Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So new to owning a weapon it is scary

The P30sk is available with a safety per HK website.

http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

Per website:
    – P30SKS 9mm (V3) DA/SA ambidextrous safety lever/rear decocking button w/two 10rd mags 730903KS A5, MSRP $719

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 01-13-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added info
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    The P30sk is available with a safety per HK website.

http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

Per website:
    – P30SKS 9mm (V3) DA/SA ambidextrous safety lever/rear decocking button w/two 10rd mags 730903KS A5, MSRP $719

She said she looked at Another HK which had no safety.

And stated she only wanted a gun with a safety in her home.

AKA: SkyLine1

You can't go wrong with these two books:

Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens. See www.rangemaster.com

Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca.

I have trained with Tom Givens but have not had the opportunity to take his Combative Pistol course yet. As far as I can tell, it is the best class to get someone who has the basics of gun handling down prepared for self defense with a handgun. He and his wife Lynn travel the country teaching so you could check their website for classes.

I would also recommend Claude Werner as an excellent resource. He is based in Atlanta.

Best of luck to you!
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Welcome!

Another site that might be useful is http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

Site Supporter
    Welcome from another fellow Georgian!

Welcome! Another Georgia member here; there are a few of us on here.

Someone up above recommended Claude Werner, and I'd second that. I've taken a class from him at Sandy Springs Gun Club. I know he instructs a lot of female beginners. This is his website, and I think he has some contact info on there as well.

Did you rack (pull back) the slide (top part) at all or did your friend do all of the loading/unloading/handling? Some guns are easier to load and operate than others. For instance the small guns like the Shield can have stiff springs that make it hard to pull the slide back to put a round in the chamber or unload the pistol.
    Last edited by DiscipulusArmorum; 01-13-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kehowell View Post
    I am in good health and a woman older than 65 with a very steady hand. I decided that I needed to prepare for home defense and want to do it the correct way. A friend took me to a range for the 1st time and had me try his HK P30s(?). I took to it like a duck to water. Out of the 15 in the clip, I shot 11. My friend wanted to show me some basics with the 1st 4. My last 6 went right where I wanted them-dead center. The others were clustered in the damage range and all were on the target . All done at 10'. I then tried a Shield(?). I felt like it was controlling me and although I was fairly accurate I did not like the "feel" and texture of the grip. I was trying to find out if that is enough to help me decide. I admit it. I have NEVER picked up a weapon let alone fired one. I was looking for a weapon with a grip & features of the HK.

I will be doing everything "by the book" and have decided to get some outside advice as soon as you all stop laughing. I am expecting my carry permit any day.

I love research so if you can give me specifics I would be grateful.

Thanking you in advance.
    Welcome to PF.com. It's one of the few places in the web where you can get solid information from people who are internationally recognized experts in weapon craft and its related arts. And it's not all the esoteric/weird stuff--people here spend a lot of time on the basics, too.

That said, I'll offer a warning. The only subject that generates more idiocy online than handgun choices is ammunition choices. To help get beyond that, you should probably read this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo It's known here and in other places as "The List" or "Doc GKR's List", and it tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the state of handgun ammunition in 2016.

As for research, spend some time reading through the various forums here. Each poster has his or her own prejudices and style of expression, and learning to recognize them will help you see past our individual limitations and make the choices that are right for you.

Again, welcome.

Okie John

Welcome!

I also suggest reading some of Claude Werners writing, as well as The Cornered Cat site.

Quote Originally Posted by kehowell View Post
    I am in good health and a woman older than 65 with a very steady hand. I decided that I needed to prepare for home defense and want to do it the correct way. A friend took me to a range for the 1st time and had me try his HK P30s(?). I took to it like a duck to water. Out of the 15 in the clip, I shot 11. My friend wanted to show me some basics with the 1st 4. My last 6 went right where I wanted them-dead center. The others were clustered in the damage range and all were on the target . All done at 10'. I then tried a Shield(?). I felt like it was controlling me and although I was fairly accurate I did not like the "feel" and texture of the grip. I was trying to find out if that is enough to help me decide. I admit it. I have NEVER picked up a weapon let alone fired one. I was looking for a weapon with a grip & features of the HK.

