Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: .380 vs pit bull

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've had to shoot one pitbull while out jogging. I also learned about running with headphones in, as I was unaware of him running up behind me until the instant before he bit me on the forearm. I shot him once in the chest with a PDX-1 .38. He broke off and laid down, but did survive.

A zone partner shot one that had torn up two people and got it in the head with a Federal bonded .40. It rode the skull and lodged under the opposite side ear. The dog broke off but also survived.

Finally, I shot one on duty with a plated 12g buckshot. It was sick and literally foaming at the mouth, animal control requested I shoot it as they could not safely capture it after trying. I shot it through the chest, it fell over and laid there, but then got up and ran under a car. It did not survive, but still took longer to die than I would have thought.

I've had 3 pit bulls over the years, they are fine pets when they are well taken care of. When they go bad, though, they are very difficult to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm referring to the parts where he said the dog was friendly and this bit below as it seems that the OP has more info than the rest of us.
    It means nothing what one perceives the dog of in regards to friendliness, dogs are literally domesticated wolves... they have been known to act aggressively and attack without warning no matter what breed.

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    dogs are literally domesticated wolves
    The first domesticated dogs were, but that's thousands of years in the past. Selective breeding has changed dogs so they wouldn't recognize their ancestors, which are unrelated to modern wolves. Because: biology and genetics.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2...attack_th.html

Old news, but a nightmare scenario. Pack of dogs escape pen, kill two people. What the article doesn't mention. Owner was out of town and rumor is dogs hadn't been feed for days. Both victims had been partially eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Just like new members have been known to show up, start posting in old threads, and cherrypicking parts of the discussion out of context to a make a "point".

Perhaps before replying to a 18 month old post, we should ask ourselves if we're adding value to the discussion or just pumping up our post count. Value add is good. High post count, not so much.

I'm pretty sure every member on PF has been around enough dogs to know that they are animals and when they should (and should not) be wary of them, but thanks for the warning.
    Your right, post count means so much to me... forgive me for not looking at how old the thread was. Someone was right about the moderators around here I read not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The first domesticated dogs were, but that's thousands of years in the past. Selective breeding has changed dogs so they wouldn't recognize their ancestors, which are unrelated to modern wolves. Because: biology and genetics.
    Genetically, they are still wolves deep down... just look at the hardware they all possess.
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 08-06-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Would you care to clarify? At first blush your post comes across in a not terribly positive light.
    You don't wanna know...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've had to shoot one pitbull while out jogging. I also learned about running with headphones in, as I was unaware of him running up behind me until the instant before he bit me on the forearm. I shot him once in the chest with a PDX-1 .38. He broke off and laid down, but did survive.

A zone partner shot one that had torn up two people and got it in the head with a Federal bonded .40. It rode the skull and lodged under the opposite side ear. The dog broke off but also survived.

Finally, I shot one on duty with a plated 12g buckshot. It was sick and literally foaming at the mouth, animal control requested I shoot it as they could not safely capture it after trying. I shot it through the chest, it fell over and laid there, but then got up and ran under a car. It did not survive, but still took longer to die than I would have thought.

I've had 3 pit bulls over the years, they are fine pets when they are well taken care of. When they go bad, though, they are very difficult to kill.
    That's a fairly sobering collection of anecdote. To be fair, I am familiar with a case local to me where a drunk dude got shot square in the head with bonded .40 (180gr GDHP) and the same thing happened, but still: not so sure I'd want to rely on any handgun round against some of the stockier breeds.

I'll muse aloud that we discuss the concept of psychological stops vs physiological stops with regards to humans, and the former may well be the higher priority with power breed dogs. Impact weapons seem to have a more reasonable track record in this regard, when wielded by able-bodied people. I've mentioned it here before: the one time that I've had to lay out a charging dog, I used nunchaku, because that's what I had at hand. It's astounding how much energy a 12" piece of rock maple at the end of some cord and another stick can produce. The dog eventually found footing and ran off to live a presumably long life, but that was the end of all charging off the porch at strangers down the street.

I work with someone related to the victim in this article:
    http://www.citywatchla.com/index.php...ow-an-epidemic
    The owner of the dogs opposed euthanasia. As indicated in the article, one of the owners watched the attack and did nothing until another witness told the owner to intervene.

How many are Am Staffs or Staff Bulls or Bull Terriers or, or, or... who knows. However, for OUR purposes (defending one's life) it really doesn't matter.

Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List