- issued not so much. Removing the post and pin every time you have to re-zero is a PITA.
    The post & pin doesn't have to be removed to be re-zeroed. Just use the tool to fully depress the pin to spin the entire post, then use the tool to depress the top notch, which allows the blade only to spin and be aligned. The post has two sets of notches, one is perm attached to the post, which adjusts zero. The other set of notches is on the blade spinner and allows the blade to be repositioned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    The post & pin doesn't have to be removed to be re-zeroed. Just use the tool to fully depress the pin to spin the entire post, then use the tool to depress the top notch, which allows the blade only to spin and be aligned. The post has two sets of notches, one is perm attached to the post, which adjusts zero. The other set of notches is on the blade spinner and allows the blade to be repositioned.
    We have some which are bottomed out and still wouldn't zero. They zero'ed fine with a standard post. Just did not find then useful.

Tried them. I think they are a waste of money. Save you money for a reflex/reddot.

I guess I don't see the utility for most of us. In self defense and LE use, most I expect will be using a white light prior to taking a shot. The white light will most likely wash out the tritium (or white outline).

Now in a military setting where a person may be able to shoot at figures without need of a white light... I could see tritium being useful. But even then I'm talking about an irons only long gun. I know some squared away folks who apply this principal to their LE pistols. They use all black or gold/brass bead sights for daytime knowing the weapon light will turn their tritium sights into a black silhouette.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I guess I don't see the utility for most of us. In self defense and LE use, most I expect will be using a white light prior to taking a shot. The white light will most likely wash out the tritium (or white outline).

Now in a military setting where a person may be able to shoot at figures without need of a white light... I could see tritium being useful. But even then I'm talking about an irons only long gun. I know some squared away folks who apply this principal to their LE pistols. They use all black or gold/brass bead sights for daytime knowing the weapon light will turn their tritium sights into a black silhouette.
    It would be interesting to know if anyone involved in an OIS has ever mentioned actually using their night sights when discharging their weapon under stress at a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    It would be interesting to know if anyone involved in an OIS has ever mentioned actually using their night sights when discharging their weapon under stress at a threat.
    One of the more famous ones is the Andy Lopez shooting. Frequently cited as an argument for point shooting, Lopez was DPS trooper who came under fire while working an interdiction stop. The portion everyone shows takes place in front of the camera. Lopez draws and shooting one handed moves to the left without hitting anyone. If you watch the whole video, the fight continues. Lopez moves to the back of his car and re-engages the bad guy. In the interview Lopez says (paraphrased) "I saw my night sights glowing and I thought to myself, if I use those I'll hit him and I did."
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

The same argument can be made and pistols with tritium sights. Of course, as a civilian, I have to use light in some capacity to identify the threat. However, if I don't have to use white light to identify the threat, but the transitional light makes it ridiculously hard to see my front sight without tritium or using a white light, then that puts me at a disadvantage. Just because it's a rifle for home defense doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to use it in pitch black conditions.

User Tag List