I will be doing everything "by the book" and have decided to get some outside advice as soon as you all stop laughing. I am expecting my carry permit any day.

I love research so if you can give me specifics I would be grateful.

Thanking you in advance.
    Well, I don't know that I am qualified to welcome you to the forum since I'm pretty new here myself, but I'm sure glad your here and it's always awesome to see someone join the shooting community! Especially when they are going about it the way in which you indicate is your intention.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Did you rack (pull back) the slide (top part) at all or did your friend do all of the loading/unloading/handling? Some guns are easier to load and operate than others. For instance the small guns like the Shield can have stiff springs that make it hard to pull the slide back to put a round in the chamber or unload the pistol.
    I wanted to quote just this just to make sure you saw it. There are some tricks to help with retracting the slide on a pistol with a really stiff recoil spring, but that is one thing you want to be sure you can do with whatever gun you wind up choosing (if you wind up with a semi-automatic, and there is no reason not to if that is what you want and you can manipulate it reliably). As DiscipulusArmorum points out, some are much harder than others and generally the smaller the gun (and therefore easier to carry), the stiffer those springs tend to be. But also remember that they are at their absolute stiffest when they are brand new and unfired, like you would experience trying out new guns at the gun store. They will break in and become a little easier after a couple hundred rounds, and you can speed that up some by keeping the slide locked back for the first week or so after you buy it.

Another thing to consider if you go the traditional double-action route like the P30 you shot is how hard is the trigger to pull on that first double-action shot. It can be pretty heavy on some guns, and I don't know if your friend let you fire that gun from DA (with the hammer down, and you squeezed the trigger so that the hammer cocked back and then fired) or if the hammer was already cocked back when you got it (which makes it much easier to squeeze the trigger). You just want to be sure if you get a double action that you will be able to squeeze the trigger with the index finger of one hand through that double action pull. Don't worry, there are other action types (striker fired) with very easy trigger pulls, I just wanted to mention that if you were considering a DA gun like that P30 of your friend. And it may not be an issue for you at all, for all I know you can whip me at arm wrestling!

You might check to see if the introductory class you are planning to attend provides pistols for the class to shoot, or if that can be arranged. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting an introductory class under your belt before you purchase a gun. In fact, the more you know ahead of the purchase, the more likely you are to settle on a gun you will be happy with and enjoy practicing with long-term. One possible course of action might be to get the intro class behind you, and then avail yourself of any gun rental opportunities at the local ranges. It sounds like you also are fortunate enough to have some acquainteces who can provide you with opportunities to try out various guns as well.

Another thing to note, and it has been observed repeatedly here, is that you often cannot tell how well you will shoot a particular gun model by how it feels to you just holding it in your hand. Many of us have found we shoot some guns that we really disliked the feel of much better than other guns that we thought felt as though they were custom made for our hands. Much better to put some rounds through one before ruling them out, if it is possible. You mentioned not liking the feel of the Shield which you shot. You might try it again after gaining some more experience and see if your impression of it changes. Of course, if you hate it, you hate it, and that is that. It is important to wind up with a gun you enjoy shooting (and can shoot consistently), so that practicing is not a chore to be endured.

As about anyone here will tell you, once you've been bitten by the bug and already have one gun, you will be sorely tempted to buy this new gun or that one as you read more and learn more because it might be the one that you can shoot like a laser beam, dead on target every time. You will be far further ahead if you instead spend that money on training and practice ammunition and also develop a good dry fire practice habit rather than chasing that mythical "perfect gun". It is rarely the gun that won't shoot straight, it's us!

Sorry for for the book length reply, I get very enthusiastic when I see someone join the shooting ranks! Welcome aboard and ask away, you have been very fortunate to have found this place (as was I), there are very serious and informed people here (myself not included in that lot) who will be happy to help someone willing to learn. And don't be afraid to use the search function, the amount of knowledge already just sitting here ripe for the picking is staggering.

Rick

User Tag List