Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical" headwear

"Tactical" headwear

My apologies if this has already been covered, I did do a search.

Do most hear wear some type of hat when outside regularly? I have never been a hat guy. I wear one to the range because a lot of reasons. Helps keep rain, brass, sun, and snow out of my face among other advantages. So why don't I wear one at all times outside for the same reason's? Like most of you I run scenarios while maintaining SA while out and about. Many times I have noticed that certain directions would be a problem if trouble came from them due to environmental circumstances. Any thoughts?

I've been pretty pleased with Tactical Tailor's Operator caps. They're well made, decently adjustable, and with a solid polymer adjustment buckle.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/tactic...eratorcap.aspx

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-10-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Semi-regularly...if it's really wet, or really sunny, I am usually wearing a cowboy hat.

If the place I live gets so crazy that wearing a hat is going to make a major impact on my survivability, I'm moving.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I would go with a basic ball cap... Hill people gear makes a good hat that I would have no problem wearing. I see a lot of people wear tactical hats with velcro, I usually assume they are service members, vets, or ccw. Easy way to be made or targeted.

Uncle Sam made me wear cover, when I worked at the prison we had to wear our cabbie hat, at the department we were supposed to wear the Trooper hats but most only put them on during traffic stops. When left to my own devices though I have just never cared to wear one. Hats do seem eminently practical though, perhaps even more so for our purposes. Do those of you who wear hats regularly wear them because you like to, or because it is practical?

I should add because I wasn't clear in the OP. I am not looking for hats that are more tactical than others, but rather if anyone thinks it is a reasonable action to wear a hat when you normally aren't a hat person solely for its tactical/practical application.
    Last edited by MVS; 01-10-2016 at 09:29 PM.

I wear hats pretty regularly with casual dress. My preferred lid of choice is a New Era model 5950, the on-field cap of Major League Baseball and the official sideline hats in the NFL. I played baseball through college + a couple years toiling in independent leagues after, all as a pitcher past high school. It was on the mound that prompted me to stop bending the bills of my hats, simply to have the ability to see the runner taking his lead at 1st base out of my periphery. The same idea continues to this day- a flatter bill gives me an unobstructed view of my surroundings. I used to like hats with a low crown that fit the shape of my skull, and those hats tend to have a more naturally curved bill right out of the box. Many people prefer this style and I have some(a Tactical Tailor subdued flag in Kryptek is my favorite of this style) but the high crown, flat bill 5950 reigns king in terms of awareness ability. It's almost exclusively a sports team hat but I have a Seattle Seahawks 5950 in woodland camo and another in a digital camo pattern to satisfy the Timmy in me.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Uncle Sam made me wear cover, when I worked at the prison we had to wear our cabbie hat, at the department we were supposed to wear the Trooper hats but most only put them on during traffic stops. When left to my own devices though I have just never cared to wear one. Hats do seem eminently practical though, perhaps even more so for our purposes. Do those of you who wear hats regularly wear them because you like to, or because it is practical?

I should add because I wasn't clear in the OP. I am not looking for hats that are more tactical than others, but rather if anyone thinks it is a reasonable action to wear a hat when you normally aren't a hat person solely for its tactical/practical application.
    I never wear hats, I have never felt like they accomplished anything for me. I much rather have a pair of sunglasses riding on top of my head.

I'll wear one in the winter. Sometimes when I play golf. That's about it. Nothing "tactical".

I have to wear a hat at work, so I hardly ever wear one on my own time. I've tried wearing a ball cap at the range, but it always winds up in the range bag before I'm done.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Arcteryx bac
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List