Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese eating! Beards, fromage and guns

Site Supporter

Cheese eating! Beards, fromage and guns

In another thread, cheese eaters were denounced as not true members of the gun toting tough person paradigm.

Well, today I decided to see if one could exist in both worlds. I received an e-mail newsletter from my favorite cheese store in Austin (Antonellis) touting:

Super Special Cheese
    Right at the end of the year, we introduced two stellar cheeses into the case and - once they're gone, we won't see them again. Well, at least one of them. The first is Glarner Alpkase, a raw cow's milk cheese made in the summer of 2015 and produced high in the Alps by the Tschudi Family on Alp Heuboden. This was our "Adop-an-Alp" cheese, in which we followed the process of transhumance to make it. Just a few herdsmen/cheesemakers prepared the alp, clearing it of debris, walked their cows up the mountain in phases, building makeshift fences along the way, doctored them, milked them, made cheese and aged it, and later helicoptered the cheese off the Alp. Then did the whole thing in reverse. Needless to say, this delicious baby has a lot of labor and love put into it. It was a special treat for us to be asked to participate in the Adopt-an-Alp program and, while we may get the chance to participate again in the future, we most certainly will never get 2015 Glarner Alpkase back. As far as we know, this cheese only made it to one other shop in the country. So come get some while you can. My most recent bite tasted like salted, roasted macademia nuts and had a long, lingering finish that just didn't quit. You want some.
    Thus, I decided to make road trip. To keep up my bearded credentials (beard, a down vest, Glock, knife, light, etc.) I stopped at Cabelas as I had a gift card. It had tons o' guns (high priced) and lots of ammo. No shortage. The card was sufficient to buy a box of SigSauer Elite Performance Sig V-Crown 230 gr 45 ACP JHP. Never shot it, so that will be fun. On to Austin and Book People, and then Antonellis. Well, that was a dose of culture. By the way, Antonellis had a very cute redheaded cheese monger (oh, to be young again). We had a nice discussion of the rules of raw milk cheese. She was quite the SME on fromage. On to GT Distributors, where I used some holiday loot to buy some mags (G42, G26 and G17). They have good prices as compared to any LGS or big store. Had a nice discussion of 9, vs 40, vs 45 with a tall store employee with a beard. Pleasant but it did not stir my heart as did the red head.

The Alpkase is great. We just had some. So cheese eater rejoice. Would I rather work as a gun store employee or an affineur? Guess.

With two part-time jobs being the new normal, why not do both?

You sound deeply conflicted. Except for the redhead vs. bearded guy part.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Did you see Mr. Wensleydale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPN3KTtrnZM

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You sound deeply conflicted. Except for the redhead vs. bearded guy part.
    Speaking from experience, the redhead always wins. Of course, that may be because I like cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Would I rather work as a gun store employee or an affineur? Guess.
    Hah, if it was me, it wouldn't even be a choice. There's no way I could credibly talk cheese. I'd get customers asking which variety I'd recommend and my response would be "I'm not much of a cheese fan, I just work here." I feel like that wouldn't go over well. That's not to say that I'd enjoy being a gun store employee much, either, but at least there, I could give vaguely reasonable responses to questions.

A good cheese without wine is like a Glock with plastic sights. OK, but lacking.....

I'm really screwed because I don't even have a beard...

Damn cheese control laws! I want real Epoisse!

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What thread started this nonsense? I have a beard, and a gun, and I love cheese. I eat it everyday. Redheads are nice too....

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    What thread started this nonsense? I have a beard, and a gun, and I love cheese. I eat it everyday. Redheads are nice too....
    I endorse this message......with one minor tweak......I like redheads because they are more naughty than nice....
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List