Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical" headwear

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I'll wear one in the winter. Sometimes when I play golf. That's about it. Nothing "tactical".
    I disagree. I wear a warm hat when its cold, a billed cap at the range, and occasionally a hat with a bill and a havelock when it's sunny. (My wife hates that cap...)

IOW, for me, all hats are "tactical."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I like the Brownie.
    Name:  Brownie.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  10.3 KB

In the rain, I like the wide-brim "Seattle sombrero". Much easier to see and hear than having a hood up.

In the sun, usually a cap with a bill and ear/neck flap. Looks goofy, but when there's malignant skin cancer on both sides of the family fashion takes second place.

In the cold, knit or fleece, layering a thin balaclava under if needed. Some of the "windblocker" fleeces can affect hearing when worn over the ears.

"Tactical" is not something I think about when choosing hats.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I would go with a basic ball cap... Hill people gear makes a good hat that I would have no problem wearing. I see a lot of people wear tactical hats with velcro, I usually assume they are service members, vets, or ccw. Easy way to be made or targeted.
    ^^^ This.

I do not own anything in camo, for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post

I should add because I wasn't clear in the OP. I am not looking for hats that are more tactical than others, but rather if anyone thinks it is a reasonable action to wear a hat when you normally aren't a hat person solely for its tactical/practical application.
    I have a "Filet and Release" ball cap I use at the range. I use it to help keep brass off my face. I converted it to tactical use by prying off the cloth covered steel grommet at the beenie top with pliers. It fits flat under my ear pro now, but it is still stealthy enough to go to WalMart.

When we are on the road in the RV, I always bring my Tilley.

http://www.amazon.com/Tilley-Endurab...ey+air+flo+hat

It has a wide brim, floats, is fairly non descript and has a very effective corded harness/chin strap I use in high winds. Its only problem is usually I'm mistaken for a Canadian if I wear it here in Florida in the winter.

If I'm headed into cold weather on a trip, I always have an inexpensive knitted cap of some kind for warmth.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-11-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Tactical headwear, you say?

Brimmed/boonie of some sort to protect the ears and melon from sun, beanie for warmth, ball cap for whatever local sports teams are around for range and casual. Some of the tech fabric hats from Kuhl, Patagonia, etc are GTG, pack smaller, dry quick.

Hats can deflect or attract a lot of attention. Handy tools.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-11-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

"Tactical" headwear

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Arcteryx bac
    I did until they all went straight to shit when they got some sweat on them. I asked in email if there was something strange and what I could do to prevent them from turning purple and they just told me it looks cooler that way.

I pretty much don't wear a hat shooting anymore. I've been hit with fragments while wearing a hat anyway so I'm not sure if the benefit.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Last edited by orionz06; 01-11-2016 at 08:34 AM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I wear a "ball cap" almost non-stop when not working. I was raised in the South, however, and I take it off indoors, especially when talking to people (for example, it stays on in Home Depot or the grocery store but comes off if I'm asking an employee for help or checking out). It doesn't even cross my mind that I'm doing it, but I notice more and more how few other people do it. I've damn near started fights at sporting events with the number of supposedly "patriotic" people that can't be bothered to take their goddamn hat off for the National Anthem.

My current favorite is one I got in Joshua Tree in 2014. I refuse to wear anything shooting related (or tangentially, like TAD or arctardix), not because I think some attacker is going to see it, recognize it, and do me in first because of it, but because I generally do not like talking to "gun people" out and about. That goes for just about any hat with velcro on it, especially on the front or as a replacement for the top button. If there's any chance someone might think it has any connection to shooting, the military, law enforcement, etc. I don't wear it because I don't want that interaction.

At the beach, or in the pool, I have a wide-brimmed Outdoor Research hat to help keep more of the sun off. I actually have two of the same hat, one for home and one that stays in the truck.

It rarely is an issue where I live, but I also have a UA beanie for cold weather. It's synthetic because wool makes me itch and turns my whole head red.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I did until they all went straight to shit when they got some sweat on them. I asked in email if there was something strange and what I could do to prevent them from turning purple and they just told me it looks cooler that way.
    Goddamn, I forgot I had that same problem! I "won" one at some training class or other and wore it around the house when working one weekend only to have the whole thing turn some nasty shade of gross so I washed it (to no avail) and tossed it.

How can I be expected to operate in the asymetrical battlespace without tactical headgear?

Living in Florida sun is more of a concern than the asymetrical battlespace.
    This is as gay as it gets, but melanoma is no joke. http://www.sundayafternoons.com/men/adventure-hat.html
    Or if you prefer the Beau Geste-Hemingway-esque look, this works better with earpro. http://www.basspro.com/Glacier-Glove...roduct/100728/

I leave a ballcap I got for free at some fishing promo in my truck for rainy days. It serves to keep me from having to wipe my glasses all the time.

Other than those conditions I never wear hat.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Tactical headgear usually involves something heavy, some form of ballistic protection and a chin strap.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List