Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 vs pit bull

.380 vs pit bull

Funny how we were just talking about this. The story is that the owners pit bull got out of the yard and lunged at the neighbor, who shot at him 5 or 6 times with a .380. The dog presented to me about 30 minutes later ambulatory, alert, non painful with his left eye, conjunctiva, and eyelids swollen, bruised and bleeding. Upon further examination there was an entry wound through the upper eyelid, an exit wound below his left ear, and a grazing wound in front of his left shoulder. The globe and cornea were intact but the front part of the eye was filled with blood, most likely from the force of the bullet passing through the lid a few mm away. The bullet entered the cheek, struck the jaw cracking it, an exited the neck. No lead or jacket fragments on X-rays, so I'm assuming fmj or tmj most likely.
    The moral of the story is that pit bull heads are mostly muscle and bone, and it is harder than you think to get a CNS hit when the brain is tiny and only about 1/4 of the head. Remember I only see the lucky ones. The radiograph is taken pointing down towards the top of the head. The small oval shaped thing towards the bottom is where the brain is, the rest is muscle and bone.

Glad the dog is going to be okay.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

He may lose his eye but will otherwise be fine. Nice friendly dog. It sounds like the neighbor got a new gat for Christmas and was itching to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    He may lose his eye but will otherwise be fine. Nice friendly dog. It sounds like the neighbor got a new gat for Christmas and was itching to try it out.
    I'm very sorry to hear of this. People seem to be increasingly panicky over dogs coming towards them.

Thank for taking care of this pooch and for sharing with us.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear of this. People seem to be increasingly panicky over dogs coming towards them.

Thank for taking care of this pooch and for sharing with us.
    I had to use my flash light the other day for this reason... guy was about to hit my dog with a shovel despite him being on my property... My dog wasn't even barking, just going to see him. Glad the dog will recover, hopefully the person is charged.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    . Glad the dog will recover, hopefully the person is charged.
    +1.....Thank you drjay, please keep us updated if the shooter is charged.

Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    ... The story is that the owners pit bull got out of the yard ...
    I am a dog owner myself. He is the friendliest and most submissive pup you will probably ever meet.

Having said that, if he were to leave my property and approach someone who ended up shooting him, the blame would be all mine.

I understand mistakes happen, hell I have made many myself, but the responsibility here ultimately lies with the dog owner for not having control of his dog.

I also wish the dog a speedy recovery, but can't see how the shooter should be charged for anything in this particular instance.

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post

I also wish the dog a speedy recovery, but can't see how the shooter should be charged for anything in this particular instance.
    No one here has called for that EDIT, wrong on my part.

Personally I feel that the shooter was probably in the wrong given the report from the OP.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 01-11-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Personally I feel that the shooter was probably in the wrong given the report from the OP.
    Given that the only info I can see about the incident is:

"The story is that the owners pit bull got out of the yard and lunged at the neighbor, who shot at him 5 or 6 times with a .380."

...I'm not sure how you can reach that conclusion. IMO, there's not enough info to make a judgment either way.

Still, I'm glad the pooch is going to live. Hopefully the needed lessons get learned regardless.
    Last edited by MichaelD; 01-11-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Given that the only info I can see about the incident is:

"The story is that the owners pit bull got out of the yard and lunged at the neighbor, who shot at him 5 or 6 times with a .380."

...I'm not sure how you can reach that conclusion. IMO, there's not enough info to make a judgment either way.

Still, I'm glad the pooch is going to live. Hopefully the needed lessons get learned regardless.
    I'm referring to the parts where he said the dog was friendly and this bit below as it seems that the OP has more info than the rest of us.

It sounds like the neighbor got a new gat for Christmas and was itching to try it out.
    #RESIST

User Tag List