Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Duty holster for a G19 with a Surefire XC1

Quote Originally Posted by frankepc View Post
    I’ve been working the night shift as an LEO for 6-7 years now and I’ve had multiple lights with 500-900 lumen range. For the purposes of searching in open fields and canals they work great but for indoor use and as a pistol light they offer too much light intensity. With anything over 400 lumens I usually end up blinding myself and others as well as killing my night vision. White walls, mirrors, and shiny/reflective surfaces are a bitch. The XC-1 works just fine for me past 25 yards on a pistol. Also when do you think you’ll ever find yourself in a situation where you need to illuminate past 25 yards to make a shot in any situation? Yes it’s true that many defensive situations both in conceal carry as well as officer involved, occur in low light, but that’s low light not no light. The new X300 is a great light but I would much rather put it on a long gun. Also the X300 and similar offering are huge, and although I’m sure tons of people can carry it concealed, I’d rather not.

By the way thanks for the info from Bill Rogers, I guess I’ll be waiting patiently until it comes out.

I don't have any personal experience with the XC-1. I suspect its a perfectly adequate WML for its given purpose. No dog there. My response was spurred specifically by your comment re the X300 series being "useless for pistol work", but it looks like you're backing away from that a bit with your above post.

While some might debate that "more lumens [in and of itself] does not make a better light", I think there's a bit of an old wive's tale factor going on there. I personally find the spill and throw associated with some of the more powerful lights, given good technique and execution, to be quite an advantage across the board; from tight quarter room to room work, to the more obvious extended uses. I typically don't have the luxury of swapping weapon lights around on the fly and I work in a jurisdiction where even some of the indoor environments can include significant distances (read schools, grocery stores, etc...). PID being as crucial a part of the game as it is, I much prefer to have the additional juice.

BTW, on a lighter note, in my experience, cops are some of the absolute WORST offenders when it comes to white light management.

t

I’m in a similar boat in regards to certain situations requiring a high power light, but for those instances I prefer to have a high lumen flashlight in hand rather than on the actual pistol, just my personal preference. I can angle the light without interfering with the muzzle of the gun.
    I had a X300 ultra on my glock 17 for a while but regardless how sound your technique and tactics are the spill and intensity of the light made it very difficult to clear small rooms, things become even more problematic when you have several officers searching together. Even when using good awareness and light discipline you end up blinding yourself and others.
    To each his own, if you find it beneficial to have the ultra on your handgun all the power to you. By the way you are correct although I’m in the largest department in the South east cop culture is almost nonexistent, and other than a few of us that are former military most that enter the academy have never had anything resembling formal firearms training.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Which holster is this? The 7390-832-411? I want to get one for my G19 with a XC1 for my duty belt.

Thanks!

I'm an "all the lumens" kind of guy (especially when it comes to handheld lights)

However, I'm also of the opinion that a pistol mounted light has very limited utility and is a niche bit o' kit.

If you are self blinding during an indoors search with a WML you are doing it wrong. If you are using a pistol mounted light as your primary search tool during an indoor search you are also doing it wrong.

That said, I think the light you are looking at is bright enough to do good work with.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Does anyone AIWB a Glock 19 with an XC1? Your thoughts and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using X whatevers and TLR's for years indoors with no issues whatsoever. I recently switched to an Inforce and that also works well. I even more recently switched to an 800 lumen TLR-2 HL G. It works better, for everything, for me. I'm working on a new holster concept to make it work better for concealed carry.

Light management is kinda like recoil management. It is a learned skill that takes time and practice, usually with good instruction to start you off.

When we have good 1000 lumen pistol light choices, I'll go to that. Then 1200...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have been using X whatevers and TLR's for years indoors with no issues whatsoever. I recently switched to an Inforce and that also works well. I even more recently switched to an 800 lumen TLR-2 HL G. It works better, for everything, for me. I'm working on a new holster concept to make it work better for concealed carry.

Light management is kinda like recoil management. It is a learned skill that takes time and practice, usually with good instruction to start you off.

When we have good 1000 lumen pistol light choices, I'll go to that. Then 1200...:-)
    Can you activate constant on with the xc1 while shooting left handed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Can you activate constant on with the xc1 while shooting left handed?
    Easily. There are two options for that. The contour switch, which works like a DG switch but seems more rugged, or the rocker switch on the back plate.

I prefer the rocker switch across the board, but either is good. You just need to train on it and understand how to use it, for you.

No direct experience with the xc1, wouldn't carry it for duty though.

Tlr1s was my goto and I'd carry with one again in a heart beat. Great little light. Cheap too.

The 7ts holster series is highly recommend. I am running one since they were released and I have Ezero complaints
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm an "all the lumens" kind of guy (especially when it comes to handheld lights)
    I agree with this sentiment. People have this idea that if you go past a certain threshold like say 300 lumens, you're going to be blinding yourself if you point it at something like a white wall which is just not true. I used to believe this until I actually tried to blind myself by pointing it at white walls and around mirrors (reflections of a mirror in your peripheral view give you a visual clue as to where the mirror is). I learned that when practicing clearing a house, "accidentally" flashing yourself for a millisecond with a 500 lumen light at a mirror, your retinas don't catch on fire and make you curl into a ball.

It's in my opinion that you should try to get as much lumens as possible, which is why if I was LE, I would use the high lumen model of the TLR on my duty gun. I might even sell my X300 Ultra for one now that I think of it.

User Tag List