Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical" headwear

I just wear ballcaps occasionally as I am a hobbyist. A free Vertx hat included with an order of pants from the same is most comfortable hat I own.
    #RESIST

^^^ Thanks LL!

I clicked the Amazon link, and tangentially stumbled on the perfect tactical patch for my tactical hat, if I ever get one.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 329
Size:  44.7 KB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0108PS07G?psc=1

Last edited by RJ; 01-11-2016 at 09:34 AM.

For training and running, I wear a merino wool beanie if it's cold outside with a Sitka ball cap over it to keep the sun out of my eyes if I'm shooting. The Sitka cap is my standalone headgear when it's hot outside because it dries quick and keeps my head cool. Those two pieces of headgear are chosen more for temperature control, not for "tactical" reasons.
    Last edited by FOG; 01-11-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Goddamn, I forgot I had that same problem! I "won" one at some training class or other and wore it around the house when working one weekend only to have the whole thing turn some nasty shade of gross so I washed it (to no avail) and tossed it.
    My black BAC turned purple from sweat. Was not cool.

I used to wear ballcaps all the time, but these days I almost never do; just got out of the habit of it, since it seemed like one more thing to keep track of. IIRC, when I took AFHF, during dinner Todd spoke about how wearing a ballcap can help with bone conduction a bit when it comes to hearing protection.

Site Supporter
    After years of forced "tactical" attire in the military, I try to avoid it now whenever possible, including hats. This is how I rolled in a Hackathorn class a few years ago:

Site Supporter
    TX sun - cancer - always wear a ball cap. On the very few cold days - a Columbia knit wool hat. For dress and cold, got a nice Irish wool fedora style.

Always shoot in a cap - I've had rounds bounce on the noggin, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Tactical headgear usually involves something heavy, some form of ballistic protection and a chin strap.

Hence the quotation marks in my title line.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I did until they all went straight to shit when they got some sweat on them. I asked in email if there was something strange and what I could do to prevent them from turning purple and they just told me it looks cooler that way.

I pretty much don't wear a hat shooting anymore. I've been hit with fragments while wearing a hat anyway so I'm not sure if the benefit.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    See a nicely rolled ball cap brim and my excessive turtling and my eyes are pretty much safe from being pelted with BTF.

Even after I tossed out a bunch I must have a dozen or two ball caps. A couple of favorites are the Noveske and Larue; partly because of their excessive sweat stains from a lot of use in Georgia heat.

I must have almost as many watch caps, beanies and other warm hats. Got a coyote fur hat. Light wool fedora. Seattle Sombrero by OR as noted above makes one helluva head umbrella. Bull rider hat, straw "cowboy" hats.

I like hats.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-11-2016 at 11:22 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A cap with a neck/ear flap can help keep insects off the back of your neck. Works surprisingly well with deerflies and helps a bit with mosquitos.

Baseball cap I got for free. It has a BCM logo on it so that makes it totes tactical.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List