Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 vs pit bull

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Be damned sure the shot needs to happen.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...work/70406706/
    Are you trying to make a point from this and relate it to the thread and/or your previous comments?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Are you trying to make a point from this and relate it to the thread and/or your previous comments?
    Yes.
    #RESIST

Yes.
    Well, can you explain it a little more?

From the article, all I see is an officer who rightly discharged his firearm when attacked and in danger of greivous bodily harm.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, can you explain it a little more?

From the article, all I see is an officer who rightly discharged his firearm when attacked and in danger of greivous bodily harm.
    I'm not judging, I'm saying for those that might feel they can draw down upon and shoot any animal that they feel are threatening them, they should make "damned sure" they are actually being threatened, that the shot needs to happen, and that the bystanders are clear.

Many of us have done the drill simulating shooting at a charging dog. Not so easy.

Not to mention that in today's world of social media, you can be hashtagged, vilified, and destroyed even if you felt threatened.

Case in point. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the guy lost his LE job as a result.

Just because you can does not mean you should. I'm trying to advise folks to think about surviving the aftermath of a weapons discharge.

Also, I've shot dogs that were attacking livestock. My brother dispatched a pit in Wyoming that was locked onto a little girl. My dad killed his own dog with a hammer (one hit) a few seconds after it bit a guy unprovoked. The day my wife's Chow/Lab mix snapped at and missed my daughter was the dog's last day alive.

Personal note: shooting a colt was way harder than shooting a dog.
    #RESIST

I'm not judging, I'm saying for those that might feel they can draw down upon and shoot any animal that they feel are threatening them, they should make "damned sure" they are actually being threatened, that the shot needs to happen, and that the bystanders are clear.

Many of us have done the drill simulating shooting at a charging dog. Not so easy.

Not to mention that in today's world of social media, you can be hashtagged, vilified, and destroyed even if you felt threatened.

Case in point. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the guy lost his LE job as a result.

Just because you can does not mean you should. I'm trying to advise folks to think about surviving the aftermath of a weapons discharge.

Also, I've shot dogs that were attacking livestock. My brother dispatched a pit in Wyoming that was locked onto a little girl. My dad killed his own dog with a hammer (one hit) a few seconds after it bit a guy unprovoked. The day my wife's Chow/Lab mix snapped at and missed my daughter was the dog's last day alive.

Personal note: shooting a colt was way harder than shooting a dog.
    In the incident you mentioned, the officer slipped as he discharged the first shot, then squeezed off the second (the shot which killed Autumn Steele) on his way down. The officer was bitten by the dog, so I'd say the threat the dog posed was credible. Not to mention the dog in question was a GSD. I don't think I need to expound upon the damage one of them can do.

The deceased and some of her family hails from the area I reside, and her mother has become a huge critic of law enforcement since this incident.

.380 vs pit bull

My wife asked me this question the other day, thought I would ask it here.

We walk our Mini-Schnauzer several times a day.

We live in greater urban Clearwater / Largo, about a mile from the water, near a stream to Tampa Bay.

The other day, driving, we spotted what we are pretty sure was the coyote our neighbors told us frequented the area.

Any thoughts on wild dogs vis a vis say pits attacking you / your own dog?

I told my wife I'd probably scoop up our dog (14 lbs) and try and get away.

Not sure I'd want to try to shoot a fast mover in an urban setting while controlling a mini-Schnauzer who likely would be going nuts at this point.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-13-2016 at 10:18 AM.

My gut feeling is that a coyote will not attack a human, or a dog with a human, under most circumstances. They're bold, but not that bold.

Feral dogs may be another matter.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    My gut feeling is that a coyote will not attack a human, or a dog with a human, under most circumstances. They're bold, but not that bold.

Yeah, coyotes aren't that bad.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post

Yeah, they're bold enough to attack a dog by itself (especially small dogs) but not people. They keep trying to lure my friend's lab mix out past their tree line so they can get to the chickens. You can see their eyes in the pack semicircle/ambush formation when shining a light out there. Sneaky bastards.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 01-13-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    My wife asked me this question the other day, thought I would ask it here.

We walk our Mini-Schnauzer several times a day.

We live in greater urban Clearwater / Largo, about a mile from the water, near a stream to Tampa Bay.

The other day, driving, we spotted what we are pretty sure was the coyote our neighbors told us frequented the area.

Any thoughts on wild dogs vis a vis say pits attacking you / your own dog?

I told my wife I'd probably scoop up our dog (14 lbs) and try and get away.

Not sure I'd want to try to shoot a fast mover in an urban setting while controlling a mini-Schnauzer who likely would be going nuts at this point.
    Well, crap. I just reviewed this wikipedia article on coyote attacks on humans. Turns out I live in attack central. Good news: coyotes rarely weigh more than 35 pounds and usually do not pose a mortal threat to adults. Bad news: (1) coyotes are interbreeding with wolves, which may increase the danger they pose; (2) coyotes in areas where humans don't shoot them are becoming less afraid of humans; (3) coyote attacks on children are more likely to cause serious injury than attacks on adults (apparently coyotes will take a test bite on immobile adults to see if they are incapacitated); (4) between 1976 and 2006, there were at least 160 attacks in the United States, mostly in the Los Angeles County area.

My takeaway: coyotes just moved up on my threat radar. On the other hand, there are more than 4 million dog bite incidents and around 20+ fatalities each year. It's always good to put things into perspective.

User Tag List