Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Revenant

The Revenant

It's been man vs nature week at the movies here. First up was "In the Heart of the Sea", which is worth seeing just for the whale scenes. Even if you're not a "Moby Dick" junkie like me, it's worth a trip to the big screen. Next up was "The Revenant", which hammered home that, like the first movie, the story of what these guys had to do to make a living, whether it was whale oil or furs, borders on the unimaginable. After seeing the bear scene in "Revenant", I told GJM that even if the guy had had two .45-70's, he still would have been screwed. Apparently, much of the movie was shot in the Canadian Rockies filming only an hour a day to get the light right; this movie has lots of gorgeous, panoramic shots, another reason to see it on the big screen.

We saw it on Friday and the bear scene gets your attention. I think Tom Hardy stole the film, his character is a hoot.

I can see how the movie has many good qualities. It was shot beautifully and the action scenes are superb. I was very disappointed that they basically threw the mostly non-fiction book out and created their own fictional story. The book was very compelling and a nail biter. The movie story seemed like they tried to over justify the revenge aspect. Plus the motives for the Indians were again "Hollywood" so to speak.
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 01-12-2016 at 09:35 AM.

That Bear Scene was awesome. I did enjoy it quite a bit and its definitely worth the price of admission.
    Still want someone to remake Jeremiah Johnson with a bit more violent action.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    That Bear Scene was awesome. I did enjoy it quite a bit and its definitely worth the price of admission.
    Still want someone to remake Jeremiah Johnson with a bit more violent action.
    I dunno, I kind of like the mellow, understated feel of the original.

Chris

oh I love the original for that reason as well. Last time I had the flu I watched it along with Dick Proenneke's Alone in the Wilderness back to back and was pretty sure I was ready to move my family into the wilderness.

Cant wait to see the movie on a date night. Reading Cache Lake Country right now, at Malamute's suggestion. Good book so far.

My favorite Mountain Man movie is still The Mountain Men, with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

More information about the story:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti..._campaign=0116

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    This is a key quote from that article (good article BTW);

Despite the practical problems of trying to adapt a technically flawed novel to films, the theater-goers will also encounter a few other troubling missteps along the way. This film is based on a novel. A work of fiction. The movie is based on the novel. The disclaimer “Inspired by True Events” is just that, a disclaimer. In 1823 there was a mountain man named Hugh Glass. He got mauled by a bear. It was cold. He lived. End of historical similarities between the film and what really happened.
    In all honesty, I liked the movie despite it's departure from reality.
    Last edited by texasaggie2005; 01-12-2016 at 01:21 PM.

User Tag List