Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 vs pit bull

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I reached that conclusion based of the comment of him seemingly wanting to try out his gun. I have no problem shooting a dog as a last resort but it's not my first move.

Fox Labs OC works really well in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Because most people, especially people who want to shoot dogs, are stupid fucks.
    Don't necessarily disagree.

However, in this instance, the bright-line distinction is where the incident took place.

As a dog owner, who's dog speaks German (no, his commands are in English), I am intimately aware that it is my responsibility to keep my dog from causing mischief. Luckily, the 3 times he's gotten away from us (we live in a condo) he's a) ended up panting and wagging his tail waiting for me by the front stoop (15 minutes later), b) gone on a wild chase and killed something along the river and came back with a Rambo smile to my fiance and c) ended up on a busy street (luckily it was daylight) and two older women fell in love with him and called my cell on his collar.

Again, as I've stated before and IANADVM/AB*, most dog problems are human instigated by leashes and dogs sensing the fear/anxiety of their owners. Most human problems involving shooting dogs are more of a human problem than dog problem.

Good luck and god speed on the dog and thanks for sharing doc.

(I Am Not A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine/Animal Behavioralist)
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Why are you assuming the OP has more info?
    Because he lives there, spoke to the dog owner in person, and then made a reasoned statement.

With regards to the rest of your statement, you're making a quick generalization that is WRONG. I'll always choose humans over dogs and I've nearly had to draw a few times on dogs. However, I think there's a rash of people too willing to shoot at a dog.

I don't see these things in black and white, either way.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 01-11-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    #RESIST

I was never wanting to shoot a dog until one tore into my arm. (covered in detail in another thread). It changed my mind. Once 100lbs is locked onto you and shaking, there is really nothing you can do. And the speed at which a dog can close distance and bite is amazing (Tueller drill with teeth instead of blades). Some breeds are more docile than others, obviously.

I think 100% of dog owners would say their dog would never bite anyone and that the dog is a huge lover. At home I am sure that is 100% true. That dog would never hurt you and your family, its pack. A stranger is a whole other matter... You just don't know.

Still, I would probably hesitate to shoot a dog, even though I NEVER want to be on the receiving end of a bite again.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 01-11-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: poor spelling, lack of quality education.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I wouldn't want to shoot a god either, that's just asking for some heavy divine wrath type stuff.

/endsmartasscomment
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I started this thread more to show that it can be difficult to get a successful CNS shot on a moving thick skulled dog than to debate whether he should have been shot in the first place. I didn't want to go into all the details because it was filled with the usual out in the country drama that accompanies most of these situations. My take on the injuries (and other dogs I've seen with gunshot wounds) is that round nosed fmj bullets not moving very fast tend to deflect off of hard objects if not hit perpendicularly. In this case it was the mandible. The shooter told the owner he had shot him with a .380, I'm making an educated guess it was FMJ because of the lack of any bullet fragments in any of the wound tracts. It could have been a hollow point that failed to expand, but those usual leave metal fragments where they hit bone. Dog will be fine by the way. The eye looked much better by morning. The owner isn't going to pursue the matter with animal control which also makes me think there is more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    There are a lot of keyboard warriors looking to get their gun off that see other people's dogs as safe targets. This is why when I walk my pit I have to keep him on a tight lead, because I don't trust other people to be able to differentiate "lunging toward you to give you loves" between "lunging toward you to kill you."

Because most people, especially people who want to shoot dogs, are stupid fucks.
    So long as the owner has control of the dog, whether via a fence or a leash, I don't see an issue even with growling or lunging. I'm happy to keep me and mine just beyond the limits of said control.

It's when the animal is beyond that control and acting aggressively that the equation changes. and if I'm with my two small children I don't have time to sit and figure out if the (now illegal, BTW) dog who is rushing them just wants to play or is intending something different, nor do I plan to sit around to see if the former turns into the latter.

you are dead on re: people being stupid fucks. Those people include, among others, those that walk their dogs off-property and out of designated areas without leashes, people that have a fence and a dog but leave the gate open, that have a fence in such poor repair that it might as well not exist, etc. and expect for the dog to always return to them in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's mighty neighborly of you.
    It's this kind of double standard that I find odd. It's considered un-neighborly of me to shoot your dog, but it's just peaches and cream for you to let your dog out to roam the neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    The owner isn't going to pursue the matter with animal control which also makes me think there is more to the story.
    Works for me.
    #RESIST

User Tag List