Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So new to owning a weapon it is scary

Question So new to owning a weapon it is scary

I am in good health and a woman older than 65 with a very steady hand. I decided that I needed to prepare for home defense and want to do it the correct way. A friend took me to a range for the 1st time and had me try his HK P30s(?). I took to it like a duck to water. Out of the 15 in the clip, I shot 11. My friend wanted to show me some basics with the 1st 4. My last 6 went right where I wanted them-dead center. The others were clustered in the damage range and all were on the target . All done at 10'. I then tried a Shield(?). I felt like it was controlling me and although I was fairly accurate I did not like the "feel" and texture of the grip. I was trying to find out if that is enough to help me decide. I admit it. I have NEVER picked up a weapon let alone fired one. I was looking for a weapon with a grip & features of the HK.

I will be doing everything "by the book" and have decided to get some outside advice as soon as you all stop laughing. I am expecting my carry permit any day.

I love research so if you can give me specifics I would be grateful.

Thanking you in advance.

Great stuff! What general vicinity do you live in? I'm confident someone here will know a high quality instructor in almost any vicinity that can play a big part in getting off to a good start.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Welcome! My wife and I are retired, and we just started shooting two years ago.

I have found pistol-forum among the best places to get good solid advice on firearms. There are many experienced and knowledgeable folks here that will share their expertise.

Great to have you aboard.

Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 01-13-2016 at 07:15 PM.

First of all, welcome.

No one here is going to laugh at you.

Ask your questions. You'll get good answers. Serious folk here.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

North GA. A retired CMS was at the range when I was there. He was delighted when he saw the results. He and his wife are instructors. Both are retired military. Think I will start with them for Handgun 101 and go from there. Good?

Congrats and welcome! If you are looking for a pistol similar to the HK you test fired, you might as well check out the HK lineup first.

Notice you are N. GA - mountains?

I was not sure. I looked at another HK but was surprised there was no safety. I don't want a gun in the house without a safety.

Welcome to the forum! You will always find helpful information here.

Site Supporter
    No laughing here. Guns came into my life only a few years ago. I remember those first few rounds being weird and surprising and unnatural. You seem to be on a good path. Ask away.

User Tag List