Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: .380 vs pit bull

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    Well, crap. I just reviewed this wikipedia article on coyote attacks on humans. Turns out I live in attack central. Good news: coyotes rarely weigh more than 35 pounds and usually do not pose a mortal threat to adults. Bad news: (1) coyotes are interbreeding with wolves, which may increase the danger they pose; (2) coyotes in areas where humans don't shoot them are becoming less afraid of humans; (3) coyote attacks on children are more likely to cause serious injury than attacks on adults (apparently coyotes will take a test bite on immobile adults to see if they are incapacitated); (4) between 1976 and 2006, there were at least 160 attacks in the United States, mostly in the Los Angeles County area.

My takeaway: coyotes just moved up on my threat radar. On the other hand, there are more than 4 million dog bite incidents and around 20+ fatalities each year. It's always good to put things into perspective.

Coyotes are among the more skittish wildlife that I encounter, and every one I've seen has made itself scarce immediately. They're way down my concern list, way below some other species that I'm also not particularly concerned about. And I'm saying that as a board member of the local chapter of The Wildlife Society. If coyote-human encounters in California were anything other than very rare, I'd know about it.

The key in that wikipedia article is the reference to hybrids. I'm a little skeptical of wolf hybridization in SoCal unless it's happening with captive animals since the only naturally occurring wolves in California at the moment are in the far northeast part of the state, and they've only recently arrived back here. Here's a link to an article, I know the CDFW biologist they quote: http://www.sfgate.com/science/articl...es-3554309.php

There's at least one 1970's rural midwestern report of a pack of "coy-dogs" attacking children. I first heard the story from a biologist in Decatur IL, her credibility is good and I have no reason to doubt her. However the literature indicates that this mix is even less common. At best it was a rare example in a small localized area.

As for pit bulls, this past summer and fall I spent a great deal of time on a project site that has perhaps the highest pit bull density I've ever see outside of an urban area. It's an approximately 750-acre site, overgrown sand dunes and wetlands and 27 miles of roads to nowhere, an old 1960s failed subdivision that was never built. There are a few scattered junky trailers and tents and perhaps 100 "residents," some are cranky old libertarian guys who just want to be left alone and who own the lots they live on even though living there full time is technically illegal; most though are tweakers, head cases, and some clean but down on their luck transients. It's quite a cast of characters, and most of them have dogs, and most of those dogs are pit bulls. One family alone owns seven of them, of which they describe six as nice dogs, and one as mean. I have a full time team of people out there among this craziness, overseeing a construction crew removing some of the roads.

Needless to say, we encounter pit bulls pretty frequently. There's a lot of variation. Some are well trained dogs and well cared for and controlled by their owners. Others roam free and a few are semi-feral. Most keep their distance from us, a few stand way back and bark. Still, there are enough of them out there and enough of those have irresponsible owners that we're very careful. No one works alone, everyone carries spray. As far as I know I'm the only one that is armed, although some of the construction guys might be too. The Sheriff has told us not to count on a quick response, we're 25 minutes from town.

My only close call so far was not a pit bull, it was some big mottled-black mutt about the size of a small pony that might have been part mastiff, it was screened by vegetation and was growling as we came around the corner 30 feet away. Fortunately it held it's ground and we walked by, and I never had to actually draw.

We have one more year out there, April to December. It's going to be interesting.
    Last edited by Salamander; 01-15-2016 at 12:40 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Yeah, they're bold enough to attack a dog by itself (especially small dogs) but not people. They keep trying to lure my friend's lab mix out past their tree line so they can get to the chickens. You can see their eyes in the pack semicircle/ambush formation when shining a light out there. Sneaky bastards.
    They are more likely trying to lure your friends dog out by showing one and once the dog goes out after the one alone, four or five will kill and eat him.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f40_1342118984
    Last edited by HCM; 01-15-2016 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They are more likely trying to lure your friends dog out by showing one and once the dog goes out after the one alone, four or five will kill and eat him.

I know this, I read the right books growing up
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Absolutely. If you can take out the first one quickly, sometimes they'll send a second to investigate and you can get a twofer [emoji6].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
    This ^^^^^ is how it's done, people. YOU control the dog, not the other way around.
    Much wisdom here

One of the very last things I would ever want to do is shoot a dog, any dog, but the VERY LAST thing I want to do is spend the rest of my life regretting that I didn't. My kids come before before any dog, and I don't fault anyone for feeling the same.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to think my 75lbs happy-go-lucky golden retriever wanted to do anything other than lick you to death, but if he rushed at someone else in their yard, with their kids, whatever happens to him is on me. I'm sure I'd be upset, highly upset, but people are going to err on the side of caution, and I cannot blame them. That being said, we know the dogs in our rural(ish these days) neighborhood, and often grab the escapees and take them home or call the family while we play with them.

I've ran through the dog attack scenario many times in my head in hopes of being able to react quicker having some semblance of a plan and prevent shooting a dog if at all possible. I simply look to put myself between the dog and my loved one(s), get big, get loud, and get scary. If that doesn't deter the aggressor, I'll present my left arm for the bite, at which point I would look to dispatch the dog. I'm sure Mr. Murphy will have his say, he always does, but much like sitting down at a new restaurant for the first time, I feel it's best to locate exits and have a plan(s) as to avoid vaporlock trying to figure out step 1 if something goes south.

Our dog is only a threat to your funny bone, and maybe a slobber stain or two on your boots.

Last edited by StraitR; 01-15-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Our dog is only a threat to your funny bone, and maybe a slobber stain or two on your boots.
    You know how I can tell your dog is a total jerk? He stole my wife's sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    You know how I can tell your dog is a total jerk? He stole my wife's sunglasses.
    Can't blame him, with all the itchy trigger fingers out there. Oakley's are great for dogs since they're ballistic, and the helmet has been upgraded to a Ops-Core FAST Maritime, just in case he get's out of the yard.

The poor pit pup would have faired much better with the same approach to PPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    My gut feeling is that a coyote will not attack a human, or a dog with a human, under most circumstances. They're bold, but not that bold.

Feral dogs may be another matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, coyotes aren't that bad.
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...aylor-mitchell

Very, very rare but it does happen. I watched a show on NatGeo about this incident and they later killed the coyotes that killed the young lady and their DNA revealed they had cross bred with wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...aylor-mitchell

Very, very rare but it does happen. I watched a show on NatGeo about this incident and they later killed the coyotes that killed the young lady and their DNA revealed they had cross bred with wolves.
    There's statistical outliers for everything.
    #RESIST

User Tag List